The Current Situation - Hassle E.T.C

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

User avatar
Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 6595
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:04 pm
Location: Snitzel
Has thanked: 1454 times
Been thanked: 5260 times
Gender:
Vietnam

Post by Who2 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:23 am

Perhaps I preferred the old days as a top guide said to me after Hatshepsuit, 'well we were getting too many 'rubbish people coming. If they want Ibitha, Loret de Mar, so be it, but don't ask me to play...............8)


"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

User avatar
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Posts: 10753
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:08 pm
Location: UK
Has thanked: 786 times
Been thanked: 1801 times
Gender:
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:13 am

Who2 wrote:Perhaps I preferred the old days as a top guide said to me after Hatshepsuit, 'well we were getting too many 'rubbish people coming. If they want Ibitha, Loret de Mar, so be it, but don't ask me to play...............8)
I bet he's wishing for those "rubbish people" now!!!
Image

User avatar
Lisak
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 378
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 12:51 pm
Location: Coventry, England
Has thanked: 374 times
Been thanked: 233 times
Gender:
Palestine

Post by Lisak » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:55 am

No, I see where you are coming from, but what I meant, was the getting rid of hassle side of things, and cleaning of the rubbish, all of which happened in Marrakesh. Tourism there was on its knees, but improvements were made, people were educated, things were cleaned up and tourism improved. This is what I meant about lessons being learnt from there.

I must admit, I hanker for the old Luxor. I much preferred the old souk, really hate what they have done to the Savoy Bizzarre. Feel the West Bank has lost its soul where the houses and families were moved...same along the sphinx avenue. There is much of the new Luxor that I really dislike. Also the hassle doesn't really bother me....but I know plenty of people where it does, and something really needs to be done about it!
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

User avatar
Angela
Member
Member
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:08 pm
Location: Al Bayadiyah, E.Bank, Luxor
Has thanked: 282 times
Been thanked: 223 times

Post by Angela » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:38 am

Lisak wrote:No, I see where you are coming from, but what I meant, was the getting rid of hassle side of things, and cleaning of the rubbish, all of which happened in Marrakesh. Tourism there was on its knees, but improvements were made, people were educated, things were cleaned up and tourism improved. This is what I meant about lessons being learnt from there.

I must admit, I hanker for the old Luxor. I much preferred the old souk, really hate what they have done to the Savoy Bizzarre. Feel the West Bank has lost its soul where the houses and families were moved...same along the sphinx avenue. There is much of the new Luxor that I really dislike. Also the hassle doesn't really bother me....but I know plenty of people where it does, and something really needs to be done about it!
I agree with Lisa. I've been to Marrakesh and it's outstanding. We stayed right in the heart of Marrakesh in a traditional Riad and we weren't hassled by the locals once. The Souks have traditional, locally produced crafts (no imported chinese tat) and the salesman I didn't find at all aggressive.

Lisa mentions Nightclubs which I didn't see so they must be tastefully hidden away and no tacky "Yorkshire Bob/Jimmy" signs to be seen or signs for English restaurants. :roll:

User avatar
Lisak
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 378
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 12:51 pm
Location: Coventry, England
Has thanked: 374 times
Been thanked: 233 times
Gender:
Palestine

Post by Lisak » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:49 am

Angela, I think the nightclubs are way outside of the Medina. (I actually don't know where, not having been to any there, but I do know they have a Pasha)

Also reading back to my first post on this, when I mentioned high end shops, I didn't mean like designer shops, I meant high end crafts and antiques, some of the antique shops I went into were like an Aladin's cave.
(I do think Marrakesh probably has designer shops out in the New Town, which is a more modern shopping and living area.....whereas I stuck to the medina)
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

User avatar
Angela
Member
Member
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:08 pm
Location: Al Bayadiyah, E.Bank, Luxor
Has thanked: 282 times
Been thanked: 223 times

Post by Angela » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:13 am

Lisak wrote:Angela, I think the nightclubs are way outside of the Medina. (I actually don't know where, not having been to any there, but I do know they have a Pasha)

Also reading back to my first post on this, when I mentioned high end shops, I didn't mean like designer shops, I meant high end crafts and antiques, some of the antique shops I went into were like an Aladin's cave.
(I do think Marrakesh probably has designer shops out in the New Town, which is a more modern shopping and living area.....whereas I stuck to the medina)
Yes - I think your right about the designers shops. We went on a tour outside the centre right out to The Palmeries where the large Villas are and there were designer shops on route etc.
But like you say, the Medina is kept very much traditional.The Jemma El Fna is a World Heritage sight and I can't imagine that they would allow the likes of MacDonalds or any other shop or restaurant which doesn't compliment the surroundings to be in the vicinity.

The crafts are high end, Mosaics, Iron work, pottery,kilims soft furnishing from silks, good quality cushion covers, carved wooden furniture, art work, beautifully hand painted arabic tables, glasswear the list goes on. Luxor has some very skilled craftsmen but they need someone who understands what appeals to the foreign market and focus on that.
Traditional Egyptian crafts are very similar to Moroccan crafts and if you browse the internet some of the items can go for a small fortune. Egypt should be cashing in on this love of traditional crafts instead of importing grotesque chinese rubbish that just needs putting straight in the bin.

A renewed sense of pride in all things traditional is required. :)

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Posts: 2135
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:19 am
Location: Luxor/UK/Ibiza
Has thanked: 4710 times
Been thanked: 2353 times
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:18 am

Bravo Angela, totally agree. :)
Smile! It confuses people

TonyC
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:13 pm
Location: Luxor
Been thanked: 4 times

Post by TonyC » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:23 am

Lisak wrote:Angela, I think the nightclubs are way outside of the Medina ...(I do think Marrakesh probably has designer shops out in the New Town, which is a more modern shopping and living area.....whereas I stuck to the medina)
Lizak is right about the the designer shops spread out along the boulevards of the new town and there seems to be a big, chic population of locals and visitors (the French influence?). There was still plenty of hassle two Easters ago, centred on the major old town square – souk guides mainly, child and adult street sellers, etc, some of it quite persistent. I would expect nothing less in an area where tourists congregate!

Living in Luxor, I don't find the "hassle" intimidating but then I'm used to it. I think a lot of the trouble is in people's perception of "hassle". When we were getting the big crowds before the revolution, it was noticeable that many seemed to enjoy the bartering and the bantering, laughing at the attention they were getting. Many others obviously hated even being approached once!

We've had lots of advice on the forum about dealing with the hasslers – the polite "la shukrun", for example, or how to ignore it, even lose your temper. I offer an "inside" tip – if you are seen as rude, the hassle increases! ;)

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
  • Hassle
    by Zooropa » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:56 pm » in Visiting Luxor
    20 Replies
    263 Views
    Last post by Dusak
    Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:05 am
  • No hassle in Luxor
    by BENNU » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:20 am » in Visiting Luxor
    6 Replies
    368 Views
    Last post by Dusak
    Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:28 pm
  • Situation in Luxor
    by Kunis » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:51 pm » in Visiting Luxor
    38 Replies
    510 Views
    Last post by Kunis
    Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:13 am
  • Political situation
    by Chocolate Eclair » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:45 pm » in Politics and Religion
    2 Replies
    141 Views
    Last post by TonyC
    Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:57 am
  • IMF and the general economic situation - overview.
    by Hafiz » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:38 pm » in Know Egypt
    6 Replies
    538 Views
    Last post by Major Thom
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:25 am