I first went to Luxor because...

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

I first went to Luxor because...

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri May 10, 2013 12:36 pm

I first went to Luxor because ...

I was asked to accompany and elderly friend who wanted to go and needed someone to go with. Egypt had never really been in my travel destination thoughts prior to that. I was a bit wary at first because money was no object for my friend but I was very restricted as to what I could afford. In the event, three other friends joined us, and the organisation of the trip was given to me, which meant I was able to set the holiday costs to within my means, although at the time I still found it a great expense and thought it would be a one off holiday of a lifetime situation! How wrong could I be! I was the only person in our group of five who did not say that they must return to Egypt/Luxor and yet I have returned at least twice a year since!

What about you? How would you complete the sentence 'I first went to Luxor because...'

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

dsaxelby

Re: I first went to Luxor because...

Post by dsaxelby » Fri May 10, 2013 1:43 pm

I first went to Luxor because having taken the family to Sharm and travelled up to Cairo I wanted a mix of what Egypt had to offer. I came with a friend to test it out, and knew I would thoroughly enjoy myself with the family here. (he was a disaster).

I visited Cairo 30 years ago, we drove down to Port Said, jumped ship and travelled up the Suez Canal. The changes to the city, country and the people is so very drastic and yet it's history especially here in Luxor seems to stop it evolving at any great pace.

Dubai next.
It is what it is.

Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Post by Cyprus100 » Fri May 10, 2013 2:40 pm

.... I took my boyfriend for a 5 night city break to Cairo as a 30th birthday surprise and we both fell in love with the mystery of Egypt so needed to see more!

I didn't tell him where we were going but that he had to have certain vaccinations but the Gulf War in '91 meant our visa applications had to be done in person rather than by mail in London so he found out where he was going. We were travelling in the September and I only booked it in July - they said they needed 7 weeks to process. So, that meant we had a night in London and visited the museum to take a look at some of the Egyptian exhibits. If only we had known about getting visas on arrival!

However, it meant he could do some planning of the trip and decide what he wanted to see. We even managed to get a day out in Alexandria by train to see Pompeii's Pillar and the catacombs as well as having lunch on the corniche.

We've been Egypt lovers ever since although never been to Sharm el Sheikh as that doesn't appeal. We did an overnight in Hurghada the very first time we came to Luxor. We based ourselves for 2 weeks at the Egotel Hotel and did Luxor, Cairo and Hurghada travelling on the overnight train to Cairo and minibus to Hurghada. Had a brilliant time with my brother and sister in law and another close friend then joined by 2 other friends on our 2nd week when we headed to Hurghada for some snorkelling off Giftun Island. That was in 1994.
Michele,
Previously living in Limassol, Cyprus but now back in UK since 2016 :-(
Egypt is now so far away....

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Fri May 10, 2013 2:47 pm

Of the plentiful supply of toilet rolls!

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Fri May 10, 2013 4:36 pm

...because I felt positive The Readers Digest would never again track me down again, and it worked. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet » Fri May 10, 2013 9:32 pm

Earthdate June 2006: on the verge of a mental breakdown, saw a cheap holiday to Luxor leaving the next day,
and it all went from bad to worse from there on in really....:cg
Hook Line and Sinker.. :cool:
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sat May 11, 2013 7:00 am

Yes, but look at the main end result. You are now Billy loads of mates. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Barb

Post by Barb » Sat May 11, 2013 9:19 am

I had always had an interest in ancient Egypt so it 1992 my sister and myself decided to do a Nile cruise. As soon as we stepped off the plane it felt like we had 'come home' and it felt like that every time we came back. What a life changing decision it turned out to be!!!! :D

Kaiserbernese

Post by Kaiserbernese » Sat May 11, 2013 11:21 am

.....because I had always been mad on the history since I was very young but never had the chance to visit. When I turned 50 I decided it was then or never, so I came for two weeks and have been hooked ever since. It has completely changed my life and have have gained many new friends both in Luxor and at home, through my love of the place.

PS. My husband thinks I'm nuts!!!

Lisak

Post by Lisak » Sat May 11, 2013 5:58 pm

I loved the history as a child and when a friend of mine was saying she wanted to do a Nile cruise, but her hubby didn't want to do one, I offered to accompany her. In my ignorance I didn't realize that I wouldn't see the pyramids as was really disappointed when told I wouldn't see them on the cruise. "What else is there to see?" I though....lol.

I remember sitting on the flight over, with this bloke behind me saying that this was his 7th visit to Luxor. "Sad git" I thought to myself, "there is so much more to this earth to see, rather than repeat the same place 7 times."
:oops:

I stood agog on my first morning in Luxor, watching the sun come up through Karnak temple and knew I would return.
I am now currently planning my 13th trip. Oh how I have eaten those words I uttered on my first flight out.
I think like everyone, I have a love/hate relationship with the place...but must admit the love part well overrides the hate, but one thing I know is that it certainly has gotten into my blood.
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Sat May 11, 2013 7:29 pm

HEPZIBAH wrote:I first went to Luxor because ...
I was heading for Aswan, the plane was delayed in Cairo, and an unscheduled night was spent at the ETAP. In the morning, before the Aswan flight, I wandered along the Corniche at 6am. I never got as far as Luxor Temple, not knowing where it was. That was in 2000. I came back for a week in May 2006, and can't get enough of the place.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Sat May 11, 2013 9:53 pm

I'd had very rough year,had been recently widowed and left with three young children to bring up.
Big sis had got early retirement from teaching and treated me to two weeks in Pharon to enjoy sunshine and relaxation!
All I required was spending money...her lump sum paid for airfare and hotel.She had been before!
Went by taxi to Karnak from airport...shared cab with English hillbilly!70 years at least!Wearing socks,sandals and sunhat!
I was 40,and as I've said before,jaw almost hit floor when young man (20ish)joined us in cab and hillbilly said he was her husband!!!
Realized then that this was like nowhere else I'd ever been to before!

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Sun May 12, 2013 3:45 am

I first went to Luxor because my original holiday to Eilat in Israel was cancelled due to unrest.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Sun May 12, 2013 3:49 am

Suprising how things have changed, you would not want to drive from Cairo to Sharm anymore!!

Maakari

Post by Maakari » Sun May 12, 2013 2:45 pm

Went on Nile cruise, but I had heard such a lot of things about the way of life there, that I decided to experience more of this country.
I wanted to find my self a young husband (at least 4o years younger than myself, I had just got soooo fed up of having a nice full bank account, and wanted to share it with foresaid prospective husband. I really needed to buy a flat, then sign it away to my foresaid husbands family and be out in the cold. I wanted to walk the streets in unsuitable clothes, drink alcohol and veer all over the road drunk. I could not wait to go to a resturant and moan about service/food/staff.
And toilet roll...........don't start me off on the toilet rolls....OMG.........What is wrong with having to rush out and find an egyptian dock leaf! I wanted to walk down the street and get harrassed by all and sundry, I wanted to be dual charged, and relieved of my money at all turns.........................................

Well I am sorry to say, none of the above has happened to me.
The thing that happened to me, was the old egyptian Magic, that kept me coming back time and time again, until I finally have got to give in to it, and move my life and auld body to the place that calls me.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sun May 12, 2013 3:10 pm

:lol: @ Maakari! ;)
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

pinkmagic
United Kingdom

Post by pinkmagic » Tue May 14, 2013 10:03 am

My mum had a bonus at work and treated us to a family holiday back in July 1996. I had just turned 17 and would have prefered somewhere with a bit more of a reputation for nightlife but I wasn't going to pass up on the opportunity of a holiday abroad (mum had been to Egypt before with her ex husband). Ended up absolutely loving it and meeting my husband! We now return once a year with our children.

Jayway

Post by Jayway » Tue May 14, 2013 10:16 am

I first went to Luxor to check out 2 charities to see where my friends donations were going. Then I found AWOL, and returned twice a year for 3 years to volunteer.