How many boats?

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

How many boats?

Post by Scottishtourist »

How many boats are currently sailing the Nile?
Cruise boats,I mean.
Is it busy?

I've just come back from holiday in Hurghada.The logistics of travelling to Luxor were just too much...even for me,so I stayed put there and felt it was 12 days too long!
Our friends from Luxor came to visit for a couple of days.I was a tad surprised when they went back home.We would've booked "Gaddis"for a week or so and visited...but our friends said that they had apprehensions about taking us there!
It had nothing to do with the cost.It had everything to do with security.
Too many problems,they said...and they didn't have GUN in car for their own and others protection!What a sad state of affairs.And I'd believe them before I'd believe others!

Anyway..now thinking of the three day(or whatever) Nile Cruise event.But I've had varying reports!
One friend says that there's only about 4 boats running!To my mind...they'll be expensive.

Can anyone clarify for me?
How busy is the Nile with cruise boats?
Last thing I want is to be floating about all alone!

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: How many boats?

Post by Zooropa »

You wont be alone if you cruise at the same time as me! :D

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

There are tourist traveling between Hurghada and Luxor everyday. The only difference too a few months back is there are more checkpoints and car searches, if you had been traveling in a car with a gun inside you would have had more trouble than if not thats one of the things they are checking for. The road is 10 times better than it used to be.

There are not too many visitors at the moment so I doubt there are many boats sailing.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

:song:
Scottishtourist wrote:Last thing I want is to be floating about all alone!
:ls:
Zooropa wrote:You wont be alone if you cruise at the same time as me! :D
:2luv:

:ks That is so romantic :ksd

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

It's on again then Zooropa and ST must start saving for my hat again.
When I went to Gebil Silsila saw about four or five boats sailing past with, not many, tourists on board. They all seem to set off from the bridge now.
I went to Hurgada not long ago ST with friends but came back alone no problem and felt very safe.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I can understand you not wanting to be alone while cruising as you wouldn't have anyone to moan and complain to. Still, us on here would reap the benefits at a later date when you have recovered yourself after yet another most horrendous holiday experience, I suppose. :D You could always give us the thumbs up to an approximate time you would be going under the bridge as we could all line the top waving you off up the swanee river. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

How difficult can it be to get from Hurghada to Luxor and back! Not at all if I'm to believe (and I have no reason not to) the many people who have been travelling this route - both during the UK advise not to and since - to achieve their holiday destination goal.

Have you spoken to your friends from Luxor about your idea to go on a Nile Cruise? If they don't think it's safe for you to travel the Luxor - Hurghada road or to stay in the Gaddis in Luxor, I can't imagine they would think a Nile Cruise is safe for you either. How would you get to or from Luxor and Aswan anyway to achieve this?
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote:How difficult can it be to get from Hurghada to Luxor and back! Not at all if I'm to believe (and I have no reason not to) the many people who have been travelling this route - both during the UK advise not to and since - to achieve their holiday destination goal.

Have you spoken to your friends from Luxor about your idea to go on a Nile Cruise? If they don't think it's safe for you to travel the Luxor - Hurghada road or to stay in the Gaddis in Luxor, I can't imagine they would think a Nile Cruise is safe for you either. How would you get to or from Luxor and Aswan anyway to achieve this?

I drove from Hurghada to Luxor, and back, 4 times last month. Apart from a couple of patches the road is excellent. It took 3.5 hours each way and I was never stopped....not even once.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

newcastle wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote:How difficult can it be to get from Hurghada to Luxor and back! Not at all if I'm to believe (and I have no reason not to) the many people who have been travelling this route - both during the UK advise not to and since - to achieve their holiday destination goal.

I drove from Hurghada to Luxor, and back, 4 times last month. Apart from a couple of patches the road is excellent. It took 3.5 hours each way and I was never stopped....not even once.
Really! That's interesting. Kind of what I expected actually. :) ;)
-Aldous Huxley

timetraveller

Post by timetraveller »

I've just been to and fro Luxor and Hurghada and have to say there were no problems at all. Much of the road has been resurfaced which makes the journey quicker and more comfortable. The checkpoints were all in operation and there was absolutely nothing to suggest that it might not be safe. And as for complicated logistics :ni: What's complicated? You choose your desired mode of transport , hired car/taxi or bus such as Superjet or Go Bus and you get on at one end and get off at the other! What was nice to see was that Hurghada was busy,busier than I have seen it for about three years! :)

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

As an ex, ex-pat and now tourist in Luxor, I recently wanted to do the usual cruise up to Asswan and return by train, however I was told that such train journeys at that time were not really that safe, therefore I did not travel at all.

I live in London, we have seen a number terrorist outrages over the years, they happen when you least expect them, though we live with that fact. If a true tourist is killed on the Luxor - Hurgarda highway, it is world news. If a European living in Egypt came to such a similar cropper then the Egyptian governments statement would be that,.........a person living in Egypt should have known better than to take such risks with there lives, during the present national civil unrest.

YES, Scottishtourist should be concerned, like any other tourist of the day to day effects that can cause problems ANYWHERE in Egypt.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

All these people I referred to are Tourists who have flown easyJet to Hurghada then travel to Luxor and returned to Hurghada to catch the return flight .
There are also coaches making the journey everyday with Tourist visiting from the Red Sea. A lot of companies are offering cruises and Red Sea so they are also traveling the road.
While no one can guarantee anything probably the biggest danger ST might have faced was getting caught in a vehicle with a gun in it.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

If you decide to hide within the confines of your home over here because of feelings of ''what if,'' then the terrorist has won. I would of thought that if living in the likes of say, the UK, and the ''what if'' feelings are rife within your thoughts then save your money, stay at home worry free. But as A-four states, a worry free environment is virtually nonexistent today.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

Dusak wrote:If you decide to hide within the confines of your home over here because of feelings of ''what if,'' then the terrorist has won. I would of thought that if living in the likes of say, the UK, and the ''what if'' feelings are rife within your thoughts then save your money, stay at home worry free. But as A-four states, a worry free environment is virtually nonexistent today.
Regarding travel between Hurghada and Luxor (or at least Qena) It is generally advised to travel only in daylight (except maybe by coach).

If taking a private car or taxi I would suggest that it is polite also to allow the driver to make the return journey during daylight, allowing also an hour or so for a lunch break.

So, if using a driver from Luxor, I would arrange to leave Luxor no later than 10 a.m., or to leave Hurghada between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m., or factor in the price of overnight accommodation for the driver.

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

I saw nothing what so ever to concern me on our trip to Hurghada this week. Took a taxi from Luxor, had a smooth eventless journey there, and same going back. All the checkpoints noticed us, and one did a slightly longer check on who we were.

I did not feel unsafe or worried at any point. In fact, when I was like a plastic duck in a shooting gallery, ie the convoy, I felt a dam site more at risk.

I grew up in the UK with the threat of terrorism from the IRA, I was in Warrington the morning the bomb went off and I carried on living because I am not going to stop living my life based on the 'what if' factor. I could get run over by a local bus while I potter around Luxor.

If asked, I would say yes, do the drive, with a sensible driver in daylight hours and enjoy the journey. If we all stop enjoying our lives for what might happen, the terrorists have won.
Stand up to be seen
Speak up to be heard
Shut up to be appreciated

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

A-Four wrote:
YES, Scottishtourist should be concerned, like any other tourist of the day to day effects that can cause problems ANYWHERE in Egypt.
We should all be concerned - tourists or 'local' - of the day to day effect that can cause problems ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD!
Having weighed up the situation for ourselves - a complicated matter of visual and aural information and clues with a big dash of instinct and common sense thrown in - we can then make a decision.

In Scottishtourist's case I still don't understand how a Nile Cruise may seem safer, especially when it is likely to involve road travel in one direction.
-Aldous Huxley

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

HEPZIBAH wrote:In Scottishtourist's case I still don't understand how a Nile Cruise may seem safer, especially when it is likely to involve road travel in one direction.
With the number of Nile Cruisers going up in flames in recent years road travel might well be safer.

But back to the original question: during my latest stay in Luxor in April, and based on boat movements in the city centre and around the bridge, I would guestimate that between 5% and 10% of all boats are currently working, and that very few are more than 20% full.

On a different subject, if I were in charge of Luxor I would be charging a hefty price per cabin per night (occupied or not) for any boats moored in the city centre. And a much more attractive price for mooring well away from the city. Penalty for not paying the mooring fee would be confiscation of the vessel. The object would be to get the empty hulks away from the city centre where they blot the view for everyone and passengers from those few vessels in use must cross them to get to the corniche.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Ten years or so ago, taking the first cruse I was always amused when the boat slowed down to take on the small cannon the police/army used to have placed at the front of the boat only to be taken off just before berthing back in Luxor. I asked a member of the crew what it was in aid off. He told me in case pirates attempted to board the ship. :lol: And that was before any troubles as such. The waters are full of the blighters now, calling themselves Faluka and motor boat captains.