self catering

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

self catering

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I know quite a lot of people choose to stay in self catering appartments when they visit Luxor. I can see the plus and minus side of this. If you stay short term though e.g 7-10 days in one do you bother with cooking or do you just eat out most of the time?
If you do cook main meals, what sort of things do you cook?

I have done many self catering holidays over the years, but not abroad. I can adapt myself to more or less any kitchen but it's not so easy when you don't have even the basic of store cupboard ingredients to hand and can get quite costly when you have to go and stock up for such a short time.

Please share your experiences of self catering in Luxor.

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: self catering

Post by Dusak »

My daily existence is one of self catering as there aint no other bugger to do it for me! :cry:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby »

This time I found it much easier than with the kids who never stop eating!.

I bring cupa soups for lunch, coffee, huge chunk of cheese and ham. We buy eggs, bread, water, butter, milk, and fruit this suffices for breakfast, lunch and snacks. Ate out most nights although did have the chicken, bread, salad takeaway one night. Cheap and quite nice actually.

This time I have been practicing with the packet sauce mix's (chicken casserole) it's ok and saves buying all the condiments for taste. It also means I can eat! (Andrex toilet paper ) :tk
It will allow us to just buy the basics, hopefully from the market. (New experience coming up).

We also go to McDonalds, it's so much better than here in the UK, air conditioned with UK radio station. KFC was pretty foul though :sk

We buy the sliced bread and keep it in the fridge, the rolls only seem to have a few hours shelf life.
It is what it is.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Dusak wrote:My daily existence is one of self catering as there aint no other bugger to do it for me! :cry:
Yes, but at least you can have a decent store cupboard of basics!

I don't mind shopping for breakfast foods as they tend to be consumed during a holiday. It's all those other things that you just normally reach for - salt, pepper, oil etc and cling film and foil too - that you perhaps don't realise how much you use until they are not there!

My daily existence is also one of self catering :( - which is why I so enjoy my holidays at hotels and don't feel guilty about eating out every day! :)
-Aldous Huxley
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

If I'm staying for 3 weeks or less, I always choose stay in a hotel. However with 2 or 3 months holiday hotels are too expensive, and I'd get very bored with restaurant food every night.

For my recent 8 week stay in an apartment, I brought a few absolute necessities with me - filter coffee, sweetener, some spices, sharp knives, coffee maker, tin opener etc - but found that I could buy everything I wanted in the local supermarkets. In fact I was pleasantly surprised at the range of imported products available - infinitely better than where I live in Turkey ( I live in a small town with few foreigners and the nearest import shop is over an hour away!).

At home I cook everything from scratch, and I found this easy to do in Luxor. The cuts of meat were different, and I have to say of not such good quality, but overall I had no problem. And the joy of eating salted butter!!!!! Only unsalted at home! And Cadburys chocolate. And Feta cheese - totally different from Turkish white cheese, I love it!!!!

Can't wait until I return in December!
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Yildez wrote:
For my recent 8 week stay in an apartment, I brought a few absolute necessities with me - filter coffee, sweetener, some spices, sharp knives, coffee maker, tin opener etc - but found that I could buy everything I wanted in the local supermarkets.
Yes, I can imagine that for a longer stay taking such essentials with you is a good idea. Interesting you added sharp knives and tin opener as they are absolutely essential to me and yet so few self catering places provide decent knives and I've found tin openers are often noticable by their absence too!
-Aldous Huxley
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

I think you would be able to self cater well, the choice of food has got much better over the past 2 years, we can now get both SR Flour and Plain Flour, the choice of meat cuts has improved as well and is far cheaper than blighty. To be honest you could either cook like locals or live like you do in blighty. Its much cheaper to find your own flight and rental property than stay in a hotel.

This SC Holiday has been made more possible by the opening of 2 new supermarkets Ragab and Son and of course KZ. Alot depends on if you want to cook or make meals. If you rent make sure you go through an agency though, because that way you will be assured all the appliances in your apartment work...
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

When I travel for 1 wk or more I have a little kit that I bring which consists ofplug in electric wire heater, plastic plate, bowl, travel mug, spoon and a small good sharp knife. In a small plastic bag I bring little packets of salt, pepper,few spices, teabags and powdered milk. I include a few packets of instant porridge, noodles, dry cranberries, raisins.

I like having the option of not having to jump up and search out a restaurant first day particularly if I have to wait for it to open (time changes affect this too) and/or if I have to go wander out in less than favourable weather. Same with the noodles for supper. I'd never eat just noodles here but they can suffice if after a long day I don't feel like going out.

Depending on where I'm going I definitely head to the markets and buy fresh fruit and veggies as I find I can't ever seem to get enough when I travel.

Most of the kitchens I've found in Egypt haven't really been stocked well by way of supplies and utensils. In Cairo and maybe it was just the high rise flats I had in Maadi and Helwan typically the landlord would volunteer his wife to go asap to the market and shop for and cook anything I needed. I do think this was and did set up the pattern for her to cook and me to pay ;) BUT it worked and I am totally fine with me getting prepared hot cooked (and super delicious too) food for the duration of any holiday.
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Bearded Brian »

I used to take my ceramic knives with me until I read somewhere that these or any knives could not be placed in hold luggage (and of course not in hand luggage) - very rarely 'do' cans so no need for a can opener - take Russian caravan tea bags - drunk black so don't need to worry about milk, flask for said tea - it doesn't stew like most teas, a combined salt and pepper pot, my big mug - for said tea. First day is spent stocking up on eggs, cheese, chicken, pasta, noodles, onions, bread and butter, tomatoes, mayo - normal, garlic, lemon, cooking oil, lipton tea bags (for visitors)- don't know if I would bother if I was only staying for 1 or two weeks But you are right about the lack of store cupboard essentials that you may only use once or twice - in such cases I ask the long term renters/owner for a bit of x, y or z.
Maakari
United Kingdom

Post by Maakari »

Obviously at moment until new abode is ready, i am in a strange kitchen, with only basic equipment. T'other half always says "Why do you need so many cups/saucepans/forks/knifes/jugs/dishes/chopping boards for just one meal??!!!!!!!!" i always say it is how i cook at home, and at the moment i feel a bit estranged without my "own" bits to hand, so have to mix'N'match with what I have!
Got basics in cupboard, as I am backwqards and forwards, but always bring Nice coffee, good tea bags,few spices that I havent seen there...............And beef OXO's for me........and about another tonne of them for friends.
I am hoping to source Cup Cake ingredients because I do like to have supply in for guests for teatimes.Havent really looked yet for those, but will be soon, so that the cake making can start!. ( When I do start, all are welcome to visit and enjoy a cup of rosy lee and a cup cake/caramel shortbread and a chat! Would be nice to meet a few new faces!)

:eat
dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby »

At the moment not planning/necessary to rent my apartment but have started to include things like hair dryer, straighteners, dressing gowns, will provide things like washing up liquid, washing liquid, salt, sugar and many basic items. A cleaner none of the above is actually expensive. I rented before for a few days it was basic!!!, one towel, no bath mat etc...

I will charge more but hopefully it will pay off and the client will have a better experience.
It is what it is.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Take my advise, just provide the basics. I only rented twice when the second flat was finished, never again as the first holiday tenant had taken a like to some of the contents. Word must of got round as to the quality, so the second renter helped themselves. Before you all jump on me, I know that all short/long term renters are not like that, but it just saves upset. If you have got the one over from me, my friend living there that built the apartments has just said goodby to an English twelve month renter, she also said goodby to her toaster, M & S towels, hairdrier and some other items. I do speak of holiday rents, as the tenant I have now, 4.5 years, is an absolute jem of a tenant. So no worry's there.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor »

For a single person coming on holiday, it seems uneconomical to rent as Sue has found over her past couple of holidays. It might be cheaper for holidays of two months or more, where the rent might be reduced. Certainly for families, it has to be cheaper to rent an apartment though.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
Angela
Egypt

Post by Angela »

I don't know what others do be we have apartments we rent out and they are stocked with all the basics on arrival, salt, pepper, foil, cheese, soap, cooking oil,jams, bread, sugar, coffee, teabags, small bag of washing powder, fabric softener, all kitchen utensils, table top grill and tin opener etc etc . We do a shopping service as well so for a small charge so the guest doesn't have to bother getting the shopping of haggling over fruit and veg if they don't want to. Hairdryer,mosquito machines for each bedroom dvd library,aircon book library, towels. Heck! it sounds good, think I might move out of my own home and live there instead ;)
Remus
Egypt

Post by Remus »

It's not always about money, though if 3 friends rent a 3-bedroom good-quality apartment for, say, LE1000 per week it can be quite 'economical'. I think what self-catering guests need most of all is a sense of privacy and security, plus having someone trustworthy who is always on call for any problems. PLUS spotless cleanliness.
I'm often shocked when I hear that flats don't have even the barest necessities, that showers, a/cs, ceiling fans, toilets, water heaters etc don't work properly, that cookers are filthy, that bedding is insufficient, and that landlords are too intrusive - these sometimes from tenants of flats rented through agencies where you'd expect a close inspection of such things.
And yes, nearly all the items mentioned in this thread should be there for the guests on arrival, whether they are long or short stay.
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Bearded Brian »

On Stan's point it would work out cheaper for a single traveller to go to a hotel even if staying a month but I prefer to pay the extra for more room and freedom to do things eg cooking/eating, sleeping etc when I want to.

I agree with Dusak concerning pilfering by previous renters - in the flats I used to stay in the English owner always complained of missing item after Egyptians had stayed, more so than people from other countries so what was provided was of lower quality and cost.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Bloody Hell Remus 1000le a WEEK!!! Sounds like you are renting the first floor of the Winter Palace :lol: :lol:
Remus
Egypt

Post by Remus »

If my maths is correct, with 3 friends renting I think that works out to about 5 pounds sterling each per night. Does that sound exorbitant? (I don't rent)
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Some people are renting flats at 1000le a month Remus..... But not certain if long term lets bring the rent down, it would be worth checking...
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Bearded Brian »

Yes long term rents can drastically reduce the amount you have to pay eg a 1000LE pw week flat can be rented long term for 1250le per month. A lot of owners will offer 4 weeks for the price of 3 - I don't then divide the cost by 4 to work out the weekly cost I always keep one week as a free week that way if I go to Hurgarda, Aswan ect and pay for a hotel I don't think I'm paying twice.