Hatshepsut’s Temple to VoK?

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

pdmlynek

Hatshepsut’s Temple to VoK?

Post by pdmlynek »

Valley of the Kings lies on the other side of the hill into which Hatshepsut’s Temple is built into. There are a number of paths leading from the Hatshepsut’s Temple to Valley of the Kings across this hill. We are interested in taking such a path. Is there any problem in doing this? Or is a tourist forced to hire a guide to do this?

Thank you!

I am an experienced traveler, but a newbie to the Middle East.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Hatshepsut’s Temple to VoK?

Post by Brian Yare »

I would recommend taking a guide (costs peanuts) and going from Deir el-Medina to either Hatshepsut or VoK. That said, my friends went without a guide in 2010. There is a fairly decent set of steps up behind Medina, and the descent to Hatshepsut is fairly hard work. But personally I have not walked the hills, so you would be well advised to listen to someone else.

Whatever you do, do not start at VoK. You will not be allowed to take a camera, and will have to pay an entrance ticket. At Medina and Bahari the route starts outside the ticketed area.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I may sound a bit pessimistic, but I hope I'm actually being realistic and helpful. I've never walked over these hills but I know many that have - most without a guide - and without incident or interruption. However, given the situation in Egypt at the moment, and even in the Luxor area, if I was going to do this walk in the near future, I would be wanting a guide with me. We've read other accounts of people being stopped in various places of Egypt and the worry that they are spying, so with a bi-lingual official guide with you hopefully it should make for less of a misunderstanding if you were stopped.

I have to say, if I were doing this walk at any time, I would also be making sure that someone knew that is what I was doing and roughly what time I was expected to return.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Lisak

Post by Lisak »

I have done it many times without a guide starting from Deir El Medina to King's Valley or the Western Valley. The King's Valley path is fairly well defined. I have never come across anyone trying to sell anything or causing any hassle up in the hills, but that being said it is a few years since I have been and done the walk. I am hoping to do it again in December, but will take local advise when I arrive and see how the land lies so to speak.
It is a brilliant walk and doing it from Deir El Medina, takes you over the top of Hatchepsut's with a fabulous view of that and Montuhotep's temple.
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor »

The last time I was in the Valley was about 18 months ago, and I could clearly see postcard vendors on the track leading into it from Hatshepsut/Deir el Medina. No doubt there were other salesmen there as well.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan

pdmlynek

Post by pdmlynek »

HEPZIBAH wrote:I may sound a bit pessimistic, but I hope I'm actually being realistic and helpful. I've never walked over these hills but I know many that have - most without a guide - and without incident or interruption. However, given the situation in Egypt at the moment, and even in the Luxor area, if I was going to do this walk in the near future, I would be wanting a guide with me. We've read other accounts of people being stopped in various places of Egypt and the worry that they are spying, so with a bi-lingual official guide with you hopefully it should make for less of a misunderstanding if you were stopped.
Well, I was not really worried about anyone accusing me of being a spy (well, I guess I have another thing now to worry about), but I was worried about it being restricted because (a) it is in an archeologically precious place where tourists could easily damage the ancient sites, and (b) because some local folks thought that it might be a good time to put on a homemade "Antiquities Police" armband and shake tourists down for bakshish.

As far as being stopped by cops, my brilliant plant is to repeat ana miš fahem, and ana ma batkalim arabi and alan wsalan, over and over until they determine that I am retarded and leave me to my fate.

pdmlynek

Post by pdmlynek »

Thank you, Brian, Hepzibah, Lisak, and LinL! I appreciate your help.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy »

pdmlynek wrote:
As far as being stopped by cops, my brilliant plant is to repeat ana miš fahem, and ana ma batkalim arabi and alan wsalan, over and over until they determine that I am retarded and leave me to my fate.

I would speak in broken English "no understand" etc otherwise they will know you are taking the **** if you keep speaking Arabic to them :roll:

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

LivinginLuxor wrote:The last time I was in the Valley was about 18 months ago, and I could clearly see postcard vendors on the track leading into it from Hatshepsut/Deir el Medina. No doubt there were other salesmen there as well.
When I was in Luxor last winter Carrie suggested a walk to the Valley of the Colours, where you can still see some of the pigments that were used for the tomb/temple paintings. It was a longish walk, and after an interesting chat with a local artist near the car park we didn't see another soul. Having reached our goal we found a place to sit,rest, chat, and for Carrie to have a fag! The silence and the total isolation were awe inspiring.

Hah! As we sat we saw what looked like a mountain goat descending at speed - then we realised it was a man. 5 minutes later he was in front of us pulling out postcards from his carrier bag!!! :ni:

chiddy

Post by chiddy »

there are some wonderful things to see on the walk over that I guess very few people have seen

I was fortunate to be in the company of a Danish lady last winter who was doing a masters on Egyptian graffiti and accompanied her a few times and it is amazing what is up there that I had walked past dozens of times

to agree with others though - the best way to walk is from Dier El Madina up the steps and down into the valley
if you want a really long walk the go from the VOK into the Western Valley up to the tomb of Eye
There is no such thing as strangers just friends yet to meet.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Went last year with a friend, we didn't go all the way but visited the Valley of the Colours, absolutely deserted, no one around for miles yet up popped a man with his post cards, offered us a lift back to the main road on his motor bike which he had stashed somewhere, we declined his offer and passed him later having broken down. On our way back we also met an Egyptian artist who was doing the most fantastic water colours. Enjoy the walk, but it is hot there so take plenty of water.

Kaiserbernese

Post by Kaiserbernese »

I walked from Deir el Medina over the top to Deir el Bahri about three years ago. To my amazement, when we along the top we saw a man on a donkey coming towards us. He was selling cans of coke!

It's a great walk and one I would like to do again next year. The views are amazing and it's so quiet and peaceful.