Hot air balloon flights resume in Luxor

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Hot air balloon flights resume in Luxor

Post by DJKeefy » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:55 am

Luxor governor joins tourists on first official hot air balloon flights since accident killed 19 people on 26 February.

Six hot air balloons took to the sky on Sunday morning carrying tourists from England, Australia, Arab countries and Egypt, as well as local governor Ezzat Saad.

The president of the Egyptian Federation of Hot Air Balloon Companies said the Civil Aviation Authority would oversee all balloon flights rather than the Egyptian Airport Authority.

The change was made after workers refused to supervise flights on Wednesday – when they were scheduled to resume – in protest at the four-day detention of Taher Mahmoud Taher, the head of the balloon flight centre in Luxor from which all flights take off.

In March, state news agency MENA quoted Civil Aviation Minister Wael El-Maadawy as saying the company responsible for the accident – SkyTours – would not resume ballooning activities until investigations were concluded.

An exploding gas canister killed people from the UK, France, Belgium, Hungary, Japan, Hong Kong and Egypt on a balloon flight in Luxor on 26 February.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/69747.aspx

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Hot air balloon flights resume in Luxor

Post by A-Four » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:45 pm

Who knows, maybe the start of the good news, for the future new tourist season in Luxor,...........lets all raise a glass to that :wi .

pdmlynek

Post by pdmlynek » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:54 am

Excellent! I am looking forward to possibly taking such a flight.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:47 pm

Please post the pictures ...

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:53 am

I think that it could now turn into a free for all with the operators as they fight for the few tourists here now and probably given the current events, even fewer in the future. But good luck to all the companies involved and their workers. Perhaps if they all came together at a fixed cost and took it in turns to provide the service. At least then all could benefit instead of a couple. Its good to talk.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

pdmlynek

Post by pdmlynek » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:01 pm

Dusak wrote:I think that it could now turn into a free for all with the operators as they fight for the few tourists here now and probably given the current events, even fewer in the future. But good luck to all the companies involved and their workers. Perhaps if they all came together at a fixed cost and took it in turns to provide the service. At least then all could benefit instead of a couple. Its good to talk.
The problem for us is that with extremely low amount of tourists, most of the "reputable" companies that offer these services will shutter their doors until more tourists start to visit again, and the only ones left will be those that may cut corners.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:41 pm

pdmlynek wrote:
Dusak wrote:I think that it could now turn into a free for all with the operators as they fight for the few tourists here now and probably given the current events, even fewer in the future. But good luck to all the companies involved and their workers. Perhaps if they all came together at a fixed cost and took it in turns to provide the service. At least then all could benefit instead of a couple. Its good to talk.
The problem for us is that with extremely low amount of tourists, most of the "reputable" companies that offer these services will shutter their doors until more tourists start to visit again, and the only ones left will be those that may cut corners.
I'm not convinced of that pdmlynek. However, given today's events I wonder if any of the balloons will be flying at all in the coming days/weeks. :-(
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:04 pm

You always have to look on the bright side of life. At least with all the fires burning in Luxor, there won't be a shortage of thermals. My friends only told me two days ago they were coming in September, now they say they aren't. And so it begins.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:15 pm

Dusak wrote:You always have to look on the bright side of life.

I usually do. It would seem though that I may have a multi personality disorder and my more 'realist' person is taking over today. Bit of a change really as Ms Paranoia had a strong grip the other day. Sorry, can't stop - we've got other posts to read too!

:D :( 8) :x :P :evil: :mrgreen: :sk :cry: :mo :oops: :dv
-Aldous Huxley

pdmlynek

Post by pdmlynek » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:30 am

We've never flown in a hot air balloon and are considering giving it a shot in Luxor. I've read the website, and the tripadvisor reviews on some of the operators (Sindbad, Magic Horizon, Viking, Alaska, Dream, and Horus). Question to those who are in the know: is there a difference between them? Is there one that you would recommend more than others, or one that I should stay away from?
I am an experienced traveler, but a newbie to the Middle East.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:53 am

There is only 1 ballon company of repute also the first and the only one with 100% safety record Hod Hod Soliman.....:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

pdmlynek

Post by pdmlynek » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:00 am

Who2 wrote:There is only 1 ballon company of repute also the first and the only one with 100% safety record Hod Hod Soliman.....:cool:
Thanks who2! Yes, I knew about it (it is both in LP and RG), but isn't on TA, and doesn't seem to have a website. Any idea why?

(And no, I am not a tripadvisor groupie, but I'd figure that it ultra-touristy stuff like hot air balloons should be well reviewed on TA.)

Thanks!
I am an experienced traveler, but a newbie to the Middle East.

Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Post by Cyprus100 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:05 am

I've flown with Sindbad on both occasions - 2 years apart. The last time being just 12 months ago.

I've found them to be polite and courteous and constantly telling you to "mind your head, watch your step" all the way from getting on the transfer bus and boat to the balloon and back again. We got a safety talk before climbing aboard and then had to practise our landing position again once in the basket.

The first time we landed, we were told to assume the landing position. However, it really wasn't necessary and we had a very smooth landing avoiding a man and his donkey and cart as well as a farmers field of crops.
The 2nd time we were brought down manually by our ground crew with ropes as the balloon had got caught in a current as it was descending and was being carried towards overhead power lines. It was safer to bring it down where it was rather than wait to see if they could "wing it".
Our Captain opened the flaps to get us down faster and was shouting away at his ground crew to make sure we landed in a good position. So we came down very gently indeed.

I would have no hesitation in flying with Sindbad again (if we ever get back to Luxor that is) but can't compare it to any other company. I would also like to add that I do not work for and have nothing to do with the balloon company... I speak only from my own personal flying experiences.

Hot air balloons over the River Nile - August 2012 (17) by CyprusPictures, on Flickr
Michele,
Previously living in Limassol, Cyprus but now back in UK since 2016 :-(
Egypt is now so far away....

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:26 am

I wasn't aware that the balloons were still in operation. With all the events this year, I wouldn't have thought there were enough passengers to even fill one basket, let alone re-open a company for one family of five! But I could be wrong not being there! :D

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:01 am

Who2 wrote:There is only 1 ballon company of repute also the first and the only one with 100% safety record Hod Hod Soliman.....:cool:
I wont diss the other ballon companies just repeat the above also to add 'if you pay peanuts, you get .......:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:12 pm

pdmlynek wrote:
Thanks who2! Yes, I knew about it (it is both in LP and RG), but isn't on TA, and doesn't seem to have a website. Any idea why?

(And no, I am not a tripadvisor groupie, but I'd figure that it ultra-touristy stuff like hot air balloons should be well reviewed on TA.)

Thanks!
Hod Hod were on TA and consistently had good reviews and were also consistently one of the top attractions and were always way in the lead of the other companies listed. Earlier this year, for a reason probably only known to the button pusher concerned, TA removed Hod Hod's listing - much to the shock and annoyance of many who had taken time and trouble to submit reviews and photos. Do not let the fact that they are no longer listed on TA put you off.

I have flown with Hod Hod a number of times and would happily fly with them again at the earliest possible opportunity.
-Aldous Huxley

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:17 pm

Who2 wrote:There is only 1 ballon company of repute also the first and the only one with 100% safety record Hod Hod Soliman
I suppose two hods are better than one, but unless I were a pile of bricks or mortar I would not choose to travel in one. Especially up an Egyptian apology for a ladder! :lol: :lol: :lol:

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:31 pm

Couldn't agree more, have flown with them many times. You can't put a price on safety :)

This is an old Trip Advisor post

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g2 ... alley.html

This email address should work for you hodhodoffice@yahoo.co.uk

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:22 pm

pdmlynek wrote: but isn't on TA, and doesn't seem to have a website. Any idea why?

I asked that Question on TA several months ago, after it was pulled from their site..
I have since refused to give any more reviews, and I also managed to p1ss off many other Balloon companies in Luxor by posting the same comment on their pages.. :cool:
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Post by Cyprus100 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:44 am

Well I've tried and searched but all I keep finding is news of the most recent balloon crash in Luxor early this year - so, can someone please tell me when it was that Sindbad hot air balloon company had an accident?
Michele,
Previously living in Limassol, Cyprus but now back in UK since 2016 :-(
Egypt is now so far away....