Flight Prices

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Flight Prices

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Are tourists [from the UK] and ex-pats being realistic when it comes to air fares to and from Luxor?

We know now that really the only option open to us is to fly with Egyptair - either direct to Cairo or at least internally. It's very easy to say that they, and the other companies when they were flying the route, charge to much and should bring the fares down to encourage tourism, but is that a selfish attitude and an unrealistic one in today's economic climate?

If we really want to visit somewhere, shouldn't we just accept the fact that it's going to cost £xxx, and either put up or shut up?

Why should it be expected that an airline ought to reduce it's costs - and therefore profits for [hopefully] maintaining and improving the service - when if we had a business we would be looking for profit over loss?

We all love a bargain - but what is the ultimate cost of that?

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Re: Flight Prices

Post by Yildez »

I fly with Egypt Air to Luxor, via Cairo, from Istanbul. In the last 3 years the cost of flights has remained pretty much the same - this year it's £220. In my opinion this is pretty good for a scheduled airline with full service, and an extremely generous baggage allowance. In addition, there is no supplement for flying back from a different airport, Aswan for example.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I have to agree, I have just made arrangements with Egyptair for my future visit. The price has increased by $50, though this has more to do with British Government tax and crazy landing charges at Heathrow.

I also note that a number of hotel price are much less than last year, so :D

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Post by BBLUX »

We have not used Easyjet for several years now. To be honest with all the Easyjet surcharges for bags, pre-allocated seat booking, food, etc I think the alternative of travelling with Egyptair is more cost effective. This is especially true for those of us resident in Egypt as they do not bother to weigh luggage and you get 2 bags each if required.

Also for us, the flight times and using Heathrow make onward journeys far simpler.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

HEPZIBAH wrote:Are tourists [from the UK] and ex-pats being realistic when it comes to air fares to and from Luxor?
No! You have been spoilt for long and I hope that you have enjoyed it without taking it for granted that you could fly all the way to Africa so cheap.

Judging by the amount and quality of minor things like in flight magazine, food and beverages, it is clear to me that Egyptair is struggling too and could use some support from people who love Egypt!

Luxor is still a cheap place to visit. When at the moment you can have a swimming pool, a temple and a restaurant almost to yourself, there is of course no one to share the bill.

Even if this means that regulars can not afford to go as often as they used to do, Egyptair cannot be expected to lower their prices. As much as I would love to save some money on the ticket, I would worry about the future of Egyptair.

My best option used to include a room in Zurich, so I am grateful that Egyptair is over the Danish cartoon crisis so that I can enjoy the luxury of flying directly to Cairo, much cheaper than Swissair.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

HEPZIBAH wrote:Are tourists [from the UK] and ex-pats being realistic when it comes to air fares to and from Luxor?
No! You have been spoilt for long and I hope that you have enjoyed it without taking it for granted that you could fly all the way to Africa so cheap.

Judging by the amount and quality of minor things like in flight magazine, food and beverages, it is clear to me that Egyptair is struggling too and could use some support from people who love Egypt!

Luxor is still a cheap place to visit. When at the moment you can have a swimming pool, a temple and a restaurant almost to yourself, there is of course no one to share the bill.

Even if this means that regulars can not afford to go as often as they used to do, Egyptair cannot be expected to lower their prices. As much as I would love to save some money on the ticket, I would worry about the future of Egyptair.

My best option used to include a room in Zurich, so I am grateful that Egyptair is over the Danish cartoon crisis so that I can enjoy the luxury of flying directly to Cairo, much cheaper than Swissair.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Although I'm not interested in visiting the UK or anywhere else for that matter as everything I want in life is here I do believe that if Egypt is genuinely interested in regaining the foothold it used to enjoy re. tourist numbers then they should encourage them by offering the absolute minimum cost flights from the UK or other departure country's. Even if only for a year or so to give the country a kick start. Also they need to better customer relations by not just changing connection flights at very short notice, or indeed just canceling the flight altogether. This next statement will not be popular with most expats here, but I think that we should not benefit by a cheaper rate of travel, say to the UK for a visit as is mentioned regularly, we support Egyptian tourism, so pay the going rate and let those that could help the country receive the cheaper flight in.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Post by Cyprus100 »

We have no option but to fly with Egyptair from Cyprus to Luxor or Aswan via Cairo from Cyprus as there is no other airline who operates this route. The prices are very reasonable and we're perfectly happy to pay them! :D

On the other hand though, a friend of ours has travelled regularly alone from Manchester to UK either with flight only or as part of a package for more than 19 years.

In the last 2 - 3 years we've been made aware of the huge increase in costs. EasyJet used to offer flights at less than 100 GBP (return) but they've gradually crept up over the years.

However, the biggest increase has been since the amalgamation of Thomson, First Choice, Thomas Cook flights and was one of the reasons why the Monopolies and Merger committees were against this in the first place. Although they may still operate the route there are far less seats available as rather than 3 flights being operated from a couple of UK airports on Wednesdays, there is now only 1 plane with seats available from Gatwick or Manchester etc.

So, not only has flight availability been reduced by up to two thirds - the prices are quite regularly around 400 GBP to 450 GBP per person!

Those, in my view are most certainly NOT realistic prices. Thieving bar stewards they are.... and I used to work for First Choice in my past life :evil:
Michele,
Previously living in Limassol, Cyprus but now back in UK since 2016 :-(
Egypt is now so far away....

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Dusak wrote:they should encourage them by offering the absolute minimum cost flights from the UK or other departure country's. Even if only for a year or so to give the country a kick start.
And after a year when things are back to normal, they would all be willing to pay the regular price and support the country, of course...

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

No problem with the prices of Egypt Air but Easyjet was a Godsend for me because it flew into Gatwick, this made my jouney to Kent so much easier and faster. A direct train connection from Gatwick cut at least four hours off my journey time.
I know the baggage allowance etc is better on Egypt Air and no add ons but please come back Easyjet.

Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Bearded Brian »

My original Oct and Feb flights with easyjet - including luggage, and pre booked seat worked out at just over £400 for the 4 flights, with egyptair the cheapest return flight is £385 but add on an extra £50 to get to and from Heathrow the price is more than double for me - so I'm with Carrie on this one - please bring back easyjet.

Kaiserbernese

Post by Kaiserbernese »

I'm getting a total price of £424 for a MAN-LUX flight, stopping at Cairo for the middle of February. I can get it cheaper though if I just book the MAN-Cairo flight in GB£ and the Cairo-LUX in EG£.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Kaiserbernese wrote:I'm getting a total price of £424 for a MAN-LUX flight, stopping at Cairo for the middle of February. I can get it cheaper though if I just book the MAN-Cairo flight in GB£ and the Cairo-LUX in EG£.
The second option is fine if luggage capacity isn't important to you but if it is then you may have a problem. Technically, you would be allowed 2x23 K on the UK - Cairo but only 1x23K on the internal flight!
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Kaiserbernese

Post by Kaiserbernese »

I know this isn't a flight as such, but I've just had an email from Thomson promoting a 'flash sale' to Egypt!

The offer is seven nights AI to the Red Sea in a 4T hotel on Feb 20th next year for £495.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

To be honest I don't think there is too much difference between any of them when you weigh up the hidden costs. Out of them all I think Egypt Air is one of the best carriers flying to and from Egypt. It would be interesting to know if the national airline gets any relief in taxes at Egyptian Airports.

I have flown with Egypt Air a few time and they have been brilliant.

Its noticeable how much emphasis is put on prices nowadays though, i would personally have thought that if you so much want to visit a place small price differences would not be an issue.

I think my only issue would be the non existence of direct flights to Luxor. But then again like Dusak says, I have no pull to go to the UK, and agree with him that everything you want is here, including medical treatment, after all why would you want to live here and feel the need to go back to the UK for medical treatment? That does not make sense, unless of course it's the difference between paying and free.

The only thing I have difficulty in, and find frustrating is the pace at which legal, and governmental departments work, there are obstacles put in the way all the time, and there is so much red tape, that you could wrap the QE2 and send it around the world for a present. (Just do not use Fed Ex :lol: ) But I am fast learning that this may be more to do with the fact that people working in these departments do not know what they are doing, or are afraid to make decisions.

Angela
Egypt

Post by Angela »

I think we were very lucky having Easyjet in Luxor, and I appreciated having them here for the last two years. I also liked the fact that they few twice a week so that if anything were ever to happen to a relative back home I could get back relatively easily.

Price differences between Easyjet and Egypt are minimal if you are solo traveller or a couple but when you are a family of four, it makes a huge difference. We had paid £450 for a one way ticket back to Luxor with Easyjet, when we rebooked with Egyptair it cost us £950. We usually had to send extra baggage via Egyptair cargo when flying easyjet as they only gave us a measly 20kg, not enough when you have children with all their toys,books etc. Egyptair gave us 46kg each.So when we added all the add on's that we'd payout with Easyjet, the differences were negligible. It was really comfortable flying with Egyptair and we had an enjoyable flight.

When we fly back for the summer, we only ever take one suitcase with us and don't need 46kg each to we will travel to Hurghada and have a night in a hotel before flying back with easyjet.

I don't think that you have to "love" Luxor to want to get a bargain price ticket. My children have dual nationality and they were booked to visit their Grandparents in England for Christmas, this now can't happen as we don't have the spare cash to send them via Egyptair. I also know frequent travellers to Egypt who may now reduce the number of annual trips they make to Luxor.
Most travellers don't need the 46kg that Egyptair give you as hold luggage, albeit it great for those of us that live here. Maybe Egyptair could add a budget ticket to their pricing structure where you only get 20kg luggage and no onboard meals to fill seats and pick up the lost Easyjet passengers who may now decide to travel elsewhere. Anyway, unlikely to ever happen. As I said I think we were very lucky to be able to get such cheap flight tickets previously and I, for one will miss them.

Angela
Egypt

Post by Angela »

I also think its a nonsense to say if you really want to visit somewhere, you'll pay whatever. The majority of people these days have to be conscious of price. If it becomes out of their budget then they will just choose to visit somewhere else on their bucket list.

I expect it would cost us as a family of four around £700-800 to fly back one way Egyptair to London in the summer as opposed to around £400 if we fly back Easyjet via Hurghada. That's a difference of around £300-£400. We could pay for a private taxi to Hurghada, have a few nights in a hotel before flying back with them and still have made a saving of a couple of hundred pounds. That not being a tightwad, that's just getting value for money in my opinion.

But in answer to Hepzi's original question, I think us Brits have definitely been spoilt with such cheap tickets to Luxor. I once got a Luxor return with Easyjet for £130!!!

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

Do you know when Easy Jet is flying again though Angela? I have friends that have had their September, October, January and March flights with Easy Jet cancelled, they are on 2 occasions flying to Hurghada and the other 2 occasions flying via Brussels.

After March there is only a couple of months before the Egyptian Summer starts, will Easy Jet fly for those 2 mnths or will they cut their losses and not fly until September 2014? It does make you wonder.

Angela
Egypt

Post by Angela »

They are definitely not flying between now, and June 2014 and they never flew in the summer anyway. They've been dropped as a destination, and I'm not sure that we will see them in Luxor anytime soon (i.e next few years).

dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby »

For 2 of us to fly Egyptair is around £850, over 7 hours worth of flying. Easyjet to Hurgharda is 1/2 price add the drive to Luxor similar traveling time, in addition we get to visit Hurgharda and see the landscape which I believe travels through some mountains. No brainer really ...... A new adventure :)
It is what it is.