Balloon Accident

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Balloon Accident

Post by DJKeefy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:12 pm

Ive only just heard but 3 days ago Sky Cruise Balloons nearly had a bad accident, apparently the balloon went acroos the nile due to the wind currents, the balloon hit another current which took the balloon into the nile, fortunately another wind current caught the balloon and it landed on the other side on the land, only 1 person was slightly hurt.
Last edited by DJKeefy on Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:17 pm

It was common knowledge within the hour, but once again would locals tell tourists, ignorance is bliss..........8)
'in more ways than one
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Shareen

Post by Shareen » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:38 pm

Lol didn't know a thing about it until I just saw a youtube video taken from the Iberotel. And I only live a few hundred yards away from where it landed! I think I must sleep too well.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

JOJO
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by JOJO » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:19 pm

Shareen wrote:
Whoaaa, and that's why I've never been on Balloon ride out there! :worry:

Countessa
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Countessa » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:26 pm

Omg, those poor people on the balloon must've been terrified - my heart was in my mouth just watching it!
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...

TonyC

Post by TonyC » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:07 pm

MD, on the other "nearly an accident" thread, points to the possibility that it was a deliberate tactic; maybe it was a thrill-seeking ride for passengers (difficult to see how many were in the basket). I wonder if the pilot was struggling to control the balloon ... there's a bit "missing" on the video, between the shot of him hovering above the water and the balloon approaching the moored dahabiyas, to sail up over them and the building and land in the field. A passenger vehicle was there in moments, too.

I thought "thrill" rides were banned by the new regulations. From a rented flat out in the fields, I used to watch some balloons fly along the reedy parts of the river just above the water, and on one ride I took the pilot "dropped" the basket into the sugar cane so we were charging through a wall of greenery!

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:27 pm

Im not very well at the moment with flu I think, im dosed up on tablets and my wording of nearly was wrong, it should have just said Balloon Accident cause thats what it was, A balloon is not supposed to drag along the water and its certainly should not be hitting a dahabiya, which did leave 1 person injured. So it was an accident. (it was not a thrill ride, the pilot had difficulty in controling the balloon, I was told it did drag along the water at some points, not seen in the video)

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:49 pm

Who2 wrote:It was common knowledge within the hour, but once again would locals tell tourists
Yes George they would, Ive not been out and about due to flu but had to go out due to some people flying home today, I was told within 30 minutes by 3 different Egyptians, most people know here that Egyptians love to gossip, maybe they think you are :lol: crazy :lol: and dont need to know 8)

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:15 am

A friend of mine who is staying at the Lotus watched the whole thing from his balcony, he said the balloon went into the Nile, he could hear the passengers screaming, it then got carried along by the current, lifted up again hit the dahabia and landed on the west bank.
Perhaps this is a lesson to those wanting a balloon ride not to go for the cheapest option but to a reputable company.

TonyC

Post by TonyC » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:26 am

I didn't say it was a thrill ride, but a possibility based on previous observation. But now there has been more reporting, I'm willing to accept the balloon was in trouble. In which case, the pilot deserves praise for preventing a more serious accident.

(I should never have mentioned balloons ... two landed on the fields right behind the house this morning!)

Mickey

Post by Mickey » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:08 am

Two Dutch families were aboard this balloon and they have filmed part of it and send it to a Dutch newspaper.

They tried to keep their heads cool but as you can see from the girl 's face in the front it was really terrifying.

Whether it was a human or technical mistake or the wind isn't known. To me it looks like the pilot has done as much as possible to prevent an even more serious accident.

http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/vide ... ?cid=short

<object id="flashObj" width="480" height="270" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shoc ... ,0"><param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer ... =1"><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF"><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=1229449657001&linkBaseURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.telegraaf.nl%2Fs%2F10763424&playerID=275257540001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAPLptWHE~,ndp_QiqbO1S9tJ3E7HvBHH6jJrAKDzzb&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true"><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com"><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer ... d=1&isUI=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1229449657001&linkBaseURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.telegraaf.nl%2Fs%2F10763424&playerID=275257540001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAPLptWHE~,ndp_QiqbO1S9tJ3E7HvBHH6jJrAKDzzb&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="480" height="270" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/dow ... d></object>

Shareen

Post by Shareen » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:56 am

Interesting that this other video seems to show the balloon over the East bank heading back to the West Bank. So had it already crossed the Nile and was on its way back?

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:15 pm

Mickey wrote:Two Dutch families were aboard this balloon and they have filmed part of it and send it to a Dutch newspaper.

They tried to keep their heads cool but as you can see from the girl 's face in the front it was really terrifying.

Whether it was a human or technical mistake or the wind isn't known. To me it looks like the pilot has done as much as possible to prevent an even more serious accident.

http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/vide ... ?cid=short
I have just seen this video and can only say I am deeply shocked.

Barb

Post by Barb » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:40 pm

Shareen wrote:Interesting that this other video seems to show the balloon over the East bank heading back to the West Bank. So had it already crossed the Nile and was on its way back?
There was a balloon over the East bank at about 6.45 that morning because our dog was looking out the window and going crazy so I looked out to see what she was barking at and it was quite low over the fields between the Jolie ville road and Tv street. Dont know if it was the same balloon but Im sure it was from the same company because of the colours.

Bobtheblob

Balloons

Post by Bobtheblob » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:12 pm

I met some of the people that were in the balloon when they flew back to the UK (yesterday). They contacted the embassy who had been told no brits has been involved (same for the UK press)

They were increcibly shaken, they felt the pilot had stayed up to long and gone too high (boasting their ballon had gone the highest). They felt he didn't have enough gas to burn to get them out of problems. As you can see fro the video they passed ridiculously low over the hotel, were dragged through the water (and christ knows what would have happenned if the basket had taken in water) and then smasned into the boat at some speed.

It sounded terrifying to be honest.

And you are quite right the ballon had gone to the east bank, i understand some other balloons had as well but they landed. This one tried to go back across - the result you now know.

DIANA

Post by DIANA » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:58 am

My goodness those videos are terrifing. I find it incomprehensible that any balloon pilot, once having been blown over to the East Bank, would then attempt to get back to the West with the wide Nile between. This surely shows he should not be in charge of a balloon, let alone one filled with many people. Why would he attempt such a thing?
I think all punters should look to the safety record of their chosen balloon company very carefully when considering a flight.
On my one and only hot air balloon flight in Luxor we took off near the Ramasseum and were blown over to the East Bank. The pilot said he would keep us aloft for as long as possible and we eventually came down in a field not too far from Karnak as we were in danger of getting too close to the airport. I felt totally safe in his hands.

Miriamkhalifa

Post by Miriamkhalifa » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:40 am

I still want a balloon ride but with a well known company. This was just scary! Well, driving a car is a even more dangerous sport in Egypt methinks...
"One band, two oil barrels, three chords, four dreams, five lies, six ties, seven deadly sins and eight ways to stay alive. They know who you are, they know where you live, they're the Kaizers Orchestra~"

DIANA

Post by DIANA » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:06 pm

Yes this is true, the standard of driving on Egypt's roads is quite awful.
On the last day of my recent holiday in Luxor we had to turn back from an excursion to El Kab as there had been an horrific accident just in front of us. Six people died whilst standing by the roadside when a lorry just plowed into them. This was in broad daylight.
As far as taking a trip aloft is concerned, I would recommend the company Hod Hod when it comes to choosing a balloon flight.

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:19 pm

Diana what a dreadful experience for you (& the victims) I hope you are able to push it to the back of your mind

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:05 pm

"What do you expect ? 'If you pay's peanuts then expect to get monkeys.
'Your on your hols, don't you deserve the best ?
It's one of your lifetime's experience's, not an experience of your lifetime....deep...8)
personally, I think it's one of life's great cracks........8)
'closer to god are we'
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.