Cafe Latte - near Mcdonalds?

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Cafe Latte - near Mcdonalds?

Post by Cyprus100 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:43 am

Anyone tried this place yet?

It looks to be near Mcdonalds and Snack Time but may possibly have better views...

We're not all coffee drinkers but looks like we may just have to pay it a visit when we're in Luxor very soon.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/CAFE-Latt ... 9461469198

I understand they do coffee, various teas and soft drinks with a limited choice of snacks (cake, pastries and toasted sandwiches/panini).

Does anyone know what time it's open till?

Michele,
Previously living in Limassol, Cyprus but now back in UK since 2016 :-(
Egypt is now so far away....

TonyC

Re: Cafe Latte - near Mcdonalds?

Post by TonyC » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:00 am

Very nice place, indeed. Think less pretentious Starbucks! No ground floor so you have to climb stairs. There are three floors with balconies (smoking allowed) giving excellent views over the temple square. Glass doors separate balconies from the main areas, which are very cool. I haven't been through the menu, but the cappuccino has more coffee in it than Starbucks! Nice foam patterns, too, if you like that sort of thing! It costs 13LE, though I report that at the risk of incurring the wrath of the money-conscious. Seen cakes in the display cabinet but never checked on the panini. Smiling staff, some newspapers, a selection of Aboudi books and magazines to buy. What's not to like?

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:01 am

I've only managed to visit it once but was more than happy to sit somewhere that is more like a coffee shop than a fast food place. I didn't try the cake but it has come higly recommended by regular visitors - carrot cake possibly being the most popular. If you like mangoes try the fresh mango juice - it is superb. Would I give it a second try - most certainly.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:03 pm

Liked it very much, I think mainly for tourists and ex pats who can afford the prices, can get very hot on the roof during the day though.

Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Post by Cyprus100 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:56 pm

Think we had better put it on "the list" then!

Thank you! :)
Michele,

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:58 pm

Cyprus100 wrote:Think we had better put it on "the list" then!

Thank you! :)
I wouldn't say it's a 'must visit' but it's most certainly a good place to stop for a breather if you are in that area. It will also be a good spot to be at sunset.
-Aldous Huxley

Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Post by Cyprus100 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:17 pm

Initially we will be at the El Luxor Hotel for a couple of nights and will then join our cruise boat but if all goes according to the itinerary, we will be moored at the Luxor Bridge from Weds until we sail on Friday lunchtime so I envisage we will be making our way up to the square near the Luxor temple in the evenings or, not sure if there is anywhere to go for a drink down by the bridge?

I haven't been there for sometime now so not sure if they made any developments in that area...

We don't want to be going drinking in expensive hotels so will be giving the Movenpick/Jolie Ville a wide berth and also the Sheraton. I got bitten to death last time we were at the Sheraton!

Help in that location would be much appreciated.
Michele,

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:17 am

I always think that if you look where the locals go you will not be overcharged too much. I dont drink Alchohol very often at all, due to the heat and because I do not like bottles of gas!! So cannot tell you about where to go for beers etc. I used to use Sindbads regular but even Sindbads started charging me taxes so just stopped using it, now when I pass by and they say they have not seen me I just tell them straight, I live here and you know it, and the last time I was in you chrged me taxes so "Allass", no more!!

I believe you will always pay more for things of this nature on the East Bank because its geared up for Tourism and prices that go with Tourism in a Dual Priced City. At one time I stopped using the traders on the West Bank because they saw a white face and brought larger cash tills. Since then though the West Bank has got its act together more and even small shops can be cheaper than the Luxor Supermarkets. White Goods can now be bought cheaper than White Goods in Luxor.

I general West Bank hotels can be cheaper for Beers and Wines than East Bank places, so it may be worth getting to the public Ferry and paying 1le to explore these places in the evening.

Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Post by Cyprus100 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:45 pm

Looks like we're planning to go over to the Nile Valley Hotel on our first "proper" evening. We went there last time during our stay and it was nice to see the view from the opposite side of the river.

Other than that we will play it by ear as to what's happening of an evening on the boat while we're moored by the New Bridge. I understand there isn't too much down there.

It may be the odd bus ride up the road to the Winter Palace area for a stroll round if we get bored of yapping and table tennis!
Michele,

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:50 pm

Nile Palace doesn't seem too good for food and drink though, from my experience. I'd advise you to wander a bit further into Gezira and go to the Fayrouz - an excellent menu and wine and beer available after Ramadan. If you go on a Saturday night and see a small, noisy crowd it's usually several members of the forum!
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:41 am

Chocolate Eclair wrote:I used to use Sindbads regular but even Sindbads started charging me taxes so just stopped using it, now when I pass by and they say they have not seen me I just tell them straight, I live here and you know it, and the last time I was in you chrged me taxes so "Allass", no more!!
Dual pricing in as much as some people paying taxes and some not?
No where in my documents can I find a clause saying I do not have to pay taxes if I serve an expat?

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:58 am

"Nile Palace doesn't seem too good for food and drink"

Was that a typo, Stan? I do hope so, as I've had many a lovely meal or snack at the Nile Palace and couldn't imagine that better would be available anywhere on the West Bank. (Not that I'm knocking West bank eateries, they are usually very different, and also usually more than adequate in my experience, but nowhere that I've found on that side offers the variety and consistent quality that is available at this beautiful hotel.)

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:05 am

Yes Fayrouze and Sharazade have a better menu, maybe not such a good area and views over the Nile at night are not at all spectacular, it depends on what you want really. You can cross from the Sheraton Pier to the Al Bairat Hotel and get a good menu of food too. while actually sat down on the Banks of the Nile. But I do agree the F and S have the best menus in the Ramla/Gezera Area.

Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Post by Cyprus100 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:40 am

LivinginLuxor wrote:Nile Palace doesn't seem too good for food and drink though, from my experience. I'd advise you to wander a bit further into Gezira and go to the Fayrouz - an excellent menu and wine and beer available after Ramadan. If you go on a Saturday night and see a small, noisy crowd it's usually several members of the forum!
It's not the Nile Palace - it's the Nile Valley Hotel on the West bank. We went there 2 years ago and had an excellent meal and fairly decent price in comparison to the same on the East Bank.

We will only have 2 nights in Luxor (one of which will be the night of our arrival at around midnight) before we embark on our cruise boat which will be on Full Board so will have no need to eat elsewhere. But, we may pop off the boat for drinks if we're docked for the other 2 nights before we sail. In which case, we will take one of the local buses up towards the square as we're familiar with where we can get drinks around there.

It will be the Tuesday night so we won't be seeing any "small noisy crowds" by the sound of it. :(
Michele,

Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Post by Cyprus100 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:46 am

We did really enjoy the Sofra on the roof terrace too - but it was very, very hot and not much fun when you're eating.....

I've heard Africa is supposed to be okay too but not familiar with it or how to get to it from the National Ferry. Is it in walking distance?

Directions and recommendations to any places within a 10 minute walk from the National Ferry point on the West Bank would be much appreciated.
Michele,

TonyC

Post by TonyC » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:22 am

You know the Nile Valley, well Africa is further up the road and on the same side. Walk past the coffee shop and internet shop and Africa is on the corner of the first turning. The staircase entrance is just round the corner. A few yards further on a turning veers to the left (by another internet place); follow that round to find Fayrouz, Scheherazade and El Nakhil clustered together. El Mesala on the riverside is easily seen from the ferry area. You said in the original post you were arriving "very soon". If it's in Ramadan, some places won't be serving alcohol.

Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Post by Cyprus100 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:40 pm

Hi Tony

No, we will miss Ramadan - just!

When you say "Africa is further up the road and on the same side" - is that past the Nile Valley Hotel?

I was under the impression that Africa was in the opposite direction for some reason - ie, turn right from the National Ferry whereas Nile Valley is to the left...
Michele,

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:50 pm

Cyprus, you may be confusing Africa Restaurant with Africa Garden Restaurant. Africa Garden is on the right, just up the slope and on the bend in the road, as you walk up from the ferry and past the bus station.
-Aldous Huxley

TonyC

Post by TonyC » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:47 pm

Yes, there may be confusion! If you walk up the road from the ferry landing you will see Africa Garden beyond the bus station, as Hepzibah says. That road joins the main road and then Africa restaurant will be in front of you, across the main road. Or you turn left at the ferry along the "corniche" and walk up the main road past Nile Valley. Africa is on the same side of the road as Nile Valley.

Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Post by Cyprus100 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:02 pm

Aha! All comes clear now.
Thank you for sorting that one out for me. :)
Michele,