NOW is the time.

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

NOW is the time.

Post by A-Four »

NOW is the the time to see the tombs of the pharaohhs. Cruising the Nile will never be cheaper or less busy.

That is the main headline of a full page advertisement in a weekly newspaper called The Wharf, a rather exclusive organ for the people who live and/or work around the business district of London, known as Canary Wharf. A travel writer gives a glowing picture of her cruise down the Nile, with a equally glowing picture of her visit to the monuments in Luxor. However makes no comment of Luxor town.

The writer's comment with regards Hatshpsut's Temple shows naivety,......'Backed by limestone cliffs, this extraordinary monument looks almost modern, with clean lines cut of the rock. It resembles something from the 20's rather than a monument created over 3,000 years ago'................This comment should raise a smile from at least Glyph, if no one else on here.

This person goes on to inform us that there were some 300 cruise boats on the Nile, before the troubles, now there are only thirteen, and further informs us that the views from her cruise boat of every day life, seems not to have changed in hundreds of year, etc, etc,.......you know the rest.

Why I have brought this to your attention, is the fact that most people in the early 80's first saw such adverts in their LOCAL newspapers, and they would promote and arrange such holidays, and certainly were the precursor of such as Thomson etc.

Incidentally, the short four, yes four night cruise inc, flights, transfers, accommodation on the cruise boat Sanctury Sun Boat I V, meals and sightseeing,........which included Dendara and Asswan (no wonder the writer had no free time in Luxor.) The price a 'bargain' at £1,395, well that might be fine for Canary Wharf people, though I suppose DJKeefy could come up with a better price.

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: NOW is the time.

Post by Bullet Magnet »

AH, long gone are the days from my first travels to Luxor..
412 UK Pounds for the 2 of us, for a week long stay at the underrated Mercure Inn on Temple street, back in 2006...

Wonderful Views of Luxor temple from the front, and one of the tallest palm tree's I have seen in Luxor, adorned with coloured lights, by the pool.
in the back rooms, peace and quiet, and the enchanting evening smell of the Winter Palace gardens drifting onto your balcony..

I recall that just before the revolution kicked in, the prices started to climb, and never recovered after that ...

Nile Cruises are all well and good, if not a little pricey, but I would be like a Lion in a cage on one of those boats..
maybe when I become an octogenarian, then I may reconsider.. :tk
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

What you Bullet so eloquently have written above is one of the main characters of fact why so many tourist in the past visited Luxor, and many returned year after year. It was not just the sights around Luxor, but the hotels that made the whole holiday experience a wonderful treat, and I am sure you and most others returned home, and was only too pleased to tell people of how wonderful your stay was.

I remember when this hotel first opened, a then, quite young Mr Nadgi became its manager, as you went up the steps to enter this hotel, flanked either side by carved stone seated lions, you could tell real money had been spent to ensure your stay would be perfect, and it was.

That WELCOME you heard 10 - 20 years ago, not just in your hotels, but also in the street was genuine, a certain old fashion charm, that sad to say, has gone the same way that hotel and many others have gone the same way.

P.S. - Some one elsewhere on here asks,.........So, what will bring the tourists back.

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

You talk of a different kind of tourist here, educated, interesting and enquiring minds, 'the traveler and not the tourist the latter that eventually bought Luxor to it's knees. I'm glad the scales tipped back to the enquiring-mind those were the heydays of Luxor, it will return it's just 'the the margate mob will go back to benidorm or sharm or florida,
"f**in good riddance to them and not before time, I for one do not want the tourist industry back here. 'god forbid 30 years was long enough**.... :cool:
Ps: and anybody with a business better get their entrepreneurial skills in damn quick order or go under. "That's Life!
Pss: ** I also include the sex tourism in that as well.....
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

I stayed at a budget hotel, amazed with the value of 40 gineh BB. I just needed a place to sleep after long days of incredible sightseeing. I found a backpacker hotel with a roof where I would go and enjoy a Stella at sunset, not even worrying if it was licensed.

:br

My cruise was a felucca from Aswan to Kom Ombo and a minibus in the convoy to Edfu and Luxor, where I did not know what to expect apart from the temples and tombs that were my reason to choose Luxor as part of my first trip to Egypt. I had planned to spend five days in Luxor but ended up enjoying two weeks and after a month I was back to stay. Nine years later, I am still here most of the time. My three days in Aswan turned into a five day adventure, finding what I had imagined and much, much more.

I had not seen Egypt advertised for years, but had no reason not to jump on a plane to Cairo and see what happened. I spend my money on gold and private drivers and would probably do something similar, had I come here for the first time today.

:bp:

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

I do recall 8-9 years ago a tour that attracted the kind of people that Who is talking about cost about $300 a night, which is similar to the prices being touted in this ad.

People with money are likely to be better-traveled, have more exposure to people that are different from them making them more tolerant and open, and probably as a result are a bit more adventurous and perhaps less risk-adverse.

Exposed to that kind of visitor as opposed to the one who picked Egypt simply because it was the cheapest deal with guaranteed sun, hotel staff might have a more positive view and attitude toward visitors.

Interaction between locals and visitors is always a two way street.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Who2 wrote:You talk of a different kind of tourist here, educated, interesting and enquiring minds, 'the traveler and not the tourist the latter that eventually bought Luxor to it's knees. ....
I suppose I have to agree with you Dr, years past, I was often in discussion with such hotel managers and senior staff, who would remind me of the deteriorating quality of its guest, and where often staff had always to remain polite even when you got attitude of some guests of,...............'I will walk through this hotel, which ever way I so wish' and 'I've paid my money, I bring into this (five star) hotel what ever I want, even my Egyptian friend'.

Thinking about it, you are probably right about Margate.

Alistair1967

Post by Alistair1967 »

I have to disagree with some of the views expressed here, it's too easy put all package visitors under the 'Benidorm' banner. Just because someone arrives on a charter flight, that marks them as an uneducated, beer-swilling lout? I think not.

Maybe a different business plan is required, - there is now far too much supply chasing a tiny demand - but the writing was on the wall for Luxor as soon as the Red Sea resorts became sufficiently developed to cope with mass volume. Beaches and snorkelling, with some infrastructure for kids as well, or traipsing around Karnak in the heat - which do you think appeals more to the mass psyche? Which, in a way, backs up George's point, but doesn't justify the lofty dismissal of most 'tourists'. Luxor now needs imagination and to present as positive an image as possible to our media-lead world.

P.S. No need to build nightclubs, there are many (potential) moored up south of town, away from the main population centre, a short taxi ride away...

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Luxor was the Monte Carlo of Egypt until Cosmos, Thompson's et al decided to bring us the cheap package holidays, I should know, I started in Spain in 67 with 15 mates, then Italy then Ibetha and Greece. Just pure cheap hedonism. Luxor never was and never will be that place, it just conned stupid idiots into opening stupid shops selling to stupid people for 30 years, they the tourist industry has just moved on, it's what they do.
"If everything is cheap, you get cheap, raise the prices, get rid of cheap end rubbish because in the end you 'get what you pay for.... rant over... :cool:
Sophocles.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa »

I spent 3 months off work at the beginning of the year so consequently I was looking for something cost effective due to lack of funds.

First I looked at 2 weeks in Luxor - its cheap enough on that bases but if im being honest im not sure two weeks in Luxor in the current climate would be enough to convince me to book.

Its just too quiet.

On one night last year i went to King Tut and was the only diner there, the boss sat on the next table talking to me as I ate and even though my hotel is just across the road it felt like running the gauntlet trying to avoid the taxi and carriage drivers, and of course, getting called a c**t because I refused a 25 yard ride didn't really add to my experience.

There is a chance my daughter may join me this year so I started looking at slotting Cairo in.

If she does then I will be doing 3 nights Cairo, 7 night cruise and 4 nights Luxor, the extra cost is only about £200 - £300 and as sad as I am to say it 4 nights in Luxor is preferable to 7.

Some say cruising is expensive but I pay around £500 for that part of my package and you just cant match that considering the places you visit, the cost of flights/taxis/meals and accommodation to see all the places independently would not only exceed that cost but it would take longer, the beauty of cruise is that the travel in between destinations is just as pleasurable as the rest of it.

I go all inclusive so I spend virtually nothing for the duration of the cruise - last year I spent over £500 for the seven days I was in Luxor with the cost of the hotel and drinks and 2 meals a day on top of that.

I couldn't care less if im judged as a package tourist and assumptions are made about my class, I don't go to Egypt to please any ex pats who might think im an eyesore on Luxor's face, the reason I have a little money is that im careful how I spend it.

Some might rejoice at the end of mass tourism to Luxor but I don't think the indigenous people are celebrating.

As I mentioned in another post, reemploying the majority of the populace in the current climate with the lack of education of many and also a lack of experience in another trade is going to take a long, long time.

And that is a tragedy.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

For me, it's not about judging people based on class. It's more about what would benefit the local economy more and put less pressure on natural resources and monuments. A small increase in the number of wealthy visitors is better than a large increase in less well-off visitors. All-inclusive package tourists put far less money into the local economy than a rich person who seeks out unique and non-package experiences. Even a cheap backpacker actually may put more money into the local economy than an all-inclusive package tourist, to be honest.

There are some customers that are just better for your bottom line than others that it is better to attract. That's a fact of life in any industry.

That is, if there were enough in Luxor to attract wealthy visitors, which I don't think there is at the moment. And there is no incentive to develop it at the moment either, so it's kind of a moot point.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa »

Personally, I only go all inclusive on the cruise boat because the drinks are controlled by a monopoly and I am not paying £4+ for an at best average beer.

Spirits are even more ridiculously priced.

Im not a big drinker, my preferred drink being Tea but I wont subject myself to a cartel that wants to cash in.

Luxor is a different kettle of fish I go bed and breakfast and eat in the local eateries and cafes etc.

I like to think I do my bit for the local economy when in Luxor and restricting my bar tab on the cruise boat does not in my opinion affect the most deserving people in Egypt.

I absolutely agree that all inclusive is not good for Luxor residents but another factor at play here is the fact that some people on hearing about the "hassle" in Luxor will go AI to avoid it.

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Plus the fact that from what I've read and heard (on here) there aren't that many choices to eat at!

dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby »

Ruby Slippers wrote:Plus the fact that from what I've read and heard (on here) there aren't that many choices to eat at!

Things have greatly improved RS lots of restaurants are back on track with the quality of food and some have added entertainment to, hardly recognised the town :)
It is what it is.

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I find myself somewhat resenting your comment that wealth seems to confer superior intelligence though, Glyphdoctor! You may not have meant this - indeed, I hope you didn't, - but that is how your attitude comes across. :urm:

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Ruby Slippers wrote:I find myself somewhat resenting your comment that wealth seems to confer superior intelligence though, Glyphdoctor! You may not have meant this - indeed, I hope you didn't, - but that is how your attitude comes across. :urm:
I can't see that GD's remarks had anything to do with intelligence......just the simple observation that wealthier tourists are likely to be of greater benefit to the local economy. I agree....Luxor needs to go "up market".

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Yeah, I didn't mention intelligence at all. I didn't even imply it. And how would wealth make someone smarter? That's really an odd suggestion.

Maybe you have an issue with one of Who2's comments and not mine?

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

My apologies for misinterpreting your post, GD.

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I paid 98 quid inc flight & 10 days in the Emilio when I first came here.
Doesn't mean I am of less intelligence, what I am addressing is the 'kiss me quick and flag t-shirt mentalities I rail against them, always have always will. You all know them, we British are well travelled these-days going back over 40 years when travel got cheap and one's intelligence was enhanced as was Blue Nun and Bullsblood and garlic... :cool:
"Be honest 1970 Torremolinas & Lloret de Mar, fish & chips and Watneys Red Barrel 45 quid all in....'a bargin innit ?
Sophocles.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I've had and known a great deal of ''the well off'' in my time as friends as a business owner in the UK thirty years prior to coming here and on the whole they tend to be tight wads. They will spend out on their own 'bling' to turn heads, buy expensive cars and homes but will not spend on the streets as such while on holiday. Yes they will stay in the ''look what we can afford'' hotels, but do nothing for the local businesses. The so called working class holiday maker, and I know many that used to come here, spend their hard earned money without much thought because they knew how to enjoy themselves, thus benefiting those that need it the most, the ordinary curbside trader and offers from the service providers. The kiss me quick brigade may be disliked by some, but those very same people made many seaside resorts both in the UK and the likes of Spain very rich countries over a very short period of time. Standing around in the lounge of the Winter Palace joining in the 'old boy' network conversations while quaffing back their G&T's do not feed the tourist city's main population.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.