Egyptair first flight - please help

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Luxoritis

Egyptair first flight - please help

Post by Luxoritis »

Going end of march, can anyone tell me what the hand luggage measurements are because I cant find them on their website? I know we will be allowed 8kg each. Also any tips travelling with them please pass them on :) Especially anyone who has done Man - Cairo -Luxor. Bit worried about our luggage, connecting flight timings and where to go.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Re: Egyptair first flight - please help

Post by HEPZIBAH »

My last Egyptair flight was from London Heathrow to Luxor via Cairo in December, returning in January so I can't comment on the Manchester bit but can't see that it's going to be any different.
Baggage Allowance for normal Economy class - Information from Egyptair Website:
Hold Baggage: 2 pieces Max weight each 23 kgs / 50 lbs Max Dimensions Per Piece 158 cm / 62 in
Hand Baggage: I piece of Cabin baggage will be permitted, provided it should be limited with these defined maximum dimensions: length 58 cm, width of 45 cm and depth of 25 cm (including wheels, handles). Max weight 8K

Tips:
-There was no objection to my also carrying on board a small travel handbag. (Unlike e.g Easyjet who would have made me put it in my cabin bag.)
- Check In at Manchester - make sure you say you would like your bags checked through to Luxor. They will put an extra tag on your luggage 'Int/Domestic' and you won't need to worry about your luggage until you arrive in Luxor. When you arrive in Luxor you will be taken through to the right area to collect your bags.
-Duty Free at Manchester - Don't buy liquids and I would include perfume in this too. You will more than likely be prohibited from taking them on board your connecting flight at Cairo. They were being very hot on this when I went through in December/January. As you will (hopefully) have checked your main bags through to Luxor you won't be able to pop any liquids bought into your hold baggage.
- Arriving in Cairo - before proceeding to your departure gate make sure you get your Visa. I found I had to walk a little way past the corridor to the immigration area and departure area to the bank kiosk. Also, don't forget you will need to have filled in an Immigration/Arrivals card at the Immigration point. They should give you this on your flight but if not they will be available in arrivals. I found there were plenty of staff around to ask for help if needed.
- Arriving in Luxor - you will have already cleared Immigration in Cairo so you will just need to collect your baggage and be on your way. As you arrive at the Domestic side of the airport they will take you through to the baggage claim hall. Then it's past the Customs guys and off you go - Luxor awaits you.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Luxoritis

Post by Luxoritis »

Thanks Hepzibah, you have helped me a lot. Regarding liquids, does this mean I wont be able to take the perfume and other liquids I have ready for inspection (in clear bag) at Manchester airport onwards to Cairo and Luxor? They are all below the allowed weight.

Wills

Post by Wills »

Yes you can still take them in the clear bag.

Luxoritis

Post by Luxoritis »

Phew, thanks for that Wills

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

The little 'plastic bag' liquids are fine. It's the usual things - bottles of booze and water - in fact anything above the actual 'plastic bag' limit. I bought a Boots Ready Meal at LHR and didn't drink the water that I'd chosen with it - that was confiscated at Cairo. On the way back, although I'd taken it on board at Luxor, one of my small cartons of orange juice was confiscated at Cairo - although they did give me one back and told me to drink it quickly! Not expensive losses but I would have been upset if it had been something stronger that I'd bought at Duty Free! ;-)
-Aldous Huxley

Luxoritis

Post by Luxoritis »

Thanks again Hepzibah, no alcohol then ha ha :)

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Luxoritis wrote:Thanks again Hepzibah, no alcohol then ha ha :)
If you need it you can either pack it in your hold baggage or go to the Duty Free shop in Luxor within 48hrs of arrival - or both!
-Aldous Huxley

Wills

Post by Wills »

Oh and another thing, if you smoke they will take the lighter off you before you board the Luxor flight if they find it.

Luxoritis

Post by Luxoritis »

Thanks again to you both, appreciate the advice

Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Bearded Brian »

You are allowed one lighter - I had two on Sunday so they took one off me. Times between flights, I could have gone for the 90 mins or 5 hours - I went for the 5 hours but could have done it in 90mins without to much rushing. When you leave the plane don't get caught in the line for people leaving the airport - walk past this to domestic departures.

Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Bearded Brian »

Smoking room in arrivals is on the left - you can't miss it - all the egyptians smoking outside of it (the filters weren't working) - in Domestic departures there is a smoking room at the end of Gates F (most if not all Luxor flights leave from Gates F)

Duty free at Luxor was unusual - limit of 600 cigs and written in the passport - usually they say take as many as you like and nothing in the passport.

Because I knew that the luggage would be in international departures I just walked straight through - the man there asked for my baggage ticketes - said OK and 5 mins later my bags arrived - not sure if this was normal or the fact I was the only arrivee there.

Wills

Post by Wills »

Well BB they always take my lighter off me and I only carry one. :x :cry:

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Bearded Brian wrote:Duty free at Luxor was unusual - limit of 600 cigs and written in the passport - usually they say take as many as you like and nothing in the passport.
I've never used the DF at the airport but when I have gone to either the town one (old one behind Emilio) or the Karnak one with friends, my passport has always been marked with how much I have taken.
-Aldous Huxley

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

I have been using the Manchester route since it started and have successfully brought through bottles of alcohol and perfume bought in duty free Manchester without a problem. I explain each time I have a transit flight on to Luxor. They put my purchases in a clear sealed bag with the receipt in clear view. That goes in my hand luggage. Each time, in Cairo they have asked what it is, where I bought it and smiled and waved me on through. Manchester say as long as it stays sealed until I leave Luxor airport it's fine. So far it has been.

After a quick visit home, I am flying back via Manchester on Friday. I will buy a top up and follow the usual routine and report back if anything has changed.
Stand up to be seen
Speak up to be heard
Shut up to be appreciated

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Lucky you Robbo. I did notice a couple of passengers on my journey have their sealed DF bottles seized and confiscated and there were more behind us in the queue but I didn't pay any attention to what happened to theirs.

I had a bit of a fight at Cairo some years back when taking in a bottle of Bacardi. I'm sure if I'd said "yes" to the frequent questions and comments about whisky it would have been taken but they gave up when they realised it was Bacardi. This was before the sealed DF bags days so it is a long time ago now.
-Aldous Huxley

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

I brought the single malt that I am now enjoying :P in the sealed bag from Copenhagen airport and bought a couple of bottles at arrival in Luxor where it is usually very cheap.

The security check between international and domestic in Cairo is not about liquids, you can bring it all the way to the boarding gate. Here I usually take my bottle of water out of my bag and openly hold it in my hand with no problems. I have seen Egyptians being stopped with deodorant spray and opened perfume bottles and after a few seconds of "inspection" been allowed to bring it on board. I am often accused of bringing a lighter, I deny this according to the truth, and they accept it without checking.

This time the man took a bottle of mineral water out of my bag and said three times: "It is not allowed!" It was a sparkling San Pellegrino, too good to waste and it is still with me. :le:

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Different people, different flights, different experiences - That's Life (and travel through Cairo)!

I admit, I have only done this trip once in recent years, but I have shared my experience and observations. Others who use that route far more often have a different experience. The choice on the day is yours.
-Aldous Huxley

Kim

Post by Kim »

when I came through cairo security in September they did stop me for my bottle of water but when they saw the Egyptian man behind me in the queue had 2 bottles of whiskey they were that busy shouting at him I walked off with my water :lol:

Luxoritis

Post by Luxoritis »

Thanks everyone for all the help. Bearded Brian thanks for the tip about going onto Domestic departures. Is it far from where we land? We have 2 hours to get there so I'm thinking it is enough? Saying that on the way back we only have 1 hour...crikey :sd