Un-insured taxi invalidates holiday insurance

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member

Un-insured taxi invalidates holiday insurance

Post by Bearded Brian » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:03 pm

My nephew and a friend were travelling from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai in NW Thailand the other week and were involved in an accident - luckily only one broken finger - the insurance company refused to pay out as they had used a 'normal'Chiang Mai taxi - ie one that is only insured/licensed for travel within the city of Chiang Mai. As I have been thinking of taking a side trip down to Edfu, Esna or Aswan I was wondering if Luxor taxis are insured/licensed to travel outside of Luxor, if not, is there any way they can obtain the necessary insurance/license and how much is this likely to be?

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:01 pm

No Brian they are not insured for travel out of the city they are registered in. The best is to use a proper tour company which probably be as cheap if not cheaper than a taxi, also permission is needed from the police (they issue them with something like a ticket for traveling with tourists) a proper tour company does all this for you, anyone taxi/minibus telling you to go to the police and sort this yourself should be avoided, they are obviously doing something that is not above board.

Petra Luxor tour company seems to be the best with prices and is properly licensed and insured for any kind of travel and gets all the proper paperwork from the police, Luxor4Tours uses this company cause we know that everything is above board with Ahmed (former Jollys Manager plus working in the tourism sector for over 22 years)

If you want to support Luxor4u you could book your minbus through us at www.luxor4tours.com our prices will be the same as if you walked in to the Petra Luxor offices.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:39 pm

Or you could take a private limousine, licensed and insured to operate throughout Egypt.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:21 am

Not entirely true Brian Yare. A private limousine is just a private car, which means exactly that, a Private car, just like one you or me might own. A company that as private cars like minibuses with a company name and has the required licence and gets the required documents for you to travel from the police, like the car company next to Tutotel is OK, but I would not travel with many on the streets that claim they are private limousines and dont have the proper documents to take tourists.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:54 am

Yes, this is totally true as Keefy writes, although I am sure he don't need me to stand witness here.

The driver must also go via the official routes, this is why so many ex-pats who use the super highway Sudan to Cairo road often get trouble, as it is not an official route, and at the end of the day, no matter how long we have lived in Egypt, we are ALL tourists if you are not Egyptian.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:34 am

A-Four wrote:
The driver must also go via the official routes, this is why so many ex-pats who use the super highway Sudan to Cairo road often get trouble, as it is not an official route.
Thanks for pointing that out A-Four

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:02 am

DJKeefy wrote:Not entirely true Brian Yare. A private limousine is just a private car, which means exactly that, a Private car, just like one you or me might own. A company that as private cars like minibuses with a company name and has the required licence and gets the required documents for you to travel from the police, like the car company next to Tutotel is OK, but I would not travel with many on the streets that claim they are private limousines and dont have the proper documents to take tourists.
This is true, if you look at the license plate you will see in some cases that the private limousines have private plates. The Blue Cab company in Cairo is like that. I use them but then insurance is not an issue for me.

Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Bearded Brian » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:48 am

A-Four wrote:Yes, this is totally true as Keefy writes, although I am sure he don't need me to stand witness here.

The driver must also go via the official routes, this is why so many ex-pats who use the super highway Sudan to Cairo road often get trouble, as it is not an official route, and at the end of the day, no matter how long we have lived in Egypt, we are ALL tourists if you are not Egyptian.
Thanks A-Four - I keep forgetting about official and un-official roads - it's been about 4 years since I travelled South by road in a taxi - could this explain why the driver took detours (probably to avoid check-points).

I probably invalidate my insurance every day without thinking about it eg hopping on the back of a motorbike without a helmet etc but when planning trips I like to know what is what so I can do my own risk assessment (damn all those Elf and safety courses I've had to attend)

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:40 am

If I'm right, you can tell the taxis licenced to travel outside of Luxor by their orange licence plates - but that may not be an indication as to whether they are insured.

I remember a similar argument put by taxi drivers about mini-cabs when I was living in Britain.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan

Shareen

Post by Shareen » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:20 pm

The limousine cars are fully insured to carry tourists throughout Egypt, they pay a monthly amount to the transport company of which there are many and their insurance covers the car and passengers.
They can be recognised by the orange number plates, and the name of the transport company has to be clearly displayed on the outside of the car or minibus.
Drivers too have to be insured, and this is obtained as part of the licence process. The driver, not the car. This insurance is basically what we would call a third party insurance and covers the driver in case of a claim against him.
Also there is a different driving licence for those driving tourist cars. My private licence only allows me to drive a private car belonging to me unless I have permission. But a tourist driver can drive any car that does not belong to him and is licenced to carry tourists.

I do have to say though, that I have never heard of taxis not being insured to travel outside of the town they are registered in. I would have thought they are not allowed to operate out of other towns, but travelling between towns should be no problem should it? I will ask about that one.

Sorry Keefy, but I think advising that only cars booked through tour companies are legal and fully insured is not exactly correct.

Permissions are not allowed to be obtained by a tourist. The driver has to go with full details of the vehicle and copies of passports for the visitors. This service is free now. The office will NOT permit anyone to obtain permissions except the driver himself.
All drivers know this and would never send anyone to "get their own from the police". Its not the police who give the permissions directly.
The same applies to permissions for feluccas, although the office in Aswan does make a charge for this.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:38 pm

Shareen, that matches what I had been told. Keefy, note that I specified "private limousine, licensed and insured to operate throughout", not just any old (or new) limousine.

Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Bearded Brian » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:17 pm

Thanks all for clarifying the situation - especially Shareen for the extra information. I have re-read Keefy's post and he doesn't say that only those booked through a tour company are legal but that the best option to be sure that everything is above board is to use a Tour company.

As I've lost today due to an upset stomach I'll have to postpone this side trip until my next visit to Egypt (what I had planned for today will be done on Saturday which was the day I had 'booked' for this side trip) and I'll look at both the orange plated limos and the tour companies.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:52 pm

Thanks for your post Shareen

I suppose I did not explain myself enough.. 8) (Ive just woke up so this might not read good) :lol:

I did say proper tour company, meaning a place like Jollys, Karnak travel, Petra travel etc. (ones that have an office)

The problem since after the revolution is that many of these private cars (limousine cars) that you correctly say pay a amount to the transport companies have not been paying, I know many of these at the East Bank and I still see them touting for business. Around 4 months ago I had to make a trip to Hurghada on the spur and the only option was to use one of these cars, the driver was great, 3 days later when the guy come to pick me up, it was just a normal car with no company logo on it and another driver who drove like a mad man on the way back, like Wills I think we did it in under 3hrs. also none of the police check points was manned so they were no checks of any papers if the driver even had any.

The good news is that the check points are now been manned again so it should stop these illegal drivers.

I just want, like im sure everyone does, is for people to be safe when traveling.

Or you could take a private limousine, licensed and insured to operate throughout Egypt.
Sorry if I misunderstood you Brian Yare, from your quote it looks like you were saying all of them were insured and licenced to operate throughout Egypt.