Views on my visit.

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Lisak

Views on my visit.

Post by Lisak »

I have just returned home after visiting Luxor from the 18th-30th December. It had been 2 1/2 years since I had been. Obviously I had been following news very closely on the political climate and almost, just almost didn't come after the flights to Luxor were cancelled. However, I booked to fly via Hurgada instead. My thinking behind this was that if the troubles esculated, these flights may also be cancelled and we would then get our money back. Luckily the flights went ahead and so I began my 13th visit to Luxor.
I stayed overnight in Hurgada and was soon off the next morning only feeling like I had come home as we entered the Qena governate.
I stayed at the Nefertiti hotel, a lovely family run hotel in the heart of the souk. It was clean, cheap and well positioned, and the rooftop views are wonderful taking in Luxor temple and the Nile, over to the Theban hills and Hatchepsut's temple. The food here also is very good. At the start of our trip we were the only ones staying in the hotel, by the end of the trip they were up to 60% occupancy which was great to see.

First full day we went to Medinet Habu. There were a few tourists there, more than I expected to be honest, but we were the only ones at the Ramasseum which we visited later.
I went to the Winter solstace at Karnak temple. This was a well organised and enjoyable event. Here there must have been at least a thousand people who turned up to celebrate. Once the sun was up, myself and some friends wandered around the outskirts of the temple, only returning to the heart of the temple many hours later. I was shocked with how full of coachloads of tourists were there, hundreds and hundreds. I was told that these were daytrippers from Hurgada, but it was good to see numbers like that there again.

I did lots of wondering around the town in many different areas, either alone or with friends and was pleasantly surprised about the lack of too much hassle, yes there were the normal cries of Caleche, caleche, wanna ride my ferrari, etc etc, but most wished us a Happy Christmas, Happy new year and then left us alone. I was most shocked!

Whilst there I visited Abydos, Denderah, Philae (where I was to leave a friend's ashes as per her dying wish) Tod, El Kab and Silsila and Garagos, as well as many places within Luxor. I was glad to see many friends in the souk surviving (just).

Overall, I had a fabulous visit, was surprised about seeing as many tourists as I did (many were from China (or around that area in the world). NO-ONE, I repeat, NO-ONE, tried to rip us off (ie using the old swapping notes trick, or not giving back enough change etc etc) Although I do think I met with the scarf bloke who does the scam along the road near Macdonalds. He touched my arm, or bag (which was under my arm), whichever he went for was wrong, and he got a severe tongue lashing off me, but that was honestly the only slight negative. Usually nearing the end of my hols I want to kill someone with all the hassle, but I left feeling as calm as I had arrived.

I hope that independant tourists will feel inspired to return to this crazy town..I for one, can't wait to go back! :br

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Daffers

Re: Views on my visit.

Post by Daffers »

Your post was very helpful to me as I have booked a flight to Hurghade in March with the intention of getting to Luxor for 14 days. Can you please let me know how you got there and how much it costs. I went in December and never got to Luxor as I had never been to Hurghada and I loved the hotel I was at so I stayed. Thank

Kaiserbernese

Post by Kaiserbernese »

Thanks for that post Lisak, I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip.

I have just booked my two week trip for the middle of February. Although it's cost me an arm and a leg for the flights, I can't wait to return to Egypt. I'm visiting Luxor, Aswan and Cairo this time, so it's sure to be hectic to say the least!

Lucky for me that I'm bringing two friends with me this time, so I'll have someone to talk to about the events of the day. That's what I've missed in the past when I've travelled alone, so it will be a nice change.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa »

Thanks for the encouraging report.

This guy with the scarf con near MD's has been known about for nearly as long as the tombs have been there.

Why hasn't he got his comeuppance by now?

I half expect to see him mentioned in the brochures!

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Interesting report :up :up

Lisak

Post by Lisak »

Daffers, I booked a car through Petra travel who took us door to door for £35. Hurgada/Luxor.
There is a bus which costs a lot less that maybe other people can comment on.

I have also travelled alone numerous times to Egypt Kaiserbernese, I have no problem with travelling alone, but it is always nice to be able to discuss places and things you have seen, and eating in company is always much nicer.

Happy travels all.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Glad to hear that you had a good visit and nice to meet you, Yildez and I plan to go to Silsila soon following in your footsteps.
I think that is the average price for a car to Hurgada the local bus costs 40le and is quite OK I have been on it.

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

Lisa, I'm glad that you enjoyed your time in Luxor, and I'm really sorry that I didn't get to meet you. I am still not back to my usual self, Shingles leaves you absolutely exhausted!, but slowly getting there. Quick question about Silsila - are there toilets at the entrance?

Hope to meet you in the future! :wi

Lisak

Post by Lisak »

Hi Yildez, sorry I didn't get to meet you either. Hope you are on the road to recovery, just take it easy and I am sure you are in the right place to recouperate.

Yes there are toilets at the entrance, not the best, but at least there are loos. Are you also going to El Kab? (they have toilets there too, albeit full of rat poo!)

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Quote: "(they have toilets there too, albeit full of rat poo!)"

Rat's using the toilet... clever... :cool:

Civilised Rat's.. Wot ? :br
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

Lisak

Post by Lisak »

We said pretty much the same Bullet Magnet!
:o

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Hi Lisak, I'm pleased you had a good time in the old place.

Noticed you called in at Abydos, I wondered have they finished off that new visitors centre yet, plus the government were talking about building two walls, one either side of the enterance to give tourist a 'clearer' view of the temple, thus cutting the village in half.

Some of the best times I've ever enjoyed in Egypt, was at Abydos. Once all the tourists have left for the day, that whole area opened up at night with cafes in the street and both sides of the village came together,................just hope it still the same

Lisak

Post by Lisak »

Nope, no new visitor's center, and the old cafe has gone too.
I love Abydos too, but unfortunately have not had the privilege of being there after dark.
Maybe one day......

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

A Four did you stay overnight at Abydos and if so where?

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Its nat really possible now Carrie, tomorrow i will explain ai little more under this same heading. had a few drinks tonight, :wi , if you know what I mean,....................................................

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I am sorry to say Carrie this was some time ago, when a really good friend lived there. I stayed many times up until the end of the Mubarak era, then suddenly security became very tight, but up until then I was able to wander to places I had only read about, that were often at least a couple of miles from the main complex, out into the desert. I am pleased to say I saw places that only tourists with big $ could see.

The most remarkable thing though was at the main temple, after all the tourists had gone for the day, the guardians would put the lights out, and there in the natural light the colours truly took on a different sort of glow, and although I am not a spiritual person there certainly is something rather strange, but again calming about the inner temple, that is very difficult to explain. Through my many stays in Abydos I was able to gain access to all the 'locks' sections, which are fantastic. All this was possible because a dear old friend lived there, which I am most grateful for. Sad to say, he is no longer there, but was able to supply me with wonderful memories I shall never forget.

I am sorry to say there is no where now where one is able to stay for three or four days, and security ensure those who arrive leave the same day.