Balloon crash in Luxor

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Re: Balloon crash in Luxor

Post by Mad Dilys » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:11 pm

I'm at present in the UK and at 06.30am I recieved an email which read:

I have heard there was a fatal balloon accident today. I hope it was not your company - very sorry and please accept my condolences if it was.

If it was another company's balloon, do you know whether your flight will go ahead tomorrow as normal?

Thank you in advance for your response

For 10 minutes I couldn't contact anyone in Luxor - then my son rang me to say he was OK.

Now I feel relieved and guilty for feeling relieved.

Smile! It confuses people

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:52 pm

Wonder if an enquiry will go on about this tragic accident like they do for aircraft, Sky are reporting all the previous accidents in 2007, 2008 and 2009 along with other incidents during the past couple of years, there was a photographer on board a balloon today close to the balloon that suffered malfunction, that questioned the experience of the balloon pilots.

The possibility of the tourist trade, being effected may be right, but it will be the economy of Luxor that suffers the most!

Lets hope that for those that were sent to LI Hospital get stabilised quick and are sent to the hospitals in Egypt that can cope with the type of injury that may have been received.

From my own point of view, the balloons land close to me, and the way they skim the tree tops and buildings looks frightening almost as though the Pilots are trying to hone their skills to perfection, but maybe this should be done without tourists on board, a little like motorcyclist do if they can get a tourist on the pillion, dare I mention showing off!!

But at the end of the day this you can bet will get investigated, hopefully in a first class and professional way, and a report issued on this terrible tragedy, only then will the industry be seen as secure and professional and once again we will see the majestic balloons in the skies over Luxor again. I would hate to see HAB's missing from our skies.

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:58 pm

Mad Dilys wrote:For 10 minutes I couldn't contact anyone in Luxor - then my son rang me to say he was OK.

You should not feel guilty it is a purely human emotion to know that your loved ones were safe.

CE I fear it will be a very long time before we see a return to balloon flights over Luxor. A tragedy not only for those involved today but also the hundreds of others who will be affected, directly and indirectly, by the cessation of flights and the income they generate.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:14 pm

FABlux wrote:
Mad Dilys wrote:For 10 minutes I couldn't contact anyone in Luxor - then my son rang me to say he was OK.

You should not feel guilty it is a purely human emotion to know that your loved ones were safe.
Of course it is.

My son had tried to talk me out of getting on another balloon trip and could not get through to me on the phone this morning. I learned about the incredibly tragic accident in a text message from a very worried and now very relieved young man. I do not feel guilty about thinking of how he must have felt.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:49 pm

When a gas canister explodes under these circumstances people will get injured or killed. But I was wondering, are these gondola's fire proofed? If not, this fact could of increased the fatalities.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:37 pm

BBC are reporting 2 UK tourists and a British resident. its also reported that a landing line got caught up with the gasline which then broke.
R

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:17 pm

Bombay you are right official statement here, https://www.gov.uk/government/news/fco- ... h-in-egypt :-

Following events in Egypt this morning an FCO spokesperson said:

“We can confirm the tragic deaths of 2 British Nationals and 1 British resident following a hot air balloon crash in Luxor, Egypt earlier today. The next of kin have been informed and our thoughts are with them and their families at this difficult time. We are providing them with consular assistance. We can also confirm that one other British National was involved and is in a stable condition.

“We have had consular officials in Luxor since early this morning who have been focussed on providing consular assistance and supporting the Egyptian authorities. Our Ambassador to Egypt has met the injured British National and has offered our assistance”.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:47 pm

Is this a British resident in Luxor or a foreigner resident in the UK?

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:42 pm

I understand it was 4 visitors from the UK but only 3 were British nationals.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:10 pm

Wonders of the English language

Mimimay

Post by Mimimay » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:03 pm

Mad Dilys, I too was shocked to hear of this when I awoke this morning and my first thoughts were of all of you, of course,it's only natural that we think of the ones we care about first, but you shouldn't feel guilty for feeling relief,that's human nature. Shocking to hear that 'our' balloon was flying next to it ( I still call them our balloons) and I hope that you are all coping the best you can with this tragedy.Thinking of you and senidng all our love to you all and our condolensces to all who were involved RIP XXXXXX
Different eyes see different things......different hearts beat different strings Image

Clandestino

Post by Clandestino » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:02 pm

There was a hungarian among the victims...
May he/she was also a lonely wanderer, just like i was been before...
How could be a son of a so small nation catch a balloon full with westerners and asians...
It's not common by backpackers to get a balloon...
It's not common by ordinary tourists to do an adventure like a balloon - flight - alone...

May he/she could feel being happiest creature all over the world while he/she did look around under himsel/herself... What he/she saw it was the lost land of the miracle form our childhoood...

May he/she was happy about being far away from the depressive atmosphere of our little country... His/hers homeland... Hopelessness... Joblessness... Uselessness...
The most common feelings of common people since long time...

May he/she thought he/she will be forget what he/she left behind himself/herself by the moment of getting the plane to Egypt... Just for short time... Just for getting a reload... maybe...

Then just a moment - or minutes of dread...
Surely i didn't know who this person was...
Sincere condolences...
We speaks - 'Béke poraira...'
"Qui multum peregrinatur, raro sanctifcatur..."
(Homer)

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:05 pm

There is a list of all the people on the balloon posted on Luxor Times, didn't seem to be any Luxor ex pats on board.
My sympathy is with all the families and friends of those concerned, I have had phone calls today from friends and family to make sure I was OK, it is only natural to care for those nearest and dearest to us.

Isis*dancer

Post by Isis*dancer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:00 am

A tragic accident and so, so sad for the victims and their families. The balloon industry may not ever be the same in Luxor - just another blow for tourism. Apparently the balloon company was a fairly new one in the market and the pilot who has survived so far in hospital with severe burns, is a friend of my partner. It then becomes all too close to home.

My deepest sympathy and thoughts to all involved.
When one door closes another opens!

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:10 am

My deepest sympathies to all

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:35 am

Isis*dancer wrote:A tragic accident and so, so sad for the victims and their families. The balloon industry may not ever be the same in Luxor - just another blow for tourism. Apparently the balloon company was a fairly new one in the market and the pilot who has survived so far in hospital with severe burns, is a friend of my partner. It then becomes all too close to home.

Actually this company previously operated for several years as Balloons Over Egypt in partnership with Virgin Balloons - Virgin left in about 1996 I think. The Egyptian partner continued for a few years then for reasons best known to themselves they changed the company name to something like Egyptian Hot Air Balloon and Airship Company, but put the legend Sky Cruise on all their marketing. I would say they have been around with this logo for 10 years or more.

My thoughts are constantly returning to those involved in the present tragedy. God give them peace.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:51 am

MD, you will know this better than anyone, is there a cut out valve that stops the gas flow when a leak occurs, in a similar set up the space heaters do in Europe. Its a very small and easy piece of equipment but a very vital one, and works on flow of the gas.

They are lit but if a leak or accidental damage occurs to the gas feed line, it is detected by a flow switch and then the cut off comes into play, making the gas supply inactive and the appliance safe.

It seems as though the balloon burner and supply system does not have this feature reading between the reports of a gas lead becoming fractured, severed or just leaking.

It may be that it was nothing like what the news is reporting and hopefully it is a tragic accident that could have happened to anyone, but it seems as though all reports are centering on a gas leak followed by an explosion, which leads to the question of the gas cut out valve.

My hope is that following this, the investigators get to the bottom of things, tell the world the problem, and lets get the problem if there was one resolved and get these majestic attractions back flying again, i loved talking to the passengers from my villa roof as they gently and slowly came into land on the Nile flood plains on the West Bank.

Mimimay

Post by Mimimay » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:58 pm

So annoying that the reports I've seen have all seemed to be questioning safety throughout Egypt therefore tarring everyone witht he same brush.They are making it sound as if anyone can just take a ballon up with passengers in Luxor, no one mentioned that there are hundreds of balloons flying veryday of every year in total safety and all checked by the relevent authorities of course.It's making us out to be a bunch of fools ! :cry:
Different eyes see different things......different hearts beat different strings Image

Isis*dancer

Post by Isis*dancer » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:17 am

Mad Dilys wrote:
Isis*dancer wrote:A tragic accident and so, so sad for the victims and their families. The balloon industry may not ever be the same in Luxor - just another blow for tourism. Apparently the balloon company was a fairly new one in the market and the pilot who has survived so far in hospital with severe burns, is a friend of my partner. It then becomes all too close to home.

Actually this company previously operated for several years as Balloons Over Egypt in partnership with Virgin Balloons - Virgin left in about 1996 I think. The Egyptian partner continued for a few years then for reasons best known to themselves they changed the company name to something like Egyptian Hot Air Balloon and Airship Company, but put the legend Sky Cruise on all their marketing. I would say they have been around with this logo for 10 years or more.

My thoughts are constantly returning to those involved in the present tragedy. God give them peace.
My information is from an Egyptian involved in tourism but I think that the history of companies in Egypt does get a bit murky at times with changes in ownership and management.
When one door closes another opens!

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:45 am

Isis*dancer wrote:
My information is from an Egyptian involved in tourism but I think that the history of companies in Egypt does get a bit murky at times with changes in ownership and management.
Well something they have in common with much of the world then!