Where would you advise?

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Where would you advise?

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:20 pm

If a Tourist was staying in Luxor for 14 nights, and most do! where would you advise them to go at night? and if they had children including teenagers, where would you advise them to go. I have been asked this question by my Family, and can only cover about 6 nights, as for the Teenagers, knowing them I can only cover 3 nights. They like dancing and places of entertainment, even though they are interested in the usual things tourists are interested in, at night they like lively times. Is the Sheraton Disco still going? I am a little worried they will be bored stiff. The only thing that comes to my mind is JJ's music night, Sher. Disco if still going, if I suggested karaoke they would laugh at me and call me a yesteryear man. I am really stuck on this because even after 3 years I just do not know what to tell them. I feel like telling them to go elsewhere, Luxor is not for you! Its going to be embarrassing if they come here and are bored out of their minds. I have been trying to put them off for ages but fear they are making plans for a visit. Oh! God what can I do? Do I be blatant, do I say things that are not real? or do I just say there is little nightlife here. Can anyone tell me of places they could go at night. They have been to the Red Sea Resorts and I am sure they think Luxor is similar, oh! how mistaken they are!!

Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Re: Where would you advise?

Post by Cyprus100 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:37 pm

I've never been but I've heard the Genesis Bar (up towards Karnak) is supposed to be lively with karaoke and disco most nights. My friend has been and enjoyed it there and she's not much of a "bar" person.

We enjoyed a night at Sofra and for a different night went over to the Nile Valley Hotel for a meal and a drink on the rooftop restaurant for a different view of Luxor.

We've never been to Fellah's Tent either but it's supposed to be a bit of a giggle with everyone getting a galabiyah plus snake charmer, belly dancers and whirling dervishes. Then again, we've seen that on the top of the St Joseph hotel without having to pay an entry fee. ;)

Depending on how busy it is and of course, if it's still open the King Dude pub downstairs in the Gaddis Hotel is something a little different - unless they've changed the decor and it's no longer done up like a tomb?

Just hanging around the snack bars in the square by the Luxor Temple gives a different sample of the local nightlife too. That's something they will never have experienced in the Red Sea resorts.

We've been to Hurghada once on an overnight stay including snorkelling out at Giftun Island (about 14 years ago) and have never had an inclination to go back to the Red Sea. It doesn't have the character or the real life that's applicable to Luxor.

Just wandering between the hotels for a looksee is entertaining enough!
Michele,
Previously living in Limassol, Cyprus but now back in UK since 2016 :-(
Egypt is now so far away....

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:45 pm

As I think you may have noticed, l post on another subject, the age group you are seeking help for, may not realise the real beauty of what Luxor is all about, most tourist rise early and sleep early, for most the heat usually knock them out.

With 15 to 20 year olds in my family who were dragged kicking and screaming away from computor games and internet for a week, only realised what a wonderful time they had once they had returned to the U.K,...........and hey, real life was not too bad after all.

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:48 pm

The Answer lies in your question C.E. All problems come with the solution built in.. :cg

Chocolate Eclair wrote:.... I feel like telling them to go elsewhere, Luxor is not for you!
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:34 pm

Why would you want to lie to them? Give it to them straight! Luxor is paradise for many but that should not cloud your judgement when thinking of how others will perceive it. My children are 15 and 13 who live with their mum and are always asking me to take them, and why? because im so obsessed with it it must be good! No, i say, if you went you would be bored stiff, about the only thing of interest would be the hotel pool and that becomes tiresome if thats all your doing. Tell them straight. I love Luxor but i could'nt give a toss for what other people think to the place and i dont have any strange urges to want to make other people think its mecca. Sadly there are too many people with tinted specs on at the moment ( not necessarily on here ) who arnt prepared to admit that Luxor is not as alluring as it once was.

Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Post by Cyprus100 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:38 pm

We took my stepson when he was 12 or 13 years old for 2 weeks and he loved it and still talks of going back there one day. He's now 23 and in the Australian Navy.

He was perfectly happy playing pool at the Etap bar most nights with some of the other older kids.

It all depends on whether the kids have to be entertained of if they can make their own entertainment....
Michele,
Previously living in Limassol, Cyprus but now back in UK since 2016 :-(
Egypt is now so far away....

Angel gabriel

Post by Angel gabriel » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:20 pm

18 months ago we took my 15 year old step daughter and my niece to Luxor.

We stayed in a front Nile view room at the Sonesta, they had their own room. We took them to temples, tombs, restaurants, we hired boats, took them fishing, local transport, we took them to Sunshine Orphanage, ace animal hospital, an egyptian wedding, for a paddle in the Nile, to eat local food, speak with local people and play with local kids. We were able to allow them the to drive a motor boat to the west bank and back to our hotel and the independance they achieved in this wonderful country was amazing.

Much to our embarrassment they would have rather have sat around the hotel pool enjoying the facilities.

But the highlight of their holiday was helping to steer the motor boat from the hotel over to the west bank, for a fantastic meal at Africa restaurant and back again!

Give it a try - good luck !

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:01 am

Thanks for the replies, and suggestions, one of the suggestions Fellahs Tent is on my list me and my wife went twice every week when we were tourists, yes! it is a very good night I totally agree, and I know they would enjoy every second of that.

There are two 19 year olds and an 18 year old, they are all trendy and into teenage things, their love is disco and dancing, like most teenagers live it up at night sleep during the day. So its a case of keeping them interested at night where the problem lies, my disco days finished a long time ago, I hung up my white suite, black shirt and white kipper tie, and become a more sedate animal, one that did not have to go back the next day to apologise. But teens will be teens they like their fun. I could not send them to a karaoke they would sit there taking the juice and interupting the night, or maybe howling at the singers. We all know its maybe trendy here, but died a death in the UK 10 years ago, when the novelty of people screaming down a michrophone ended up giving the ordience tintinus. I think they would enjoy JJ's live music nights and Axel and Julie are good hosts, They might even get a blast of the "Red Hot Chilli Pipers" with Smoke on the Water.

I can understand what A4 is saying too, because that was my experience when a tourist, but these 3 are tough headbanging vampires who want to be up all night, proper night owls, who dance till they drop...

Its a bit of a dilemma with teenagers, being dwellers of Luxor we want them to come and enjoy themselves, but after looking around we do not seem to cater too much for their needs. For us we were more interested in sightseeing and marvelling at the Pharonic wonders Luxor has, maybe a quiet Cola and shisha in one of the bars, a or a chat with the locals about the day, but for their age group its a problem, they see the culture and then are off to the night and boogying down.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:11 am

After reading about all those wonderful evening distractions ie: King Dude, Genesis, Fellahs' Tent ect, 'rocking!
I would recommend sending them to Hurgharda or staying home if that's what's on offer it sounds like you lot have lived a pretty dismal life....:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

hatusu
Egypt

Post by hatusu » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:47 am

Just face the truth - Luxor is not a place for teenagers unless they are seriously into Egyptology. My son hated it when he visited me; my 2 nieces who live in Dubai hated every minute of it (apart from the horse riding) and beg my sister never to bring them here again. All 3 of them would have loved Hurghada which I detest. Horses for courses. The reason the vast majority of people come to Luxor is for the monuments and historic sites.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:04 am

Surely, given the ages of the teenagers - 18 and 19 year olds - they could be reading up on the area themselves on specific travel forums and deciding if they want to go to Luxor, go off on their own somewhere, or simply stay at home. It's not as though they are children/young teenagers who do have to go away with their parents!
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:27 am

Give them 2OO quid a piece book them a cheap flea pit hotel in downtown Hurgharda and forget about them, they will thank you and want to return again and again it's Russia's hedonistic Ibetha...if they want to look at 'old stuff they can have fun on the daily buses coming here, fall in love and learn some Russian so you have it all in one...or give them your subscription to The Oldie magazine......:cool:
PS: Don't forget the condoms........
Sophocles.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:35 am

The "trendy" young people I know, who are used to clubbing and partying and still go on holiday with their parents, though they are old enough to decide for themselves, cherish the holiday memories that they share with the family. They know what it is worth to be able to look back at family nights at Greek tavernas, trips through beautiful landscapes, and find themselves in the meeting with other cultures. A holiday in Luxor would be perfect for them. Their everyday lives are glamorous enough and they go crazy at summer rock festivals when they are back home. They will make good parents one day, themselves. The reason they do not come to Luxor is that their parents think that it is too close to Midan Tahrir. :cry:

It is my impression that Luxor discos are for people who do what they cannot do at home. :zz

I remember talking with a man once, who had spent Christmas with his wife and young children in Provence, where nothing had happened. It was healthy for the children to learn not expect to be entertained all the timed, they grew up with different values, but that may be too late now - for the parents...

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:18 pm

I am sure everyone may be right,its just i am no longer a nightowl preferring to turn in at 9.30-10pm. Nightlife does nothing for me, and when I like to get up at 5am late nights will not apeal to me. I no longer drink, after seeing what it can do for some people, I just like my home and enjoy the company of my wife...

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:32 pm

Nothing wrong with that CE.. Many would say you have it made.. :up

Although, I do love the night and early mornings..
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:03 pm

Do you have to stay in Luxor all the time? How about a few days in the desert or the Red Sea? That's what we have done in the past when my son & his partner came over. It was lovely to show them some of the other parts of Egypt that we like.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:22 pm

I'm kinda inclined to agree with hatusu,Hepzibah and Who2!
I got 1 son,2 daughters and 3 granddaughters.I wouldn't encourage them to visit Luxor.My kids are all in their "20's"now,but I just know that they'd be bored rigid.There's nothing for them to do in the evenings!
They'd plod about the tombs and temples and their first thought would be where they could get a cold beer!
I'll agree with CE that any karaoke would reduce them to hysterics and their comments would be unprintable!!
Sorry,but they know that their mum is only "pseudo"culture vulture...who loves the weather in Luxor much more than the cultural experience!!!
As for the gigalos...my daughters would eat them for breakfast....I'd have no worries on that score!!
Who2 always advocates sending the "bloody tourists"to Ibiza or Margate.For one night only...I'd agree!

Luxormad

Post by Luxormad » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:15 pm

They can try the Kings Head pub where the barmen will play pool for you bar tab , and they also show football on saturdays and any european matches.
The Gaddis hotel puts on a Karioke on tuesdays and thursdays which is ok , or just try the hotel crawl and i'm sure you will find something to put a smile on there faces.
As others have said its very hard to please the younger ones , my sons veiw of Luxor is (Ok its a pile of stone , Ok its a pile of very old stone)thats the truth of it.
I wish you luck in keeping them amused :lol:
Brian

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:15 am

Mind you, give them a bit of culture and send them to The Luxor Film Festival, just a thought......:cool:
Sophocles.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:49 am

Its settled, they are going to Sharm for a fortnight and coming to Luxor for 3 days, phew!! I was starting to worry a bit.. but thanks all for the info... Its very difficult to keep young people satisfied in Luxor, but although i have never been to Sharm for years I am sure it will suit them better.. (What a lucky escape)