FCO travel advice - Luxor is now GREEN

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

chiddy

FCO travel advice - Luxor is now GREEN

Post by chiddy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:47 pm

Egypt travel advice has changed today - Luxor is now GREEN

There is no such thing as strangers just friends yet to meet.

Pammie
United Kingdom

Re: FCO travel advice

Post by Pammie » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:14 pm

Thought I was seeing things....but believe it now coming from you Chiddy .... delighted, think it was Bennu's wonderful description of an Egyptian evening that did it. :D

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Re: FCO travel advice - Luxor is now GREEN

Post by Bombay » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:02 pm

Well lets hope at least Egyptair starts the direct flights again :br

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:28 pm

Well, I am sure the UK citizens who are actually literate in English and can understand something besides colors on the map will read the whole travel advice page and still think twice about coming. Because if you read it, it still sounds like crap here.

Chris
Egypt

Post by Chris » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:41 pm

Here is the page for the FCO advice in case you have not seen it:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/egypt

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:57 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:Well, I am sure the UK citizens who are actually literate in English and can understand something besides colors on the map will read the whole travel advice page and still think twice about coming. Because if you read it, it still sounds like crap here.
I am sure they can, so can those that want to come but could not get insurance which they can now.

Nice to see you have a positive attitude towards something for Luxor, or did I misread your post :wi

Pammie
United Kingdom

Post by Pammie » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:11 pm

you are so rude GF ....clever maybe but so unpleasant

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:47 pm

She thought it was the US that had changed and was talking about them. But then they don't have maps for outside of the 50 states. :lol:

Kaiserbernese

Post by Kaiserbernese » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:03 pm

Well, I for one am very pleased to see the change in advice and will be booking as soon as I can get organised. (I'm off on hols in a week so can't do it yet!)

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:28 pm

......and I for another, am also pleased here Kaiserbernes, so therefore a qustion to our Guru on this subject,.....Bombay,......being that EgyptAir will still be paying for their Monday 2 p.m. slot at terminal 3 at Heathrow, (LHR-LXR),how soon can we expect normal usual service ?

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:46 pm

Well, you might be interested to know that a British friend of mine, upon probably seeing one of the many happy people saying the map changed color, contacted me this afternoon and asked, "Did they update this?" Because if you actually read it and don't just look at the colors on the map, it doesn't seem like Luxor has improved at all

As for getting insurance, I would think that would depend on where people plan to spend their time. If they want to visit Cairo too and see the pyramids, the advice and the insurance availability is not going to help there.

But for the last couple years all the expat tourism business owners in Luxor have been proclaiming, "Cairo is very dangerous, Luxor is safe." I wonder how many potential visitors who would like to visit both cities have been turned off by that simply because it makes visiting the pyramids look impossible? And before the last few months, most of Cairo never saw any violence and you could count on it not to see any violence. It is only since July that the location of violence and protests has become completely unpredictable, countrywide. So these portrayals of a city of 25 million as being dangerous when the dangerous area was confined to a 3 block wide radius were ridiculous.

And since when has Luxor been in competition with Cairo for tourists? If you want to compete with someone, why not pick on someone who isn't going to harm tourism to Egypt, like compare your garbage problem to the garbage problem in Madrid right now for example? You could with confidence say the streets of Luxor are cleaner than Madrid's!

Personally, I think the whole country is unstable and when you have a sizable portion of the population who think the government is illegitimate than you have the potential for trouble anywhere because the government could face upheavals at any time. And with your local authorities all appointed from Cairo, that could be a problem for you there in Luxor if things were to go belly up. But that doesn't mean that I think Luxor or Cairo is safer. Both have their specific issues, which is why I think any tourist who decides to come should be accompanied by a guide and/or driver who knows what they are doing.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:04 pm

As this thread is about Luxor I do not see the relevance of your Cairo comments. As the thread is about Luxor and the advice being changed people will be insured to visit Luxor and down to Aswan on a cruise boat or travel to hurghada by road. They won't be covered on the train to Cairo or in Cairo possibly. And as Luxor is not in the list of the places not to visit its an improvement.

But for the last couple years all the expat tourism business owners in Luxor have been proclaiming,"Cairo is very dangerous, Luxor is safe."

Can you show where I said this or is this in the same file as "all the restaurant owners that got out before the latest revolution and are doing well details"?

Both have their specific issues, which is why I think any tourist who decides to come should be accompanied by a guide and/or driver who knows what they are doing.

And they can ensure they eat in the best place not just the one that pay the guide and shop in all the best places not just the ones that pay the guide HA, Better off booking a tent in Tahir Sq

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:09 pm

A-Four wrote:......and I for another, am also pleased here Kaiserbernes, so therefore a qustion to our Guru on this subject,.....Bombay,......being that EgyptAir will still be paying for their Monday 2 p.m. slot at terminal 3 at Heathrow, (LHR-LXR),how soon can we expect normal usual service ?

Well lets hope they resume soon there are several operators here want the seats now the Advice has changed. You only pay for the slots once, you pay landing fees based on the weight of the aircraft only when the plane actually lands.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:12 pm

I am not an ex pat business owner and I can't recall any of them saying that Cairo was unsafe but that Luxor was safe, in fact there has been a dispute amongst ex pats here as to whether Luxor was safe or not.
I welcome the news that the travel restrictions to Luxor have been lifted and I am sure that many potential UK visitors will read the full F.O. information pages and not as you seem to imply Glyph just look at the pretty colours.
As usual though you know best.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:21 pm

That was precisely my point, that the average UK citizen WILL read the page and not look only at the color of the map, not the other way around. It's you who are assuming the worst in thinking that I am implying that most of the population of the UK CAN'T read, when I was trying to stress the point that they CAN.

The irony of it all is your reaction makes me start to doubt my assumptions about high rates of literacy in your country.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:47 pm

I'm of the belief that many people not only do not look at FCO travel warnings but in fact do not know that they actually exist!

I don't think the UK FCO changing it's advice - colour coded or worded - will make a huge amount of difference to average first time tourists for some while. The people it does affect though, in my opinion, are the many who like me are regular visitors to Luxor but have felt unable to visit because of the impact the advice has had on our insurance situation. I know that some people never travel with insurance but I would think they are very small minority, others however would normally be insured but have been prepared to risk travelling without it. Then, like myself, there are the category of people who have been wanting to return but felt unable to because they were not prepared to travel uninsured.

I am sure that, by and large, the first wave of UK tourists will be returnees. People who already know and have some understanding of the situation they are going to and who are also aware of the potential for things to change quickly. They (we) will be people who are familiar with the layout of the town and have personal friends and contacts there who have, and still are, advising us of the situation as they see it on a daily basis. I am sure for the majority it will be a considered decision to visit again, not something done on a whim.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:40 pm

Just before I came on here, I had just read my emails and the latest FCO advice it read the same as always I never even bothered to look at the coloured map, so what's changed other than a visit by one minister to another, come back all is forgiven, it's safe as houses over here....:cool:
Ps: bring gas masks.....
Pss: last night I met an intrepid traveller from a foreign land, he had done his homework he and his family were having a great time as most independent travellers do, but if you think the masses will return, think again for they have moved on and will never return.
If you doubt me, remember when all those maps that were coloured Pink!
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:52 pm

Bombay wrote:
A-Four wrote:......and I for another, am also pleased here Kaiserbernes, so therefore a qustion to our Guru on this subject,.....Bombay,......being that EgyptAir will still be paying for their Monday 2 p.m. slot at terminal 3 at Heathrow, (LHR-LXR),how soon can we expect normal usual service ?

Well lets hope they resume soon there are several operators here want the seats now the Advice has changed. You only pay for the slots once, you pay landing fees based on the weight of the aircraft only when the plane actually lands.
Thanks Bombay. Hopefully, I shall be at EgyptAir's office in Olmypia, West London on Monday and will post here anything that may be good news in the future

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:26 am

Well can hardly expect other airlines to resume flights from the UK if the national airline does not show it has confidence in the market.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:01 am

:mrgreen: could equal :bp: which would give :le: :sd: but could lead to :cry:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.