Valley of Kings reopens after police protest

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Valley of Kings reopens after police protest

Post by Dusak » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:32 pm

As we do yours ST, I'm now beginning to cash in on my GlaxoSmithKline Abimol shares. And they're only a few coppers. :up

dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:53 pm

Just to add fuel to the debate my daughter was a police cadet for 2 years, she resigned just before promotion, saying that if this is the calibre of the future police force she wanted no part of it and we should all be afraid :(

She has stayed in the Army cadets preferring their level of discipline and training.

In my own profession supposedly respectable I have only met one other solicitor who conducted himself in a manner befitting the ethos, training and professionalism. (apart from me of course :D , well maybe two) Most of the judges are ok though, on the whole. (sort of). Problem is we are all human with those frailties that normal humans have.
It is what it is.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:57 pm

You've said it Dsaxelby - not all professionals are created equal. They all ascribe and pledge to the Codes of Conduct of their chosen field of work but ??? They're all human with strengths and weaknesses. Some thrive in their chosen profession while others look for all the corners they can cut and take advantage (for personal gain) of anybody, anything and everything they can. Some get all aspects of a training and use this knowledge for the greater good others manage to scrape through and learn nothing.

Optimistically I'd HOPE Zooropa's experience was done by a young professional who didn't even realize it happened. Pessimistically I'd say it was done deliberately and with malice. The unfortunate aspect is that until we've dealt (past tense) with a professional we (the public) don't really know what to expect (often to our own detriment).

annieacorn

Post by annieacorn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:03 pm

Thanks for your warm welcome! I'm fulfilling a life long dream ( and celebrating my 50th birthday ) by visiting Egypt in June. Doing the whole tourist experience with a week on the Nile and then a week at the Sofitel Karnak. I'm sooooo excited,but am getting fed up of people telling me I'm mad to be travelling there at the moment.Are their dire warnings of doom justified or are they just jealous? I suspect the latter myself ;)

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:17 pm

I always have a wonderful time when in Luxor.... :up :up :up

Attitude, attitude, attitude... :cool:
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:37 pm

annieacorn wrote:Thanks for your warm welcome! I'm fulfilling a life long dream ( and celebrating my 50th birthday ) by visiting Egypt in June. Doing the whole tourist experience with a week on the Nile and then a week at the Sofitel Karnak. I'm sooooo excited,but am getting fed up of people telling me I'm mad to be travelling there at the moment.Are their dire warnings of doom justified or are they just jealous? I suspect the latter myself ;)
I think you will find that most people on this site, have a vast knowledge of visiting Luxor, and as you would expect since the troubles of two years ago, both Luxor and the rest of Egypt are finding it a little difficult moving farward. Therefore things at the moment are not quite what it should be.

I seriouslly do not think you are going to have many problams as a new tourist, but Luxor must be regarded as similar to any other tourist town in North Africa, where in the past it was probably the best,........and am sure it will return to its old days, but in the meantime just be careful of your general security, and tell no Egyptian you may meet, that you are staying at the Sofitel,........they will think you are a millionaire, who may want to share your wealth.

Beware of the ex-pats there in June they tend to get a bit grumpy,.........must be the heat,........ :wi .

annieacorn

Post by annieacorn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:39 pm

That's a great tip.Is the Sofitel a nice hotel then? I'm the complete opposite to a millionaire,being a single parent,but my partner is treating me and he found a really good deal.Maybe that's the upside of travelling now.I've heard occupancy rates are low, which is probably why prices are so good. Wealth is relative though isn't it and whilst I struggle sometimes to make ends meet, I can understand why the locals would assume that all tourists are rich. I feel a bit embarrassed that I'll be visiting their country for leisure when they're so poor, but I guess the flipside of that is the money that tourism brings in.

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:46 pm

You'd better get your tongue round 'La, shukran', Annie! :lol: (No, thank you) you will have a wonderful time, don't worry. :up

annieacorn

Post by annieacorn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:27 pm

BM, I totally agree about attitude. I hate people who travel abroad and then expect things to be the same as they are at home.What's that all about?? I want to see the Egyptian history, eat their food and listen to their language, And RS, those two words are already memorised. Bring on June :D

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:47 pm

The Sofitel is a bit further to the North than the other hotels, but the grounds are excellent, probably second only to the Jolli Ville.

You'll probably need a taxi to get you into Luxor central area's every day.

We stayed there last year and did enjoy ourselves, make sure you get a nice room, not one near to where they are building. They will happily exchange rooms. my wife usually looks at about 2 or 3 before finally setting in... :urm:

Just stay alert and use Taxi's at night to travel any distance at night.
I assume you are well bursed with the usual scams, Money changing and the slightly more sinister selling of the head scarf trick..

Always remember to set the price and currency before taking a taxi or calesh, having said that, the Taxi prices are listed in the Sofitel.

Enjoy . . . :up
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:28 pm

Thanks for your warm welcome! I'm fulfilling a life long dream ( and celebrating my 50th birthday ) by visiting Egypt in June. Doing the whole tourist experience with a week on the Nile and then a week at the Sofitel Karnak. I'm sooooo excited,but am getting fed up of people telling me I'm mad to be travelling there at the moment.Are their dire warnings of doom justified or are they just jealous? I suspect the latter myself ;)
I travel out usually every five weeks or so and stay at the Jolie Ville (with various family members). This time staying in Karnak already checked out JJ's, Jana and El Hussain Restaurant if you have time check them out. As to hassle well as females alone it really is not a problem, always found with a man in tow it can get intense we just laugh usually if the females laugh the man usually follows :)

'Guilt is not a natural emotion we bring it on ourselves' I pay what to me is a fair price, I do not haggle to the last penny, recently a child tried to sell me tissues, all I had was a few coins and £1000 Egyptian I gave him the coins he complained so much, |I gave him back the tissues, he still complained :urm: (keeping the coins).

Was trying to look at the crime statistics for my town to compare with Luxor nearest I got was Brighton (your safer in Luxor). Keep your wit's about you as you would in any city in the UK, and you will have a fantastic time :)

No crowd's, amazing history, visit the souk, if it gets to hot go to McDonalds opposite Luxor temple. You will have a life experience in Luxor, that's why I keep coming back :up
It is what it is.

annieacorn

Post by annieacorn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:25 pm

Had to chose between the Sofitel and Jolie Ville, but it sounds like they're of similar quality. BM,what is the headscarf scam? :?

Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Bearded Brian » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:02 pm

I'm not sure if this is the scam referred to but someone in the street will try to sell you a scarf - he'll keep one hand up showing you the scarf whilst the other hand (hidden in the folds of the scarf) dips into you handbag or pocket.

annieacorn

Post by annieacorn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:13 pm

Thanks for the warning. It pays to have your wits about you wherever you are these days. :((

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:20 pm

Bearded Brian wrote:I'm not sure if this is the scam referred to but someone in the street will try to sell you a scarf - he'll keep one hand up showing you the scarf whilst the other hand (hidden in the folds of the scarf) dips into you handbag or pocket.
As I say, a bit like the rest of the North African tourist places, but I hope things will get better, but perhaps not before June.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:40 pm

A-Four wrote:I hope things will get better, but perhaps not before June.
Then our new friend will just have to come back.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:14 pm

BENNU wrote:
A-Four wrote:I hope things will get better, but perhaps not before June.
Then our new friend will just have to come back.

.......but Bennu, if they love Luxor and the WB, like you and I do, so much,.......then we shall have no fear, they shall trully return, to gain an insight, that few have,..........

dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:18 pm

I think the resident's of Luxor are abit displaced as to what is happening or happened in the good old UK, in terms of violence, scams, and living conditions. They see a town changing perhaps from a village to a town. Mourning a life style that has now moved on.

I have heard nothing that is not common place here in the UK. I have listened and taken advice from those with experience and done the best I can to protect myself ( :up ) and my family. The advice is sound, and nothing less than I would advise someone moving here, but it's about the person and what they are seeking from life, ( tried Paris, lasted 8 weeks lol....) What's good for one may not be another's cup of tea, I think Luxor is worth my time (pitfalls and all).

OOOh when did I become a member (feel old now)...
It is what it is.

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:08 am

On the subject of the Sofitel, Karnak, don't they have a free shuttle bus/boat that runs every so often - or have they stopped it due to viability?

annieacorn

Post by annieacorn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:00 pm

Free water taxi RS,which drops off at The Winter Palace,their sister hotel I believe,and where a good old fashioned afternoon tea can be had.Anyone tried it?