#luxorisNOTsafe?

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

#luxorisNOTsafe?

Post by Glyphdoctor » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:17 pm

http://www.egyptindependent.com/node/678091

Rather alarming. Things have to be worse than some of you want to admit if this is the extreme it has reached.

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Re: #luxorisNOTsafe?

Post by BBLUX » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:27 pm

My first comment on reading that article. Factually incorrect in that there is no such thing as flights from Hurghada to Luxor and never has been. The phrase is used twice. The tourists come by bus so facts have not been checked. Regarding the other comments about vendors hassling tourists...that has always happened to some extent so it is difficult to know whether these first time visitors have experienced more or less than previously. We had friends visiting over the last week and they commented that they had experienced less hassle than ever before...yes they are frequent visitors so they do know the score.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:42 pm

The article is translated from the Arabic version and the word for trip and flight are the same in Arabic so I am sure that this is just a poor translation, not a factual error.

And thing have gotten worse at Hatshepsut in recent weeks due to the protests against commission.

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Post by BBLUX » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:49 pm

Fair comment Glyph. Not having visited the Hatshepsut bazaar recently I cannot comment on that. Maybe a little fact finding trip coming up :tk

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Arthur

Post by Arthur » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:43 pm

"Wael Ibrahim, Luxor's top tourism official, said the governor, the Luxor security director and the head of Luxor's tourism authority have held more than 12 meetings to discuss removing street vendors from the areas around the city's temples and monuments. He added these meetings failed to produce any solutions and that the problem still continues, threatening tourism in the area."

Three men, 12 meetings, no solutions. What is there to get? No tourists = no street vendours = everyone loses. How many more meetings do they need before the officials clean up their act? I'm sure their salaries are in a different league to the street vendours... get on with it gents or step aside...

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:32 pm

I'm about 9 years old and can write better than that stupid so-called journalist Egyptian Gazette, well read in the suburbs of Great Britain no doubt, effective journalism ? Someone's 'trawling the bottom of the barrel,
have no fear their still raping white wimmin down here one every hour...Wheres' Yasser el Hambouli [the Lion of the Desert] when you need a Superhero to save the day. ? Jesus I'm off to my dentist tomorrow to have some proper fun.......:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:59 am

Dr Dr, is the title of your post not just a touch inflamatory?

Egypt, as a whole, has had a reputation as a money-grabbing destination for at least 2000 years, that alone doesn't mean to say that it is 'unsafe'!

Was it 'unsafe' behind Luxor Temple yesterday because tourists were being targeted, or was the Square temporarily made generally 'unsafe' because a peaceful crowd was angered by the interference of 'rubbish people' who were (reportedly) paid to foment trouble, and the arrival of the day tripping rent-a-mob from Cairo?