Smart Aviation

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Smart Aviation

Post by Brian Yare » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:53 pm

Has anybody here used this Egyptian airline? I was checking live arrivals and departures from Luxor today and noticed them, so decided to investigate further.

Their flight from New Valley (Kharga) this morning is 'on-time' but has yet to arrive, and the onward flight to Hurghada is 'on-time' but yet to depart. They also apparently fly to Alexandria, Cairo, Sharm el-Sheik, St Katherines and probably other places.

I am trying to find a full timetable, but it is obviously difficult at present.

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Smart Aviation

Post by Bullet Magnet » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:40 pm

Bit of a tricky one this, they have no timetable, and I checked Egyptair as well, as they partly own the company.. :sl:

However, being the Original " Tenacious D " and not giving up, :cg
I discovered that if know roughly when you want to go somewhere, you go to their website and
on the bottom left side of the very slow loading homepage, there is a Booking Section, so just fill in the details there, and you will get back a list
of flights available for that destination for about the next 3 - 4 weeks if the one you want is not available, which it probably will be.. .
Flights are very limited, as their fleet of aircraft is not really a fleet, more a small collection....

Better than Nothing.. :up
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:57 pm

Bullet Magnet wrote:Bit of a tricky one this, they have no timetable, and I checked Egyptair as well, as they partly own the company.. :sl:

I discovered that if know roughly when you want to go somewhere, you go to their website and
on the bottom left side of the very slow loading homepage, there is a Booking Section, so just fill in the details there, and you will get back a list
of flights available for that destination for about the next 3 - 4 weeks if the one you want is not available, which it probably will be.. .
Flights are very limited, as their fleet of aircraft is not really a fleet, more a small collection....

Yes, I have got that far, and investigated their small fleet. Occasionally I even locate a price.

I may set myself a challenge to compile a timetable and price list for them, as the prices I have seen so far are very attrictive (assuming that a foreigner can pay the EGP prices).

I am still hoping to contact someone who has used them - but then nobody here has admitted usung the West Bank coach to Cairo ...

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:02 pm

FYI - I used an independent airline in the Caribbean (LIAT) which seemed to come and go and fly as they wanted as in "schedule? what schedule?" You have to be aware that if they cause you to miss a connection the big airlines do not honour this. Allow LOTS of time to make connections.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:17 pm

I can confirm there is an airport at El Khargha, One night, I once slept overlooking it out there, No planes ? weird, there are also some lovely train stations out there as well, but no trains, but well worth a photo opportunity, for the adventurous, **** loads of empty chilled out hotels in Dahkaala, all with deep mineral jacuzzis and the odd stella, try it it's Egypt and 'far far from the madding crowd.....:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:33 pm

Who2 wrote:I can confirm there is an airport at El Khargha, One night, I once slept overlooking it out there, No planes ? weird, there are also some lovely train stations out there as well, but no trains, but well worth a photo opportunity, for the adventurous, **** loads of empty chilled out hotels in Dahkaala, all with deep mineral jacuzzis and the odd stella, try it it's Egypt and 'far far from the madding crowd.....:cool:
Yes,

I also have been to Kharga and seen the airport. A couple of years ago there was one flight a week to and from Cairo, I think with an oil company. That was it.

The railway between Kharga and the Nile Valley was closed a few years back - they could not keep it free of sand. Recently the tracks in the Nag Hammadi region have been partly lifted by metal thieves. There are also industrial lines that have also closed and been partly dismantled.

But there is also a fairly recent line from Kharga south to about Baris. It looks in good condition, with fairly modern stations. I didn't see anything moving on it though.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:21 am

I flew with Smart from Luxor to Cairo a four weeks ago. The flight was about half full (all Egyptians); it left on time; refreshments were as with Egyptair, except no juices: and the aircrew were charming. The main disadvantage with Smart is that you arrive at the old Terminal 2, so you have to walk to find a taxi, or coach, etc.

Ten days ago I booked a flight with Smart from Hurghada to Luxor. Two days before the flight I was phoned and told that the flight had been cancelled for security reasons, but that they would transfer me on to a flight from Hurghada to Cairo, pay for me to stay overnight in Cairo hotel, then catch a 05.20 Egyptair flight to Luxor. I decided to arrange for a Luxor taxi to come to Hurghada to collect me. I must check that Smart have refunded my Visa account!

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:52 am

I can vouch that they do exist and also that they do make it to Luxor sometimes. I've not flown with them but I have seen their plane on the tarmac at Luxor! It even looked as though it had the ability to take off again too. :)
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:56 pm

Bullet Magnet wrote:Bit of a tricky one this, they have no timetable, and I checked Egyptair as well, as they partly own the company.. :sl:

easyJet started with one boeing 737 Luton to Glasgow they now have a fleet of 191 and 134 destinations but as you say better than nothing and these aircraft are very economical for this type of operation so lets hope it continues and the prices stay low like they are now :up