A Royale Visit.

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

A Royale Visit.

Post by A-Four » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:02 am

It seems that a certain portion of my family are to visit Luxor, at the end of November, they are to stay at the Movenpick. they usually stay at the Winter Palace, however there seems to be alot of building work going on, so they are all staying at croc island, where no dought l shall pick up their bar bills etc, as per usual for the whole lot of them.

The question is this, I have a young nephew, aged about 14, who l want to show the sites of the WB from the hils, is this still possible, I look towards BB and FAB Lux for this info. I do not want to promise the boy this , if it is now not possible.

God help the Movenpick with my family staying there, they will not know what has hit them. A certain member of ours on here know exactly what the 'royale family' are like, and God help the Movenpick and its god almighty infinity pool when this lot hit it.

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:04 am

I met a family here last week who did just that - they walked from Deir el Medina up and across into the Valley of the Kings - not sure whether they went past Deir el Bahri though. Although they were staying at the Winter Palace Pavilion, they came to the West Bank every evening to eat!
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:16 am

Thanks Stan, its just I do not want to promise the lad something, and then it can not be so, though I am sure all of us on here would agree that no matter how few sites they see, they go back home totally impressed, however I believe that a walk over the hills on the WB brings together the whole story of ancient Thebes, and this I hope to do with him on his last day in Luxor.

No doubt the rest of the Royale family inc baby David will spend their week propping up the bar, good God.

Once again, thanks Stan.

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:42 pm

we can always go and have a go ourselves before you do the great walk with him. I know im not exactly built like a mountain goat but I think I did ok last time :lol:
Stand up to be seen
Speak up to be heard
Shut up to be appreciated

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:57 pm

Thats a good idea Robbo, perhaps we could get the old gang together and do it.............now that would be a sight for sore eyes.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:17 pm

A its the Maritim Jolie Ville now, and the new pool is open so they now have 3 pools, 2 for families and 1 for adults only, hope your tab will not be like the tabs we used to pick up... but there again we were both working and the money we used to spend meant nothing to us, its only since we moved to Luxor that we know how exspensive these 5* hotels are.. We still use it sometimes though, but not to often we have found a nice little place on the West Bank that we frequent everyday...

DIANA

Post by DIANA » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:40 pm

We walked over the Theban Hills from the VOK next to Seti's tomb over to Deir el Medina three weeks ago A Four. So it is still possible to do it. Don't forget to leave your cameras at home though as they are still banned from the VOK. :(

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:24 pm

Yes A4 just to confirm what has been said, Tim & his wife went across the hills & down into VOK a few days ago, without any problems. :)

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:54 am

I'd definitely take a camera for the magnificent views - you don't actually have to enter the Valley! Photography is banned in the tombs, but I don't know of anyone having a problem carrying a camera in the valley.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan

DIANA

Post by DIANA » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:12 pm

Actually Stan we were warned to leave our cameras in the coach or keep them completely out of sight in deep pockets or zipped up in bags. We were threatened with a E£ 1000 fine if our cameras were seen inside or outside the tombs in the Valley of the Kings.
I took this to be the current rules, although it seems ridiculously excessive to me. I think the authorities would be better advised to ban the agressive guide book and postcard sellers from the valley and stick to selling in kiosks.

Miriamkhalifa

Post by Miriamkhalifa » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:58 pm

And I guess there are no lockers available for the cameras? If you come to VOK with a camera you will have to leave it just in a shelf?
"One band, two oil barrels, three chords, four dreams, five lies, six ties, seven deadly sins and eight ways to stay alive. They know who you are, they know where you live, they're the Kaizers Orchestra~"

JOJO
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by JOJO » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:23 pm

A-Four wrote:
No doubt the rest of the Royale family inc baby David will spend their week propping up the bar, good God.
I could think of worse people to spend my holiday with, looks like your in for a colourful week A-Four! :)

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:26 pm

Sorry Stan but yes cameras are banned anywhere in the Valley now & will be confiscated. Signs say to leave them in the vehcles.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:26 pm

I would recommend climbng the steps from Deir el Medina, taking whatever photographs you want to from the top, but descending to the north of Deir el Bahri, as my guests did last year. Absolutely no point in descending into the VotK.