The New and Future Nile Cruise.

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:58 pm

DAY 1. U.K - LUXOR.
After arriving in Luxor, you’ll check into the ship.

DAY 2. WEST BANK.
You’ll visit the Nile’s West Bank, where sights like the Valley of the Kings and the Temple of Queen Hatchepsuit line up.

DAY 3. KOM OMBO.
Horus Temple dedicated to the falcon-headed sky god - is first up today. Then it is on to Kom Ombo where you’ll pay a visit to the Sobek Temple.

DAY 4. ASWAN - ELEPHANTINE ISLAND.
Aswan’s best known attraction, the Aswan Dam, is on the agenda. Later, you’ll head to the Philae Temple, before boarding a felucca and sailing to Elephant Island.

DAY 5. ASWAN.
In the morning there’s an optional trip to Abu Simbel, which is the home of a duo of temples guarded by 20 metre tall statues of Pharaoh Rameses ll.

DAY 6. LUXOR - KARNAK - EDFU.
In the morning, you’ll tick off the Luxor and Karnak Temples, before heading on to Edfu.

DAY 7. DENDERAH.
Denderah Temple is first up on the itinerary today.

DAY 8. LUXOR - U.K.
Things come to an end today, and you’ll check out of the ship.

Above I have written out the EXACT details of Thomson’s future cruises in Upper Egypt, and for certain Thomas Cook will copy. It is very easy to detect that there will be no time for any such tourist to independently visit Luxor town, in fact, we can see a clear determination to keep such people away altogether.

You may remember when I wrote As I See It - Greed & Chaos , I made it quite clear that Asswan would be seen as the NEW Luxor. As can be seen in the itinerary above, those who do not wish to go to Abu Simbel can enjoy a free day in Asswan, along with the previous evening. Any one who has been on such a cruise in the past, can clearly see there will be no free time in Luxor. The cruise company Thomson has chosen is the Crown Class boats, of the Travco Company, which I also commented on, in the same article which I wrote on here in March of this year. I have more information about this company to add at a further date.

P.S. - I wonder how much a future balloon ride will cost the average cruise punter, when they have no access to the competitive price.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: The New and Future Nile Cruise.

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:02 pm

How do you get from day 5 to day 6? And how do you get to Luxor and Karnak in the morning and then back to Edfu?

And if you have a few hours to spend free time, Aswan is better actually than Luxor if you are doing a cruise.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:22 pm

Yes, it does look as though someone has their wires crossed. Do you have a url for the Thomson version, or do we have to search ourselves? I can't immediately locate it.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:22 pm

Well I agree with both of you, but this is exactly quoted from their latest brochure (page 21) and available now at all Thomsom Travel shops throughout the U.K.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:47 pm

Thomas Cook won't be copying as they dropped Luxor last April/May along with Cosmos/Monarch.

As a matter of interest how does it differ from the previous Thomson Cruises?

I assume the Cruise boat will arrive back in Luxor on day 6 sounds about the same as its always been to me, but then I never took a Thomson Cruise.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:36 am

Thomson aren't running their own boats anyway. I've done several PNC cruises in the last couple years and there were always Thomson groups on board following their own itinerary but they had to dock in the same place we were docking at the same time so they are to some extent dictated by that. When we got to Aswan they all had to don bright orange life jackets before they let them ride feluccas!

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:18 pm

Bombay wrote:
I am sure most of us can remember all the people walking along the Cornishe years ago, especially on a Saturday evening when many on here attended the lectures. These people were from the boats, who as a rule had at least one and a half day stay in Luxor.

Yes, I understand that most of these boats have now move to the bridge, however Crown Class still have their moorings near the Winter Palace, but we can see clearly that they want to give as little or no time for its punters to walk around Luxor.

In the past, most cruises did NOT travel to Dendara. I see this as a clear signal that all on board will buy from the cruise company only, few will even have the opportunity to even buy water off the boats. By offering tourists an additional site, the cruise company will allow tourists to purchase items where tax is paid in FULL, which as we all know is not the case with most Luxor outlets.

With regards to day 5, day 6, again I see this as a clear attempt to keep tourists on the boat, that is until Travco gets its new moorings just after the Bridge.

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:36 pm

That itinery looks very much like the one I did with Thomson back in 2002. I think the only difference was Edfu on the way up, Kom ombo on the way down, luxor and karnak temples in afternoon. It still gave one evening free in luxor before waking up at dendera on day 7. Of course the last night games and disco kept most on board rather than around luxor before disembarking on day 8 to head home or on to the red sea to relax after a week of temples and tombs.
Stand up to be seen
Speak up to be heard
Shut up to be appreciated

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:39 pm

It's basically the standard PNC itinerary:
http://pnccruises.com/program/luxor-luxor-1st-program

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:55 pm

A-Four wrote:
Bombay wrote:
I am sure most of us can remember all the people walking along the Corniche years ago, especially on a Saturday evening when many on here attended the lectures. These people were from the boats, who as a rule had at least one and a half day stay in Luxor.

Yes, I understand that most of these boats have now move to the bridge, however Crown Class still have their moorings near the Winter Palace, but we can see clearly that they want to give as little or no time for its punters to walk around Luxor.

In the past, most cruises did NOT travel to Dendara. I see this as a clear signal that all on board will buy from the cruise company only, few will even have the opportunity to even buy water off the boats. By offering tourists an additional site, the cruise company will allow tourists to purchase items where tax is paid in FULL, which as we all know is not the case with most Luxor outlets.

With regards to day 5, day 6, again I see this as a clear attempt to keep tourists on the boat, that is until Travco gets its new moorings just after the Bridge.
They were NEVER from Thomson cruises as Thomson Cruises were always sailing over the weekends. According to this new itinerary the guests arrive Wed sail Thursday afternoon and return by Monday as I said seems the same to me.
I remember the corniche used to be packed early evenings but this has changed over the years even during boom period pre revolutions the corniche was much quieter.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:57 pm

Robbo70 wrote:That itinery looks very much like the one I did with Thomson back in 2002. I think the only difference was Edfu on the way up, Kom ombo on the way down, luxor and karnak temples in afternoon. It still gave one evening free in luxor before waking up at dendera on day 7. Of course the last night games and disco kept most on board rather than around luxor before disembarking on day 8 to head home or on to the red sea to relax after a week of temples and tombs.
or their second week in Luxor.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:04 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:It's basically the standard PNC itinerary:
Well, not really Glyph, if you looke carefully at the Thomson itinerary day 2 - day 3, after the WB visit, if they are to get to Kom Ombo for the next day, then they will certainly leave Luxor during lunch on day 2, so they can get through the Essna locks, by dinner, to arrive at Kom Ombo the following morning,..........so no free time in Luxor.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:10 pm

They have Wednesday plus Monday and Tuesday plus Wed morning night in Luxor out near the bridge Thomsons boat moor up near the bridge now for several years.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:13 pm

When I fancied a holiday, I would happily spend a day jumping from cruise boat to cruise boat having a drink and finding out the best deal. 'Now I, always came back on the boat as well, which always threw them...
I've done the Sudan 3 times £30 quid a night, anthers at 20 quid once me and 45 french and 16 Russian tourists and, their Egyptian fluent speaking guides both were absolute alcholics as was the Captain.
It's nice just to sail around, eat food, chilled drinks in a hot Jacuzzi, wave to lots of people, and on the return journey your normally totally on your own, 7 days 5 meals a day nice people, nice views, chilled time £ 300 squid max.. :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:28 pm

Bombay wrote:
A-Four wrote:
Bombay wrote:
I am sure most of us can remember all the people walking along the Corniche years ago, especially on a Saturday evening when many on here attended the lectures. These people were from the boats, who as a rule had at least one and a half day stay in Luxor.

They were NEVER from Thomson cruises as Thomson Cruises were always sailing over the weekends.
I did NOT say that these people who past the lecture hall were from Thomson, actually, most of them that passed by into Luxor were either French or German/Italian, being that French boats were situated across from Luxor Museum, and German/Italian boats were towards Karnack.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:42 pm

A-Four wrote:
I did NOT say that these people who past the lecture hall were from Thomson, actually, most of them that passed by into Luxor were either French or German/Italian, being that French boats were situated across from Luxor Museum, and German/Italian boats were towards Karnack.
You did not say they weren't either this thread is about Thomson. To me nothing seems new apart from going to Dendera on the Thompson boat instead of going on an optional (extra purchase) trip on another boat better deal having it included.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:53 pm

A-Four wrote:
Well, not really Glyph, if you looke carefully at the Thomson itinerary day 2 - day 3, after the WB visit, if they are to get to Kom Ombo for the next day, then they will certainly leave Luxor during lunch on day 2, so they can get through the Essna locks, by dinner, to arrive at Kom Ombo the following morning,..........so no free time in Luxor.
Depends when they arrive on the boat. The Thomson group is always on board by lunchtime on day 1 (I don't know when their flight arrives though), which is served around 12:30 or 1pm, and then they have the afternoon completely free. If they wanted to go into town, they could do so. There is no set entertainment after dinner that night either so they could go into town then if they wanted to too after about 8:30 or 9pm. Transport would have to be arranged of course but it isn't a matter of not having the time to do it.

And one can always book directly with the cruise company in Egypt and ask for any itinerary you want with your own transport and guide even if that is what you want. It's just a floating hotel, beyond that you are free to do as little or as much as you want with it.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:57 pm

Bombay wrote:They have Wednesday plus Monday and Tuesday plus Wed morning night in Luxor out near the bridge Thomsons boat moor up near the bridge now for several years.
The cruise boat of choice by Thomson for the future season will be the Travco Crown Class boats, being the five star Crown Prince, which up until March of this year was moored across from the Winter Palace. I know this as I travelled on this boat at THAT time.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:13 pm

A-Four wrote:
Bombay wrote:They have Wednesday plus Monday and Tuesday plus Wed morning night in Luxor out near the bridge Thomsons boat moor up near the bridge now for several years.
The cruise boat of choice by Thomson for the future season will be the Travco Crown Class boats, being the five star Crown Prince, which up until March of this year was moored across from the Winter Palace. I know this as I travelled on this boat at THAT time.
Good apart from the fumes issue its better for guests and the town.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:16 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:
A-Four wrote:
Depends when they arrive on the boat. The Thomson group is always on board by lunchtime on day 1 (I don't know when their flight arrives though), which is served around 12:30 or 1pm, and then they have the afternoon completely free. If they wanted to go into town, they could do so. There is no set entertainment after dinner that night either so they could go into town then if they wanted to too after about 8:30 or 9pm. Transport would have to be arranged of course but it isn't a matter of not having the time to do it.

And one can always book directly with the cruise company in Egypt and ask for any itinerary you want with your own transport and guide even if that is what you want. It's just a floating hotel, beyond that you are free to do as little or as much as you want with it.
The usual arrival time from the U.K.is around 4 p.m., by the time they get to the boat its around 5 to 5-30 p.m., soon after this dinner is served followed by a 'little lecture' to inform the new arrivals after their 'long hard journey' that they will rise by 6 a.m. the following day to visit the Kings Valley etc, which they have already paid for,.......canny people us Brits, like to get our money's worth, so an early bed for all On return from the WB, the next day, while every one is having lunch, the boat will sail off,...........Travco certainly know howto keep the money on board. - Bottle of water madam, that will be 20LE. thank you.