What if they don't come back?

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

What if they don't come back?

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sat May 10, 2014 7:45 pm

Tourists, that is.

Sometimes finding an answer requires actually asking the right question in the first place.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Re: What if they don't come back?

Post by Bombay » Sat May 10, 2014 8:02 pm

But they are coming back even if its slowly. Thomson flight this week was full it's joined by another from November. Cosmos are looking to return later. Four flights from Germany joining the existing four flights were starting this month these have all be put on hold due to the German Travel Advisory to Sinai and the flights were stopping a Taba on the return leg.
No one believes it will be overnight but it will improve.
It took 3 years after Hatshepsut.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Sat May 10, 2014 8:27 pm

Bombay wrote:But they are coming back even if its slowly. Thomson flight this week was full it's joined by another from November. Cosmos are looking to return later. Four flights from Germany joining the existing four flights were starting this month these have all be put on hold due to the German Travel Advisory to Sinai and the flights were stopping a Taba on the return leg.
And dare I say it, im looking at the Thomson cruise and stay deals because of lack of alternative flights and its looking competitive....

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sat May 10, 2014 8:37 pm

OK everything is looking up but we have to face elections yet and the disruption that might cause. Lets be honest no one knows what is going to happen. The raising of utility prices will cause further unrest. If Thomsons have to pull their guests out again then that will be the end. I am not optimistic.
Like Dr Who even if things do stay on an even keel I doubt that Luxor will ever see the number of tourists that it did in the past.
If they don't come back? Well I have no idea.

Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Bearded Brian » Sat May 10, 2014 8:53 pm

My initial, selfish, reaction is 'great and I hope they don't come back' but without the masses (or at least a sizeable increase in numbers) the facilities and choices available now will, more than likely, disappear and what will be left will be more expensive. I'm with Carrie on this one and I'm not optimistic that the numbers will increase in the foreseeable future.

What will happen if they don't come back? A lot will depend on what the Government can do to provide or encourage new jobs in Luxor.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Sat May 10, 2014 9:01 pm

The government could open a "sod off tourists" t shirt factory.

I know of some locals who would buy a load!

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sat May 10, 2014 9:03 pm

I read an article in one of the Egyptian papers a couple hours ago. Tourism is only at 5% in Luxor now. That may be an improvement on last August, but it certainly doesn't make Luxor a touristic city.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Sat May 10, 2014 9:59 pm

Well they'll just have to find another way to make a living if the tourists don't come back!Just like the rest of us do when faced with adversity!
There must be employment in other sectors and not just tourism!
In my opinion the "tourist"industry was an easy fast earner for a lot of un-educated people.
"Give us your money,help my family,we are poor"was the war-cry!
Well I'll give them the same advice I gave to my kids!
Get off your lazy backsides,get an education,get a trade/career,re-train if necessary.
Don't ever depend on anyone else to pay your way for you.In this life you get nothing for nothing!Hard work and honesty DOES pay!
It's time people realised that!

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Sat May 10, 2014 10:10 pm

Whilst I agree and applaud the ideals that you extoll in your post ST I think the situation in Egypt is not as black and white as that.

Finding alternative jobs away from an industry that is decimated requires positive government action.

There has to be a job to re train for.

Given the comment from one Egyptian official a while ago when he said of the potential food shortage "god will provide" my hopes are not high of any help coming from the government.

Or from "God" either.

Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Bearded Brian » Sat May 10, 2014 10:15 pm

I agree with most of what you say ST but there is very little in the way of 'other' jobs in Luxor and not much more in any other part of Egypt. They need to build condom factories and a soylent green factory and attack the main problem from both ends.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Sat May 10, 2014 10:35 pm

Zooropa wrote:
Bombay wrote:But they are coming back even if its slowly. Thomson flight this week was full it's joined by another from November. Cosmos are looking to return later. Four flights from Germany joining the existing four flights were starting this month these have all be put on hold due to the German Travel Advisory to Sinai and the flights were stopping a Taba on the return leg.
And dare I say it, im looking at the Thomson cruise and stay deals because of lack of alternative flights and its looking competitive....
Or I should say the deals in the brochure look ok but the website is just hanging.......

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sun May 11, 2014 7:51 am

**** me O'Reilly, not another tourist please come back post. :cry:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sun May 11, 2014 9:35 am

Where? I don't see one.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sun May 11, 2014 12:19 pm

Scottishtourist wrote:Well they'll just have to find another way to make a living if the tourists don't come back!Just like the rest of us do when faced with adversity!
There must be employment in other sectors and not just tourism!
In my opinion the "tourist"industry was an easy fast earner for a lot of un-educated people.
"Give us your money,help my family,we are poor"was the war-cry!
Well I'll give them the same advice I gave to my kids!
Get off your lazy backsides,get an education,get a trade/career,re-train if necessary.
Don't ever depend on anyone else to pay your way for you.In this life you get nothing for nothing!Hard work and honesty DOES pay
!
It's time people realised that!
I think many people would agree with that. However, your kids and those like them in the UK would have had the advantage of having educational opportunities from the age of 5, if not earlier, until they were at least 16 with further opportunities available after that age. OK, we know there have been problems with some schools in the UK providing all they should but, by and large, the education provided in the UK has been compulsory and that has been monitored. Standards have had to be reached but the facilities - teaching and aids - have been there to help reach those standards. The education system for much of Egypt, and certainly much of Luxor, just does not does not come anywhere near close to that mark. In the UK the kids would also have benefitted from parents, and possibly other family members, who have benefitted from at least a decent basic education and have learnt some study skills themselves and are able to help and encourage the children maintain at least that basic level but often to help push them forward. After the age of 16 it has, for at least the past 30 or so years been relatively easy to continue into one form of higher education - be that sixth form collage and preparation for university, or government run schemes that have been similar to apprenticeships i.e sponsored education towards a specific career - schemes such as YTS, TOPs etc.

Most of the UK has areas where there is trade and industry relatively close to most towns. In some areas it has been a major industry has been the monopoly employer but there has still been opportunities for various forms of employment within those industries.

When all else has failed there has always been government support by way of the dole, job seekers allowance etc.

Many of the men from Luxor have got off their backsides and tried to find work in other places. I know some who years ago left to work in the oil fields of a neighbouring country. They were treated like slaves doing very dangerous work for relatively little pay but at least what they earnt they were able to send most home to support the families they never saw anymore. In more recent years they seem to have been chasing the work in the only industry they know - tourism - around the country. The problem there is that even the gold mine was Sharm el Sheik is seeing fewer tourists and there a less job opportunities but greater exploitation of staff - e.g. accommodation fees being high for grotty shared rooms - and many only making enough to live on and not to be able to send back home. This has pushed many men to just go back home feeling useless and with no prospects of being able to train or retrain because there just are not the opportunities for them to do this.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Sun May 11, 2014 12:41 pm

The UK largest employer is the Hospitality & Leisure industry. Of course if tourists stop visiting the Uk those people could go and make cars or airplanes, dig for coal make cotton in the mills, build ships or make steel the list goes on! Oh sorry I have just been for a ride in the Tardis.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sun May 11, 2014 12:45 pm

Hepzi-That was an excellent, thoughtful post.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sun May 11, 2014 12:49 pm

Bombay wrote:The UK largest employer is the Hospitality & Leisure industry. Of course if tourists stop visiting the Uk those people could go and make cars or airplanes, dig for coal make cotton in the mills, build ships or make steel the list goes on! Oh sorry I have just been for a ride in the Tardis.
And who do you think designed and built your Tardis? 8) :lol:

Curiously, I trained in the Hospitality and Leisure industry but used those skills in another field (pretty literally at times! ;-) ). Most skills in life are transferable or adaptable, assuming you've had the opportunity to learn those skills in the first place.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Maakari

Post by Maakari » Sun May 11, 2014 1:20 pm

I had said it before and I will say it again. Yes some people, and this is all over the world, will sit back on their fat as##ses and expect the world to feed and keep them. (Prime example, the much discussed tv programmme, "Benefits street" )
But as Hepzibahs post tells us, we are lucky here that our peoples have got the chance and , at least the basic education, to find alternative job opportunities if their career is curtailed or the industry that they work in goes "Bust"
You hear a lot of people saying who are on Benefits (before you all pounce, NOT ALL!) "OOOOH It is not worth working, I can get more staying in my home on my Bum!".
As she said a lot of men here have been travelling further afield than Luxor to get work, often just to live in the locale of their new job, with no extra to send home. But they do it. They can be taken advantage of with the standard statement dished out of "if you don't like it, there are a million others to take your place" and appalling living conditions.
My T' other half put himself through Uni and through hard work got his degree. He was so proud. He started work when he was 15 years old. the school he was at said to his parents that he was very intelligent and should go to university, but no, to support his family he was pulled out of education.He worked all of his life in the Tourism sector. Now with his degree, he still has not got the chance at working in his dream career. But, he will not sit back.He has not got the luxury of doing that. No benefits, no handouts, no sickness pay,food bank, or dental free treatment will land in his lap.
He is on his way as we speak to do a job that is not of his choosing, and hundreds of miles away,but he going to do it anyway. It is work, not too bad money, and it gives him a sense of normality and pride that he can provide a way way of living for himself and help to his family. Good for him.
I live in quite an affluent area of the UK (MILLIONARES PLAYGROUND 2 MILES AWAY) AND I, myself know at least 5 people that do the exact opposite of this attitude, and they milk the system. They should take a leaf from the book that is written on some of the unemployed in Luxor and other areas of Egypt where tourism has taken a nose dive.
They help them selves....coz no other Bugger is going to do it for them.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Sun May 11, 2014 1:25 pm

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Bombay wrote:The UK largest employer is the Hospitality & Leisure industry. Of course if tourists stop visiting the Uk those people could go and make cars or airplanes, dig for coal make cotton in the mills, build ships or make steel the list goes on! Oh sorry I have just been for a ride in the Tardis.
And who do you think designed and built your Tardis? 8) :lol:

Curiously, I trained in the Hospitality and Leisure industry but used those skills in another field (pretty literally at times! ;-) ). Most skills in life are transferable or adaptable, assuming you've had the opportunity to learn those skills in the first place.
Someone 50 years ago

Nwilliams

Post by Nwilliams » Sun May 11, 2014 8:16 pm

I have posted on this subject before and I know from friends who live in luxor how quiet it is but we are planning a holiday in july to come to luxor and on a lot of the rooms sites they are saying they have sold out [isis hotel ] is one saying this and also the cost for flights alone without hotel for 2 people its £ 1000 gbps and then we have to get to heathrow from leeds so before any spend we are looking at nearly £1500 for a 2 week holiday so unless someone does something I am afraid the situation is not going to change in the near future