Valley of Kings reopens after police protest

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Valley of Kings reopens after police protest

Post by DJKeefy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:35 am

The famous Valley of the Kings tourist attraction in Luxor reopened Tuesday after a police protest prevented visitors from entering, according to State Television’s website.

Brigadier General Hosni Hussein, a member of the Upper Egypt tourism police force, said police had blocked the valley’s entrance after a street vendor assaulted a colleague nearby.

The incident started when a tourist policeman tried to persuade a vendor not to harass tourists. The argument turned into a brawl, with the policeman being injured and taken to Luxor International Hospital.

Hussein arrived on the scene and was able to convince the protesting policemen to leave.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Valley of Kings reopens after police protest

Post by Dusak » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:10 am

....as when he arrived and uttered those immortal words to his own men, words that had been imported from Cairo and had stood the test of time, ''aim, get ready.. they were only to pleased to comply. :up

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:37 pm

That is why the Police need to come back in force and back with determination, without a strong Police Force the City will and is suffering. Lets hope this is a lesson and prompts Brigadier General Hosni Hussain to take action and bring the Police back with proper and correct action.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:44 pm

It really does add to the farce that appears to be the current police control over there (or lack of it) that the man in charge is titled

"Brigadier General ".

You could not make it up!

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:16 pm

Must admit I have never heard of the Police Protesting in my life before, but that is mainly due to the fact they are not allowed to in Europe.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:47 pm

At Margaret Thatcher's funeral last Wednesday most of the police protested - they turned there backs to the funeral procession.

Is it a crime to "impersonate a protestor"?

(Or were the few protestors "impersonating a police officer" by turning their backs?)

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:06 pm

I think the protesters were impersonating a bunch of sad, intolerant **ses.

And making a good job of it as well!

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:28 pm

Elaborate please Z!
Who you knocking here...police?
For your info,my son is serving police officer in Scottish (new National Force)and I will not hear one derogatory word against ANY Police Officer!
He has young family to provide for!
28 years old and he wears stab vest to go to work every day!Do you?
Now tell me...who's the sad intolerant one?
A guy who goes to work every day and is seen by others as "sad and intolerant?"All because you ain't got the tolerance yourself to look on them as human beings,someone's son,someone's dad!
Step into their shoes and do their job for a day...cos they put their "balls"on the line to protect the likes of you and me!
And believe me...there are plenty thugs out there who won't hesitate to "have a go"at a Policeman merely because of the kudos they may gain in doing so!
Think again...cos you ain't got a clue!

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:39 am

The clue to who im referring to is in the fourth word of my post, it was aimed at the protesters whom I consider to be sad and intolerant of relatives and friends of a person who had died.

Not the police.

I think the only person here who has no clue is you. I can only assume from your opening line that you were not sure of who my comment was aimed at, so don't you think it would have been an idea to ask first before you started shooting your mouth off?

However, since you brought the police into It will offer a comment.

I have nothing whatsoever against the police, and this is despite the fact I was an almost devout football fan during the eighties travelling home and away to support the mighty Leicester City. I did so under an almost intolerable infringement of my legal and human rights by a great number of the police force.

I am the owner of a two inch scar on the top of my head where a horses bridal smashed down onto my head causing concussion, 12 stitches and the beginning of a ten to fifteen year problem of acute head pains

Why did I receive this injury?

For the very serious criminal act of stopping and bending down to pick up my wallet which I had dropped as I was getting it out of my pocket, que a policeman on horseback bounding towards me screaming "move your arse now!"

As I was dazed I had to rely on the testimony of my friends as to what happened next, the policeman rode off and it was left to my friends and a couple of stewards to take me to the first aid centre and then to the a&e.

That kind of thing was par for the course in the eighties, it didnt matter that I was (still am) a law abiding citizen with no police record whatsoever, you were football scum and the only possible reason for going to a football match was to cause a riot.

So I missed the game and spent the next decade and a half in considerable pain a lot of the time, I didn't complain of course, a football fan versus a policeman?

I don't think so.

Now if it was today, I dare say I would be on the front of the sun and the policeman involved would be sacked and I would have a bulging pocket full of compo.

Oh for being a fan in the wrong decade!

I have nothing but respect for the boys in blue even if when my house is robbed they show about as much interest in doing what I pay my taxes for them to do as a panda does towards his partner at bedtime.

In fact my eldest son is about to apply to become a policeman and im rightly proud of him, im sure he wont complain or make a point of saying (or have anyone else say) that he has to wear a stab proof vest to go to work, it kind of comes with the job, so it would be silly, a bit like a milkman complaining that he has to deliver milk!

You say you wont hear a word said against a single policeman,

what, not even the bent ones?

I read your comments on the magnificent Margaret Thatcher so I assume you must be in conflict with yourself, your support of the miners is, of course your right, but what about the widespread accusations of police brutality that they were alleged to have suffered?

Would you hear a word said against those policemen?

"Now tell me whos the sad and intolerant one?"

I think il leave that for other people to decide.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:33 am

Police brutality?A fallacy!
If you ain't breaking the law,then they ain't interested in you!
And for every bent copper,there's 100 straight ones.So who the hell appreciates that? No-one...cos everyone too interested in bleating and whinging about what happened to them when they were on wrong side of law,for whatever reason!
Football thugs?You're guilty by association!You fly with the crows and get shot with them!That's life!
Your house is robbed,you suffer misdemeanour.Who you gonna call?Ghostbusters?
Nope...Police..and you'll expect them to act!
Bugger didn't hit you hard enough!Cos I'd rather my boy was a living coward than a dead hero!

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:51 am

I gotta say that to make a good Policeman, Nurse, Doctor, EMT, Teacher or whatever Professional you want to name it takes time, training, mentoring, instruction etc along with brains and ability on the part of the professional to appropriately use, assimilate and demonstrate everything they are taught and instructed in once they're on the job. It goes without saying that some professionals are better than others. All are not created equal and most, if not all professionals are always on a learning curve. The good ones continue to improve and hone their skills. The mediocre ones just 'do the job' and the bad ones do harm. They come in all professions and even totally wonderful professionals sometimes make mistakes. Human nature and even police are human.

I think what Z experienced was extremely unfortunate but he showed a tolerance for the incident that is not shown today. Really unfortunate he has experienced long term repercussions from this.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:56 am

I had a few police friends in the UK, they were a good group, always visited me in the cells if it was a Friday night, which was considerate of them as we all know how busy a Friday night is on the streets in the UK. Should imagine its even busier in Bonny S. I used to ask them while being interviewed as to why they became coppers. They always started the statement off with a sigh for some reason, as if they got fed up with the repetition of it all. Anyway, the answer was always the same, security of the job, decent pay, good pension and an early retirement. Plus there were unwritten benefits, like the miss use of the warrant card to gain certain advantages in life. Being a copper, you can be a law unto yourself, as you are the law. Plus they have very nice policeman's balls. They can pepper spry you in the mush, giving the very plausible reason at the hearing that the bee on the end of your nose looked shifty as it was wearing a little stripy vest like a comic book burglar used to have on, so it had been a crime prevention exercise. They can avoid parking restrictions most of the time, doesn't matter if they've forgotten to stick the flashy blue lights on, or magnetic side stripes. A coppers lot is not a happy one, especially when some git is in the bushes with a mobile phone secretly recording their daily toils and nighttime activities. And if say, you have a member of the family in the force and they come across you rolling in the gutter attempting to sing ''show me the way to go home'', they will by supplying a free taxi, issuing comforting words in your ear, ''come on mum, let's get you home.'' Friends with benefits. Such is life.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:46 am

Scottish, your post is so pathetically stupid and devoid of any valid or sensible point and, as far as im concerned very offensive that I wont even comment.

"He didn't hit me hard enough"

Grow up.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:49 am

And yes, I think next time I will call Ghostbusters, they probably would be more effective and interested.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:42 pm

Dusak wrote:I had a few police friends in the UK, they were a good group, always visited me in the cells if it was a Friday night, which was considerate of them as we all know how busy a Friday night is on the streets in the UK. Should imagine its even busier in Bonny S. I used to ask them while being interviewed as to why they became coppers. They always started the statement off with a sigh for some reason, as if they got fed up with the repetition of it all. Anyway, the answer was always the same, security of the job, decent pay, good pension and an early retirement. Plus there were unwritten benefits, like the miss use of the warrant card to gain certain advantages in life. Being a copper, you can be a law unto yourself, as you are the law. Plus they have very nice policeman's balls. They can pepper spry you in the mush, giving the very plausible reason at the hearing that the bee on the end of your nose looked shifty as it was wearing a little stripy vest like a comic book burglar used to have on, so it had been a crime prevention exercise. They can avoid parking restrictions most of the time, doesn't matter if they've forgotten to stick the flashy blue lights on, or magnetic side stripes. A coppers lot is not a happy one, especially when some git is in the bushes with a mobile phone secretly recording their daily toils and nighttime activities. And if say, you have a member of the family in the force and they come across you rolling in the gutter attempting to sing ''show me the way to go home'', they will by supplying a free taxi, issuing comforting words in your ear, ''come on mum, let's get you home.'' Friends with benefits. Such is life.
If it's such a "cushy"number Dusak...then why did you never become one?
Was training too tough?Medical exemption?Colour blind?
Don't knock anything that you ain't tried yourself!
Dunno what policing is like in England...but my boy was away training for 4 months at Tuliallan(police college)while his girlfriend was sat at home looking after 2 kids!
If you didn't break the law...then you wouldn't have ended up in cell!
Face facts!
And what they gotta do?Tread softly and put their lives at risk?
Two female PCs were ambushed and killed a few months ago in England.Their stab vests and tasers were no match for the thug with the gun and grenade!
But that idiot is just a poor,unfortunate,misunderstood individual,ain't he?
He's had a hard life...so he's justified in killing 2 women who earn their keep by doing a job they're paid for?
Nah...there's something far wrong with society when that's the mentality!

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:43 pm

Nobody forced him to be a policeman.

Get over yourself....yawn!

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:43 pm

I couldn't really be 'ass'd to read all the above posts the title of this thread reads, Re: Valley of Kings reopens after police protest..
'As far as Iv'e ever been involved it's never ever been closed but then I've never walked where the public walk, 'try taking a walk on the wild side, for once in your life, you pavement pedestrians, 'just get out of my way 'I'm coming through...........:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

annieacorn

Post by annieacorn » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:33 pm

Oh my,I've just joined this forum as I'm visiting Luxor in June and am looking for tips re dress,tips and behaviour etc.Wasn't expecting to be reading a lively debate on UK police. :urm:

Lisak

Post by Lisak » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:18 pm

annieacorn wrote:Oh my,I've just joined this forum as I'm visiting Luxor in June and am looking for tips re dress,tips and behaviour etc.Wasn't expecting to be reading a lively debate on UK police. :urm:

Hi Annieacorn and welcome to the forum. You will have to excuse the behaviour of some of the posters on here. Quite often topics go wayyyy off subject and become personal. Please do not be put off. Most of us on here are welcoming and will answer any questions you may have, so fire away (but be aware that about 5 posts in we might be talking about something completely different to your original post)
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:19 pm

annieacorn wrote:Oh my,I've just joined this forum as I'm visiting Luxor in June and am looking for tips re dress,tips and behaviour etc.Wasn't expecting to be reading a lively debate on UK police. :urm:
Everything and anything gets discussed here annieacorn!
Posts go off at a tangent constantly and it makes for lively debate.
Welcome...and hope you'll join in the discussions.
Looking forward to reading your posts.