Balloon crash in Luxor

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Balloon crash in Luxor

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:57 am

This is how British Newspapers are reporting it

Egyptian hot air balloon crash was company's second in 18 months
Another balloon belonging to Sky Cruises – preferred carrier for Thomas Cook for several years – crashed into Nile in 2011

•The Guardian, Wednesday 27 February 2013 13.21 GMT

The hot air balloon crash that killed 19 tourists, including two Britons and a UK resident in Luxor, Egypt, was the second crash involving the company Sky Cruises in the space of 18 months.
Another balloon belonging to Sky Cruises – which has been the preferred carrier for the travel agent Thomas Cook for several years –crashed into the Nile in October 2011 (video). No one was killed, but the balloon hit a boat and was left floating on the river with passengers reporting bruising.
It is understood that while the pilot involved in the 2011 crash no longer works for Sky Cruises, the company remained the preferred carrier for Blue Sky travel agents, and by extension Thomas Cook, whom they represent in Egypt.
Representatives of Thomas Cook in Egypt referred press inquiries to the head office in London. But the Luxor manager of Blue Sky denied it should have changed carriers after the 2011 incident.
"Sky Cruises are the highest one on the market," insisted Kamal el-Kordy, Blue Sky's Upper Egypt area manager.
"We [were] worried, of course. But we have to follow the rules. They [Sky Cruises] have all the documents from all the civil aviation control. What can we do? We are not engineers and they have all the paperwork according to the law."
He added: "All of the excursion companies we use satisfy the health and safety demands of all the major British travel companies. We work according to the laws in their countries."
Tuesday's crash in Luxor (video) raised questions about safety standards, and all flights have been suspended pending an investigation. There are fears for the future of Egypt's ballooning industry, despite its popularity with tourists.
The Britons Yvonne Rennie, 48, Joe Bampton, 40, and Bampton's Hungarian-born partner, Suzanna Gyetvai, 34, died in the tragedy. It appears to have been the worst accident of its kind in history.
Rennie's husband, Michael, 49, was being treated on Tuesday night at Luxor international hospital, where a spokeswoman said he was in a stable condition. He and the pilot, named locally as Momin Mourad Ali, were the only survivors. They, along with seven other passengers, including the other three British-based tourists, are believed to have jumped out of the balloon to escape the flames. Ali suffered 70% burns and was also being treated in hospital in Luxor.
The other tourists – nine from Hong Kong, four Japanese, two French and a Belgian – all died in the explosion.
Bampton and Gyetvai were from Clapham, south London, and both worked for Lots Road Auctions in Chelsea, west London. Bampton was an expert valuer in rugs, carpets and antiques, and Gyetvai was a general valuer. Both were also artists, Gyetvai creating works in a variety of media under her professional name, Zsi Chimera.
The Rennies, from Perth, Scotland, were described as "very nice people" who only spent the weekends together owing to work commitments and so were looking forward to going on holiday together. Yvonne Rennie was a medical receptionist, and her husband works in the construction industry.
Representatives of Sky Cruises declined to speculate on the causes for the crash. "The [investigation] committee is the one that's going to decide on what happened. They have taken the witness statements, and they will decide. The fate is with God," said Captain Hany Salah, Sky Cruises' operations manager
But the company's general manager said it was painful to watch footage of the crash obtained yesterday by the Guardian.
Khalid Khatifah said: "It was painful. I can't describe my feelings. The spirit comes out of my body at this sight."
According to an investigator with the state prosecutor's office, initial indications are that the balloon was in the process of landing, after 7am, when a cable got caught around a helium tube and a fire broke out.
The balloon then ascended rapidly, the fire detonated a gas canister and the balloon plunged about 300 metres (1,000ft) to the ground, crashing in a sugar cane field outside al-Dhabaa village, west of Luxor.
Local balloon operators fear the suspension of flights may lead to more permanent measures, crippling an industry on which locals say around 1,000 residents depend for their livelihoods. "We're worried about our business," said Alaa Mahmoud, sales manager for Magic Horizon, a balloon line once used by Melvyn Bragg, whose photograph is framed in Mahmoud's office. "We follow the rules and regulations, but over 1,000 people will starve if the balloon business in Egypt is stopped. If they stop the balloons, what are they going to do?"
After two years of political unrest, tourism in Egypt is already floundering, down 22% since 2010, with revenue down by a quarter.
According to documentation seen by the Guardian, the balloon concerned was first licensed in 2008. It was last safety-checked by the civil aviation administration last October, and was not due for further checks until October 2013.
Sky Cruises said the balloon was one of four in its fleet. The balloon would have made 12-15 flights a month, each lasting around 35-45 minutes. If true, this means the balloon would have been airborne for between 420-675 hours in its lifetime. Khatifah said balloons had a useful life of 1,500 hours.
The head of the civil aviation administration, Mohammed Sherif, said at the scene of the crash that the pilot had renewed his licence in January, which meant he would have been tested and the balloon checked.
But an aviation official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said initial results of the investigation showed the pilot jumped out when the fire began, instead of shutting off valves that would have prevented the gas canister from exploding.
Mohammed Osman, head of the Luxor chamber of tourism, blamed civil aviation authorities, who are in charge of licensing and inspecting balloons, and whom he accused of negligence.
"I don't want to blame the revolution for everything, but the laxness started with the revolution," he said. "These people are not doing their job. They are not checking the balloons and they just issue the licences without inspection." Balloon trips in Luxor over the Valley of the Kings are popular with visitors but concerns have been raised about their safety after recent crashes.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:45 am

Chocolate Eclair wrote:MD, you will know this better than anyone, is there a cut out valve that stops the gas flow when a leak occurs, in a similar set up the space heaters do in Europe. Its a very small and easy piece of equipment but a very vital one, and works on flow of the gas.

They are lit but if a leak or accidental damage occurs to the gas feed line, it is detected by a flow switch and then the cut off comes into play, making the gas supply inactive and the appliance safe.

It seems as though the balloon burner and supply system does not have this feature reading between the reports of a gas lead becoming fractured, severed or just leaking.

It may be that it was nothing like what the news is reporting and hopefully it is a tragic accident that could have happened to anyone, but it seems as though all reports are centering on a gas leak followed by an explosion, which leads to the question of the gas cut out valve.

My hope is that following this, the investigators get to the bottom of things, tell the world the problem, and lets get the problem if there was one resolved and get these majestic attractions back flying again, i loved talking to the passengers from my villa roof as they gently and slowly came into land on the Nile flood plains on the West Bank.
In answer to your question CE, the balloon in question was manufactured by Ultra Magic. This company is based in Spain, I suggest that you look at their website where I think you may find the technical information that you seek.

Their system is different from Cameron Balloons Ltd whose main factory is in Bristol UK.

Hod-Hod Soliman has had the opportunity to purchase Ultra Magic products - which do not have the same systems as Cameron Balloons but chose to use exclusively Cameron for the last 20 years.

I am not denigrating Ultra Magic, nor am I saying that we use Cameron because of the principle that more expensive must be better. It suits us and has shown it's reliability around the world.

I am interested in the mass of reports saying that the gas hose was severed. Certainly on Cameron balloons the hoses are very heavy metal re-inforced construction similar to hydraulic hoses used on heavy machinery. I wonder just how easy it would be to penetrate it?

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:52 am

Isis*dancer wrote:
Mad Dilys wrote:
Isis*dancer wrote:A tragic accident and so, so sad for the victims and their families. The balloon industry may not ever be the same in Luxor - just another blow for tourism. Apparently the balloon company was a fairly new one in the market and the pilot who has survived so far in hospital with severe burns, is a friend of my partner. It then becomes all too close to home.

My deepest sympathy and thoughts to all involved.
Actually this company previously operated for several years as Balloons Over Egypt in partnership with Virgin Balloons - Virgin left in about 1996 I think. The Egyptian partner continued for a few years then for reasons best known to themselves they changed the company name to something like Egyptian Hot Air Balloon and Airship Company, but put the legend Sky Cruise on all their marketing. I would say they have been around with this logo for 10 years or more.

My thoughts are constantly returning to those involved in the present tragedy. God give them peace.
My information is from an Egyptian involved in tourism but I think that the history of companies in Egypt does get a bit murky at times with changes in ownership and management.
Then I think your informant knows more than me! It has always been time consuming and tedious to start a new company, but quite straightforward. The origins of all the companies are well known to everyone in the industry I think.

Barb

Post by Barb » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:38 am

I have just received a call from my friend Nagwa to say that there is going to be a MEMORIAL SERVICE at the crash site, organised by the Luxor Governorate TOMORROW (1st March). Anyone in Luxor who wishes to attend this please meet at the IBEROTEL (Novotel) HOTEL at 3.30 pm where a bus will be waiting to transport us over to the West Bank. The bus will be leaving at 4.00 SHARP so please DO NOT be late or you will miss it. Thank you.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:45 pm

Below is what ABC is saying, it seems as though the whole world are getting into how Luxor is now barren. Its such a shame, but in some respects the reporting is correct, especially when they report, that no one seems interested. The whole Country needs to get a grip on things and instead of sitting back and hoping things will happen, they must take steps to make them happen. Let hope when they repatriate the poor souls they do not have the same fiasco as they did in the Hatchepsutes Attack.

I am only pasting these stories so that forum members can see how the rest of the world are reporting incidents and how these things will effect Luxors immediate future regarding tourism. You notice that this report goes further than the tradgic balloon accident, and mentions hotel percentages, when someone says they do not care if a Hotel closes then how much interest is there in the first place? but it could also mean that Hotel chains may be looking at occupancy and considering if they are worth keeping open, speculation I know but always a possibility. When a local person comments that its like having no government, what will tourists think of that statement?

Its interesting to know the economy has shrunk 66% since the Revolution though.

LUXOR, Egypt -- The fiery crash of a sightseeing balloon that killed 19 tourists has cast a further pall over this city of ancient temples and tombs, already perhaps the hardest hit by Egypt's two-year drop in tourism, which has left hotels here empty and residents desperate for income.
Some connected to the tourist trade in Luxor, a city utterly dependent on foreign visitors to survive, were seething with anger Wednesday at the country's Islamist president for his silence over the crash.

Mohammed Morsi has yet to publicly speak about the tragedy -- and some here took that not just as insensitivity to the victims' families but as indifference to the vital tourism trade.

"Morsi should have taken a plane and come here," Salah Zaky, one of the owners of the five-star Steigenberger Hotel in Luxor , 510 kilometers (320 miles) south of Cairo . "The whole world is watching and he is asleep. It's as if there is no government."

Morsi spoke by telephone to Luxor's governor to discuss the balloon disaster, according to state media. Hours after the crash, he spoke live on TV at a meeting with political leaders -- but only about upcoming parliamentary elections, without mentioning the crash.

"They don't care if this hotel closes. They only care about the ballot box," Zaky said, referring to the Muslim Brotherhood, the fundamentalist group from which Morsi hails and which has dominated all elections held since Mubarak's ouster.

Nine of those who died in Tuesday's crash were in a tour group from Hong Kong that was staying at the Steigenberger. The husband of one of the victims had chosen not to go on the balloon ride and watched from the ground as it burst into flame and plummeted to the earth, with his wife, daughter, sister and brother-in-law on board, hotel staffers said. The man flew out of the country Tuesday evening.

Investigators were still gathering evidence about the cause of the crash, the head of the probe Walid el-Moqadem told The Associated Press, refusing to give details. He said investigators had not yet questioned the balloon's pilot, who survived the crash with severe burns.

"He could barely open his eyes," el-Moqadem said.

The hot air balloon was carrying 20 tourists from Hong Kong, Japan, Britain, Belgium and France on a sunrise flight over Luxor's dramatic pharaonic sites and desert landscape.

The disaster occurred when it was trying to land, just after 7 a.m. Tuesday. Initial investigations suggested that the fire broke out when a landing cable tore one of the balloon's fuel tubes, used to fire the burner that heats the air in the balloon. Investigators said it appeared the pilot jumped out of the balloon's gondola when the fire first broke out, still relatively close to the ground. The investigators spoke on condition of anonymity because the probe was not complete.

The balloon then rose back up, to some 300 meters (1,000 feet), the fire spread to the balloon itself, which burst. Amateur video taken from another balloon flying nearby shows it crashing it back to the earth like a fireball.

The only other survivor was a tourist from Britain, who may have gotten out at the same time as the pilot. He and the pilot were being treated in military hospitals in Cairo, as families of some of the victims arrived in the country to identify their loved ones.

For residents of Luxor, the main city in a province of around 1 million people, the tragedy only further added to their worries over the tourism trade on which they rely. Tourism is the main employer in the area -- and practically the only industry besides farming and a sole sugar factory processing the region's sugar cane crops.

Nearly everyone relies in some way on the visitors who come to visit the monumental ancient temples in Luxor and the Valley of the Kings, the desert valley where many of ancient Egypt's pharaohs, including Tutankhamun, were buried.

With little else to keep it going, the city has been hit hard with many foreign visitors staying away from Egypt amid the turmoil, protests and instability that have plagued the country since the fall of autocrat Hosni Mubarak in February 2011.

The number of tourists coming to Egypt fell to 9.8 million in 2011 from 14.7 million the year before, and revenues plunged 30 percent to $8.8 billion. Last year, the numbers climbed up to just over 10 million, but most tourists go to the beach resorts of the Red Sea, staying away from Nile Valley sites like Luxor.

In Luxor, "when tourism stalls, it affects the tour agents, the drivers, the boat owners, vegetable and fruit sellers, the groceries, the butchers and everybody else who are part of the cycle of life of tourism," said tour agent Medhat Ramadan, who nervously checked his IPad for the latest news on the crash.

"Even farmers who plant the food for horses that drive tourists in carriages are affected. It's all one cycle," he said.

Along with the depressed tourism, Egypt's economy in general has suffered amid the political turmoil. Constant protests, often turning into riots or clashes, along with political uncertainty, have dried up foreign investment. Foreign reserves, a key indicator for the economy's health, have shrunk by two thirds since Mubarak's ouster in February 2011.

The crash had one immediate effect with the suspension of all balloon rides in the area.

"This was one of the pillars of tourism here in Luxor. Now it is gone," said Ramadan. With tour companies forced to offer cheaper and cheaper packages to draw visitors to the city, offering balloon rides -- which draw a higher price -- was one way to pull in extra money for the companies, he said.

For months, hotels here have been reporting occupancy rates below 30 percent -- often well below, even in the winter high season, when normally they are nearly full.

Zaky said the Steinberger has averaged only 25 percent occupancy and has had to cut a quarter of its 400-member staff. At the same time, his gas bill has doubled and electricity costs rose 20 percent in recent months because of price hikes by a government trying to close rampant deficits.

Hesham Youssef, who runs a sailboat offering trips for tourists on the Nile River, said he sometimes goes for three days without a client.

He said Morsi is good -- "a man of the poor, he always mentions God's name." But, Youssef said, "he needs to come out and say something about what happened to those tourists. It is not his fault because what happened was something from God, but he must say something."

Tharwat Agamy, from Luxor's Tourism Chamber, said there was no immediate word on cancellation as a result of the balloon crash, but he feared they would soon happen.

"The whole world is talking about this right now. We are doing our best to push tourism forward but this will take us back many steps back,' he said.

- See more at: http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?secti ... b37TY.dpuf

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:05 pm

Most of the time humane nature is a truly wonderful thing to posses, it distinguishes us all from the animal kingdom. It gives us the opportunity to decide right from wrong. But the bad side of this gift always seems to kick in far to easily when tragic things such as this happen. People always seem to feel the need to put blame on eg. The pilot, captain, driver, organizer, equipment and so on. This knee jerk reaction causes not only problems for these examples, but also the friends and relatives left behind as we all need someone/thing to blame. We as humans like to suggest, surmise, produce words of supposition to not only voice our opinion, but to become part of the event. Reporting an incident is worthy, but the way the blame is being guessed at and the true facts are yet to be discovered and have been vocalized all over the globe is helping no one. All news agency's try to out smart each other to be the first to report, they use words like suggest, indicate or unclear just to be the first. I've lost count of how many/few people died or the nationalities in the first hours of this tragedy. We even had the worry that someone close to us had been lost when an ex-pat resident was presumed to be among the dead. There is no doubt that this will affect the balloon business and the thousand plus that depend on the income that this work produces but hopefully all will get back to normal when the final report is issued.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:33 pm

D all you have said I agree with but in fairness, the people in the tourist industry in Luxor should know what is being reported around the world, with this information, they will be able to determine a few things, like, should I expand, will the tourist industry pick up soon, should I invest further etc etc.... All involved should now be looking at at a short term business plan to get them over the problems that are going on, people can be neurotic, and the problems with one industry could easily pass to another industry, such as are the caleshes safe, are the public places safe and so on.... We know that there is no health and safety department in Egypt, and because it is getting around more and more people realise that there are safety issues.

This terrible incident may be the thing that if investigated fully and reported fully could make the tourist industry a real a viable thing that is properly governed and regulated for maximum safety.

There are too many people thinking the TI will pick up soon and are spending like people possessed ready to provide accommodation and alike, some of these people have their head in the sand, not knowing what is being spoken about around the world, and in all fairness if they don't know they will sink without trace. I know of nothing and no one who at this moment of time is promoting Luxor, but know of plenty that are running it into the ground, very unfair, but like you say that's what people can be like, we are in an unfortunate world where speculation is the "in word" but its speculation that can be the ruin of something or someone.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:08 pm

This is how the Seattle Times reported this accident. Pretty brief re: Luxor an focus'd primarily on ALL ballooning accidents:

A look at the deadliest hot air balloon accidents

Tuesday's crash of a hot air balloon near Egypt's ancient city of Luxor, killing 19 tourists, surpasses what ballooning experts believed to have been the deadliest accident in the sport's 200-year history, a 1989 crash in Australia that left 13 dead.

By The Associated Press

Tuesday's crash of a hot air balloon near Egypt's ancient city of Luxor, killing 19 tourists, surpasses what ballooning experts believed to have been the deadliest accident in the sport's 200-year history, a 1989 crash in Australia that left 13 dead.

Some of the worst accidents involving recreational hot air balloons:

- Feb. 26, 2013: A hot air balloon flying over Luxor, in southern Egypt, caught fire and plunged 300 meters (1,000 feet) to the ground, crashing into a sugar cane field and killing at least 19 foreign tourists.

- Aug. 23, 2012: Six people died and 26 were injured when a hot air balloon carrying 32 people, mostly tourists including some children, caught fire and crashed near the Slovenian capital of Ljubljana.

- Jan. 07, 2012: A hot air balloon struck power lines near Carterton, New Zealand and exploded, crashing to the ground and killing all 11 people on board.

- Oct. 14, 2009: Four Dutch tourists were killed in Guangxi, China, after pilots lost control and their hot air balloon burst into flames and crashed.

- Aug. 26, 2001: Six people including a child were killed when their hot air balloon touched a power line at Verrens-Arvey, in southwestern France.

- June 17, 1999: Four passengers were killed when their hot air balloon hit a power line near Ibbenburen, Germany.

- Jan. 31, 1996: Five people died in the Bernese Alps, Switzerland when their hot air balloon crashed into a mountainside at a height of 2,400 meters (8,000 feet).

- Aug. 8, 1993: Six people were killed when their balloon hit a power line near Aspen, Colorado, tearing off the basket and sending it plunging 30 meters (100 feet) to the ground.

- Dec. 11, 1990: Four people died near downtown Columbus, Ohio, after their hot air balloon hit a television tower and deflated.

- Oct. 6, 1990: Four people were killed in a balloon crash at Gaenserndorf, near Vienna.

- Aug. 13, 1989: Thirteen people were killed when their hot air balloon collided with another over the Australian outback near the town of Alice Springs. The two balloons were flying at an altitude of 600 meters (2,000 feet) when one plunged to the ground after the collision.

- Oct. 3, 1982: An explosion on board a hot air balloon carrying 9 people at a festival in Albuquerque, New Mexico killed four people and injured five.

- Aug. 6, 1981: Five people were killed and one seriously injured when a hot air balloon caught fire after touching electrical wires and crashed in a suburb of Chicago.

- 1785: Two Frenchmen attempting to cross the English Channel in a hot-air balloon were killed when their balloon caught fire and crashed, in possibly the first fatal aviation accident.

Sources: AP reporting and news reports. Compiled by AP News Researcher Jennifer Farrar.

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:55 pm

They forgot the Hindenberg, LLL!

Clandestino

Post by Clandestino » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:19 pm

Hindenburg :oops: was it...
"Qui multum peregrinatur, raro sanctifcatur..."
(Homer)

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:33 pm

The Hindenburg disaster happened in 1937 and resulted in the loss of 35 lives. Although classed as an airship it operated on the same principle, contained gas/air for the transportation of people and goods via a gondola stung from underneath. The airship caught fire while attempting to dock on its mooring pylon. Even today the cause of the fire is unknown.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:39 pm

I forgot to add. I was privy to a conversation tonight concerning this topic and I presume that it will be posted tomorrow on here some time making the point of my previous post concerning news coverage.

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:55 pm

Hindeburg is no mystery.. An obvious mistake was made..In Hindsight...
Static Electricity..
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

Lisak

Post by Lisak » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:00 pm

And I vaguely remember a balloon crash in Turkey a couple of years ago.
However, this and the other tragedies will not put me off doing a balloon flight in the future. I will however, be more mindful on which companies I will choose.
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:08 pm

Lisak wrote:And I vaguely remember a balloon crash in Turkey a couple of years ago.
However, this and the other tragedies will not put me off doing a balloon flight in the future
. I will however, be more mindful on which companies I will choose.

The University of Life.. The Best Education in the World.. :cool:

I'll have no hesitation either..... :up

With those numbers, it's a very rare occurrence, and once the lessons have been learned, we can enjoy this little treasure of Luxor again.
Always a wonderful sight in the clear mornings...

Millions of other people cant be wrong...
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:09 am

LovelyLadyLux thanks for the information. Its surprising.

The overwhelming majority of crashes are surprisingly in the first world where you would expect the highest equipment and staff standards. You would also expect the best regulation and inspections. So deaths occur despite best efforts.

Maybe ballooning is inherently dangerous, wherever you do it, although this wont console the injured or families and won't be able to be used in 'defense' of this accident. However, the danger of ballooning is probably much less than other 'adventure' activities when you take account of the thousands of successful flights each year both in Egypt and elsewhere.

Agree with others that its all over the western media and no Egyptian marketing campaign is going to change perceptions of Egypt any time soon. Maybe all that can be done is to wait for people to forget but the lessons from the terrorist massacre of tourists at Hatshepsut temple (although a more frightening event and about general safety) seem to be that it might take a long time.

To reassure future tourists a full public investigations, lead by overseas experts, might be worthwhile even if it might offend Egyptian sensibilities about western interference.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:16 pm

British survivor of Egypt balloon disaster recalls events.

Michael Rennie tells crash investigators he only survived hot air balloon disaster in Luxor by jumping from basket after gas cylinder exploded.

Briton Michael Rennie, the only passenger to survive Tuesday's hot air balloon disaster in Luxor, has said he only survived because he jumped from the basket immediately after the pilot.

The balloon exploded as the pilot, the second survivor, attempted to land following the discovery of a leaky gas cylinder. The crash resulted in 19 deaths.

Speaking to Egyptian crash investigators, Rennie said the balloon went up in flames only three seconds after the gas leak started.

He said he did not think he would survive the fire.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/65883.aspx

chiddy

Post by chiddy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:05 pm

take two "bodies" out of the balloon and the change in weight will cause it to rise
There is no such thing as strangers just friends yet to meet.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:02 pm

chiddy wrote:take two "bodies" out of the balloon and the change in weight will cause it to rise
I was about to say the same, but you beat me to it.

I hope that the two who successfully bailed out do not get the blame for the consequent deaths.

Brian

Lisak

Post by Lisak » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:56 pm

Bullet Magnet wrote:
Lisak wrote:And I vaguely remember a balloon crash in Turkey a couple of years ago.
However, this and the other tragedies will not put me off doing a balloon flight in the future
. I will however, be more mindful on which companies I will choose.

The University of Life.. The Best Education in the World.. :cool:

I'll have no hesitation either..... :up

With those numbers, it's a very rare occurrence, and once the lessons have been learned, we can enjoy this little treasure of Luxor again.
Always a wonderful sight in the clear mornings...

Millions of other people cant be wrong...
And, without meaning to take away from what happened at all....when it is your time to go, it is your time to go, no matter what!
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.