Some tourists enjoy magnificent Luxor

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Some tourists enjoy magnificent Luxor

Post by DJKeefy » Thu May 01, 2014 6:22 pm

Wednesday, April, 30, 2014 photo, tourists visit Luxor Temple, a large ancient Egyptian temple complex on the east bank of the Nile River in Luxor, Egypt.

Egyptian tourism officials, who Wednesday unveiled a replica of the tomb of King Tutankhamun in the desert valley where many of its ancient pharaohs were buried, are hoping the exhibit will help revive a tourism industry that has been heavily battered by the country's unrest since the 2011 uprising that toppled autocrat Hosni Mubarak.

12763 12764
12765 12766

Source and more photos:
http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent ... media.aspx

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Some tourists enjoy magnificent Luxor

Post by A-Four » Thu May 01, 2014 7:53 pm

I can only reiterate what I, in the past have said about this replica, and what the young tourist guide will say this week end in the program the Travel Show, on BBC World, that there are replicas throughout the world, why should they come to see this one.

Yes, I like most people on this site, understand why it must close, however, I will bet with any one on here that the $5,000 group tourist will get in, and this is wrong. World tourism has changed in many ways, concentration on a 'old thing' is very limited these days, and few read about such places before they arrive, you only have to watch the Russians going in and out of the tombs in the King's Valley to realise what I mean.

Luxor must quickly re-invent itself as a modern tourist attraction. The likes of London has proved to be the pathfinder, in bringing in the modern tourist, and used very clever methods, in getting them to part with their cash.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Thu May 01, 2014 9:05 pm

It can't and it won't because everyone who works in the tourism industry blames outside factors for its failures and is waiting for a presidential savior to bring back the tourists. They wouldn't know what is good for them if it hit them on the head so it's just hopeless. They've reaped what they have sown and it's basically scorched earth. Read any news story that mentions antiquities or tourism in Egypt, e.g. the Guardian story about the replica, and you will see in the comments two reasons that people cite for not coming or for warning others not to come-hassle/harassment (especially of women) and their unwillingness to support the current and forthcoming regime.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Thu May 01, 2014 9:24 pm

Sic transit gloria Luxor :cry:

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Thu May 01, 2014 9:26 pm

Some aeroplanes to actually bring people out might help.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Thu May 01, 2014 9:55 pm

A-Four wrote:I can only reiterate what I, in the past have said about this replica, and what the young tourist guide will say this week end in the program the Travel Show, on BBC World, that there are replicas throughout the world, why should they come to see this one.

Yes, I like most people on this site, understand why it must close, however, I will bet with any one on here that the $5,000 group tourist will get in, and this is wrong. World tourism has changed in many ways, concentration on a 'old thing' is very limited these days, and few read about such places before they arrive, you only have to watch the Russians going in and out of the tombs in the King's Valley to realise what I mean.

Luxor must quickly re-invent itself as a modern tourist attraction. The likes of London has proved to be the pathfinder, in bringing in the modern tourist, and used very clever methods, in getting them to part with their cash.
I can't get my head around why anyone would think the Tut replica tomb will boost tourism to Luxor. If people aren't coming to see the 'real thing' why would they suddenly decide to come to see a replica? The replica may ameliorate the effects of closing the original....but that's about it. The future of tourism in Luxor (if it has much of a future) rests on other factors as mentioned here and elsewhere.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Fri May 02, 2014 11:25 am

If your a techno geek, into all things new and clever, then a visit to this replica may be of interest as apparently a lot of new technology went into creating what is on view. So that may encourage about three new tourists to visit. Put those with the photo shoot few in the pictures and Bombay would just about be able to pay his staff wages for the night if they all went for a curry. As has been said, why come to see a copy when no one wants to come to see the real thing? Could of better spent the money this white elephant has cost in a new international advertising campaign instead of catering to some high ups flight of fancy in my opinion.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Fri May 02, 2014 2:45 pm

A4 and Glyph, I have to applaud you in what you both say, and you are both correct to the exact point. Silly and tacky things will turn heads against Luxor rather than attract heads.

I sometimes wonder where these ideas come from, maybe a good PR guru would be better value for money, Oh! I forgot he has just been imprisoned. :lol:

Before investing in fake and tat, consideration should be made into the general appearance of a place and it's amenities. Sorry to be outspoken but can someone tell me the improvements that have been made to attract Tourists to Luxor?

Got to go, my toe is killing me after tripping up yesterday on one of the many broken paving slabs, I almost peed myself with the pain, but there were no public loo's about so had to hold it in, if I had been a tourist, it would mean a few days in my hotel room soaking my foot in an ice cold bowl of water.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Fri May 02, 2014 6:33 pm

... and if you had of done, what a deluge it would of been. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.