Malaria at Edfu

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Malaria at Edfu

Post by Brian Yare »

Egypt fights malaria outbreak in Aswan: Official

11 residents of same village in Edfu, east Aswan, have all been diagnosed with malaria, sparking efforts from the health ministry to contain disease.

Egypt's health ministry announced on Friday that a total of 11 citizens have tested positive for malaria in Upper Egypt's Aswan, reported Al-Ahram's Arabic news website.

Amr Qandil, a senior ministry official, said in a press statement that the infected cases, who are currently at Edfu Fever Hospital, all come from Al-Adwa village in Edfu, east Aswan.

He added that a medical team has been dispatched a few days ago to the area in an effort to prevent an outbreak of the disease.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent ... icial.aspx

Lisak

Re: Malaria at Edfu

Post by Lisak »

But how can one contain an outbreak, it is not as if it is spread among human contact is it?
Mind you I have always thought that Malaria MUST be somewhere in Egypt, too much stagnant water for there not to be.
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I think there have been pockets in Egypt that have been known for malaria but they were up in a more northern area. (Not 100% sure of my facts but have it in the back of my mind.)

I wonder if by prevention they mean donating mosquito nets and trying to educate people about local small areas of stagnant water than can be dealt with. I also wonder if they are perhaps going to introduce a programme such as the one MSF are running in Mali which is a course of preventative 'chemo' tablets for children. See this link - click on the bottom centre arrow in the interactive map: http://www.msf.org.uk/malaria?utm_sourc ... rm=malaria
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I remember some three years ago that the internet reported a case from the Nile Delta region but the powers that be totally denied the existence of malaria in Egypt. You only have to look at other parts of the world to see that global warming has enabled otherwise unknown insects in that part of the world to suddenly start to appear. Many years ago termites, scorpions and other critters made themselves know down south in the UK for the first time. I think this malaria problem will only get worse here over the coming years, another nail in the tourist coffin. The part of Aswan affected is where my friends sister has moved to after getting wed and she has told me that her sister commented that there seemed to be more mosquitoes there than in this part of Egypt.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Azurite

Post by Azurite »

Re whether it's spread by human contact or not. If someone travels to an affected area and becomes infected by being bitten by a mosquito that is carrying malaria that infected blood is then passed on to the next person to be bitten, and then it will just carry on.

So someone must have been to an infected area without taking the tablets, which is a concern because it now puts everyone else in the Edfu region at risk as more mosquitos will be picking up and spreading the disease.

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Aida, 'her next door got stung twice yesterday by a scorpion, also yesterday I found one in my plunge pool and another in my sink, perhaps there is an invasion doesn't bother me much unless I ponder it to deeply then check my bed and my shoes... :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Billy_whiz

Post by Billy_whiz »

Talking about scorpions, we have found 3 in the last 2 days. The first one I thought was one of those big black ants, but it didn't run, sort of shuffled along so I looked closer and was surprised to find it was a tiny scorpion (checked on the internet and found a picture of exactly the same thing). A long spray with Raid sorted him out! Then my other half found a big one in the garden and his mate used our outside toilet and found a massive one in there - thank goodness I don't use the outside facilities! lol

Does anybody know if there is some powder or spray stuff that we can put down around the garden, verandah or house to kill them off?

And also, are they really dangerous? I am aware that some varieties can kill people with their sting, but are those varieties around here? I am not very good with bugs and stuff and find them a bit scary so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation :)

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

A friend of mine has a shop where he sells blankets, he stores some of his stock in the back room, one day his little boy was jumping up and down on the blankets, he was stung by a scorpion and later died. So yes they are dangerous someone once told me that all the pharmacists have anti snake bite and scorpion venom, don't know if it is true.
In all the time living here I have never seen one.

Billy_whiz

Post by Billy_whiz »

A few of my husband's family have been stung over the years and they apparently don't go to a doctor or hospital, they go to a man who does something with a knife to get the poison out, which sounds horrible to me but obviously has done the trick. Fingers (and everything else) crossed I don't encounter another one :sd

PS - What did the good doctor's neighbour Aida do about her stings? Did she see a doctor straight away?

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Aida has got up and is hobbling around, she was stung twice and a Dr arrived but I am unaware of his treatment. I still have one alive in my fridge after 2 weeks.. :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Billy_whiz wrote:A few of my husband's family have been stung over the years and they apparently don't go to a doctor or hospital, they go to a man who does something with a knife to get the poison out, which sounds horrible to me but obviously has done the trick.
When travelling across the Sahara many years ago one of my companions was stung by a scorpion. The local children caught it, chopped of it's tale and presented it to the man who took my friend off to the nearest doctor - the military camp some miles away. The doctor cut into the wound with a scalpel and then put a black powder into the wound (which we believe was gunpowder). My friend had to stay in the hospital a couple of days as he had a high fever - delirious at times. When he came back to us, still very unwell, he said he wasn't sure at the time of arriving at the doctors what to be more worried about - the actual sting or the (as he described) rusty scalpel and black powder! Thankfully he made a full recovery and, as a medical student at the time, he had an interesting story to tell his fellow students and lecturers when he got back.

Edit: forgot to say - apparently the reason the children chopped off the tail of the scorpion was to do with the number of rings on it which would identify exactly which type of scorpion it was and how deadly it could possibly be.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy »

Two more malaria cases reported in Egypt’s Aswan.

Two more cases of malaria have been reported in Edfu's fever hospital in Aswan governorate, reported Al-Ahram's Arabic website.

Fifteen other cases have been reported in the area since May, although two of the patients have been cured and left hospital, according to the deputy health minister responsible for Aswan, Mohamed Azmy.

Egypt suffered from a malaria epidemic from 1942-1944, when around one million people were infected and 200,000 died.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/103114.aspx