sim cards

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kunis

sim cards

Post by Kunis »

I read a post on here, which I can no longer find, saying that egyptian sim cards will die if not used in 2 months. I visited vodaphone yesterday for verification and for 6le they extended the non use period to 12 months. Well worth the cost if like me you want to keep your number and only visit Egypt twice a year.

kunis

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: sim cards

Post by newcastle »

Kunis wrote:I read a post on here, which I can no longer find, saying that egyptian sim cards will die if not used in 2 months. I visited vodaphone yesterday for verification and for 6le they extended the non use period to 12 months. Well worth the cost if like me you want to keep your number and only visit Egypt twice a year.

kunis
There is (or was) an option to "buy" life of 24 months too but I have encountered occasions where the SIM "died" despite the purchaser having taken up and paid for the extension and Vodaphone were unable to explain....or indeed satisfactorily remedy....the situation. Just saying!

I believe Etisalat also have extension options costing very little.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I've managed to keep my Mobinil mobile phone number for years now whether I manage to visit every 6 months or not. It doesn't seem to cost me any extra either. I just always try to make sure I have some credit on the phone when I leave - although that hasn't always been possible.

Alas, I cannot say the same for the Vodaphone dongle for my laptop. That has to be used and charged up every few months regardless of how much credit you have left on it. In the past I used to leave it with a friend so they could use it and keep it 'in service' but that proved irritating when I got stuck airside at Luxor airport for hours and unable to use the internet. When I returned last Christmas it had been 8 or 9 months since I'd last used the dongle and I was forced to buy a new sim for that. OK, not a huge amount of money in real terms but irritating non the less.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

It sounds like the problem is the monthly tax, which needs to be deducted whether you are using the line or not, and applies to all lines, voice or data, regardless of carrier.

However, at least for my Mobinil 3G card, if I don't top it up for a few months, I can pay the past due taxes when I do.

If I recall correctly, the tax is about 50 piasters a month, automatically deducted from your credit on the 1st, so that probably explains the 6LE for one year.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Glyphdoctor wrote:It sounds like the problem is the monthly tax, which needs to be deducted whether you are using the line or not, and applies to all lines, voice or data, regardless of carrier.

However, at least for my Mobinil 3G card, if I don't top it up for a few months, I can pay the past due taxes when I do.

If I recall correctly, the tax is about 50 piasters a month, automatically deducted from your credit on the 1st, so that probably explains the 6LE for one year.
I don't think tax is the reason for the SIM expiring after 3 months of non-use (if that's what you're saying GD) . It expires even if you've plenty of credit...and you lose it :cry:

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

I've never been a Vodafone customer so perhaps they have a different policy, but I am sure we went more than 3 months without adding any credit or even using our Mobinil data line and it was not cancelled. In fact, we might even have gone several years without using it once.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Glyphdoctor wrote:I've never been a Vodafone customer so perhaps they have a different policy, but I am sure we went more than 3 months without adding any credit or even using our Mobinil data line and it was not cancelled. In fact, we might even have gone several years without using it once.
I can believe it. Cancellation/continuance seems at times quite arbitrary with all the companies and I've never been able to get a satisfactory explanation from any of them.

Luckyme

Post by Luckyme »

I thought the difference lies in a business number that is payed monthly and card number you charge it when the credit is finished.
Also things change quickly, now also the card line is longer valid. There are so many offers and deals, you need to sit and have a good look haha
to check all details :?

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

newcastle wrote: I don't think tax is the reason for the SIM expiring after 3 months of non-use (if that's what you're saying GD) . It expires even if you've plenty of credit...and you lose it :cry:
Yes, that happened to me years ago and I had a large amount of credit on it at the time. I can't remember which company that was with though but an Egyptian friend tried to sort it for me believing the sim could be unlocked and used again by me but came back cross and with a Mobinil sim which hasn't given me any problems in more than 6 years.

All that being said, I am now wondering what will happen on my next visit to Luxor with the new rules about sims being registered to user. i.e when you buy a new sim you have to take your passport etc. I'm not sure when I will be back in Egypt so I am half expecting my sim to have been stopped. I think I read recently that thousands of unregistered sim's had been stopped from use (or did I imagine that?).
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
newcastle wrote: I don't think tax is the reason for the SIM expiring after 3 months of non-use (if that's what you're saying GD) . It expires even if you've plenty of credit...and you lose it :cry:
Yes, that happened to me years ago and I had a large amount of credit on it at the time. I can't remember which company that was with though but an Egyptian friend tried to sort it for me believing the sim could be unlocked and used again by me but came back cross and with a Mobinil sim which hasn't given me any problems in more than 6 years.

All that being said, I am now wondering what will happen on my next visit to Luxor with the new rules about sims being registered to user. i.e when you buy a new sim you have to take your passport etc. I'm not sure when I will be back in Egypt so I am half expecting my sim to have been stopped. I think I read recently that thousands of unregistered sim's had been stopped from use (or did I imagine that?).
No....you didn't imagine it :D Many users have found their phone "out of service" and have had to re-register. Again...the process seems to be 'hit & miss' and quite what the point of it is I fail to see. I can understand the powers-that-be wanting to know who has a particular number on some occasion ...but that may not be the person who registered it!

Wills

Post by Wills »

My first sim with Mobinil was cancelled and I have a vodafone sim now which I have had for a number of years now, I will not be back to Luxor until the end of the year so will wait and see what happens.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I'm looking after two Vodafone phones at the moment for friends that are back and to from the UK. I give myself a miscall every week to keep the cards active and save the credit on them. Last week they blocked one. Customer service says it will remain blocked until my friend goes into the store with his passport to prove he is the registered owner on a number that he has had for a long time. A multi billion pound business with zero customer care interest.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

sue

Post by sue »

I tend to always get the holiday sim that lasts 30 days, however last year we got a normal Sim card and were told It would be able to be active indefinitely, but when I went to put money on it and re-activate it on my return 10 months later I was told it was not possible in Vodaphone shop, so I ended up with a holiday Sim card again.

Kaiserbernese

Post by Kaiserbernese »

As long as I put the SIM card back in the phone very three months and make or receive a call it does work year after year. I don't answer the call, it just shows it's still active.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Kaiserbernese wrote:As long as I put the SIM card back in the phone very three months and make or receive a call it does work year after year. I don't answer the call, it just shows it's still active.
I've tried that with my Mobinil sim but it is totally inactive in the UK so doesn't work.
-Aldous Huxley

Wills

Post by Wills »

Just tried to call my vodafone sim and was told it was no longer in service. :cry: :cry:

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Wills wrote:Just tried to call my vodafone sim and was told it was no longer in service. :cry: :cry:
Maybe it needs to be registered....again :wi

Kim

Post by Kim »

Iv had my egyptian sim for ages and all I do is get my egyptian friends to txt messages to that while im in england its cheaper for them and keeps the sim activated, I txt back on my english sim so dont need to top up credit :)

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

All sounds a bit Draconian to me!!!

Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Bearded Brian »

Arrived on Sunday and I couldn't make any calls on either of my egyptian sims - both last used 2.5 months ago, both with credit and both covered by the 6le annual fee. Strange thing was that I could get internet on 3G (I wasn'tpicking up any free wi-fi)on both phones although I had never paid for internet on one and the other one should have run out in March - it's possible it was using the credit from my çalls'. People rining me were told that the phoes were not in service. Went to Vodaphone - they said it was because I was out of credit - paid for call plus internet 50le - asked them to check the credit - 60le so wasn't out of credit to begin with. Asked them if they needed to re-register it with details from my passport - they said no no there must be something else wrong - 20 minutes later they re-entered my passport details and it worked. Now just have to go back with the second phone.