Egyptair first flight - please help

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Re: Egyptair first flight - please help

Post by HEPZIBAH »

BENNU wrote:
Brian Yare wrote:
BENNU wrote: Check in desks? Haven't used them for a years at Copenhagen Airport.

Unless I fly with Egyptair, I even scan the luggage myself while dropping it at an unmanned belt.
Where do you get the luggage tags from? They are the main reason for a check-in desk, especially with an indirect flight.
The machine spits them out with the boarding passes, but not always when I fly with Egyptair. 8)
The machine I used for my LHR Egyptair flight at Christmas showed this as an option. It didn't work for Egyptair I just got the boarding pass (I'd forgotten my copy that I'd printed off and as I had time to fill thought I'd try it out). I didn't quite understand the luggage tag bit though as there were no scales there.

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

BENNU wrote:You even scan your own boarding pass before security screening at departure, whether it is on paper or mobile phone, and an e-gate opens for you. 8)
We seem to have that facility too now, although I'm not sure if it's all airports and terminals.
-Aldous Huxley

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

HEPZI wrote: I didn't quite understand the luggage tag bit though as there were no scales there.
I am sure that it will be rejected at self drop off if it is too heavy and you will have to pay.

Wills

Post by Wills »

Oh forgot about that, had to use the machines at LHW to check in then went to the check in desk, cab't remember if I got baggage tags.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Wills wrote:Oh forgot about that, had to use the machines at LHW to check in then went to the check in desk, cab't remember if I got baggage tags.
I'm not convinced that the machine at LHR is geared up for baggage tags yet but certainly it was written on the screen. Certainly when I was there everyone was being encouraged to use them for checking in purposes and then joining the baggage drop queue so I guess for anyone not travelling with Hold Baggage it must save a lot of time. (Not that that's likely on Egyptair! ;) )
-Aldous Huxley

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Wills wrote:Oh forgot about that, had to use the machines at LHW to check in then went to the check in desk, cab't remember if I got baggage tags.
RU sure? :br

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airport/a ... rtCode=LHW

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux »

Billy_whiz wrote:I flew to Luxor yesterday from Heathrow Terminal 3 (via Cairo). On arrival at the airport I found I had to check in at a machine in Zone C, not at the usual check in desks. It was simple enough, I just followed the instructions on the screen, put my passport in first, then my details came up and I was able to choose my seats for both flights and my boarding "cards" (pieces of paper) were printed out. I then had to go to the drop off point, showed my passport again and my boarding cards, gave in my bags and was given a receipt for them. And that was that - easy peasy :D
Glad yours worked, we flew Aegean from Heathrow to Crete & the passport reader couldn't! After the helpful lady managed to find one that did work (third one she tried) then only the boarding cards but no luggage tags! We were through booked via Athens but had to go through the whole check in desk scenario there as even the expert in Heathrow could not get it to print the second half of the flight for us. If she hadn't been able to print the baggage tags at her desk I shudder to think where the cases would have ended up! She actually reckoned they had more staff on duty dealing with the recalcitrant machines than they did with the previous manual system :roll:

Can't say I am looking forward to trying again :(

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Billy_whiz wrote: my boarding "cards" (pieces of paper) were printed out. :D
:D And finally, after a couple of years, the staff at Cairo Domestic Departures have accepted that these pieces of paper actually are boarding cards! :lol:

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

FABlux wrote:
Billy_whiz wrote:I flew to Luxor yesterday from Heathrow Terminal 3 (via Cairo). On arrival at the airport I found I had to check in at a machine in Zone C, not at the usual check in desks. It was simple enough, I just followed the instructions on the screen, put my passport in first, then my details came up and I was able to choose my seats for both flights and my boarding "cards" (pieces of paper) were printed out. I then had to go to the drop off point, showed my passport again and my boarding cards, gave in my bags and was given a receipt for them. And that was that - easy peasy :D
Glad yours worked, we flew Aegean from Heathrow to Crete & the passport reader couldn't! After the helpful lady managed to find one that did work (third one she tried) then only the boarding cards but no luggage tags! We were through booked via Athens but had to go through the whole check in desk scenario there as even the expert in Heathrow could not get it to print the second half of the flight for us. If she hadn't been able to print the baggage tags at her desk I shudder to think where the cases would have ended up! She actually reckoned they had more staff on duty dealing with the recalcitrant machines than they did with the previous manual system :roll:

Can't say I am looking forward to trying again :(
I have to admit that I was somewhat relieved when I had to get my baggage tags from the normal baggage check in area. They made a point of asking me if I wanted my bag to do through direct from Heathrow to Luxor (instead of claiming and rechecking in at Cairo presumably) and attached another specific marker tag - International/Domestic.

Like you, I would have worried otherwise (even on the normal check in system).
-Aldous Huxley