360 tourists being held hostage in Edfu

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

360 tourists being held hostage in Edfu

Post by Glyphdoctor » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:31 pm

A group of farmers are holding 360 tourists, mostly German, hostage in Edfu until their demands are met. They are armed with weapons and agricultural tools.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:43 pm

And after 8 hours stuck in the buses they are on their way back to Mersa Alam.

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:49 pm

Glad they were released. What happened the farmers demands?

Shareen

Post by Shareen » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:45 pm

Have to post on this one.
A friend of mine was on one of the coaches from Marsa Alam.... She did not return to Marsa Alam, she arrived in Luxor just 3 hours later than she should have done.
I do not have full details of what happened, but apparently one of the villages blocked the road, so they had to wait.
They were not taken hostage, at no time were they prevented from leaving and returning to Marsa Alam, but they could not get past the blockage on the road to continue to Luxor. And as they were nearer to Edfu than Marsa Alam, they waited.
Also, is it normal for more than 300 tourists from Marsa Alam to be travelling to Luxor? New overday? Nah...... they would only have had time for a few hours after lunch to see all that Luxor overdays see.

Sorry Nicole...... but my "horse's mouth" is more reliable than Youm7 online news

jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by jewel » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:40 pm

This is the report seems we may see more of it in the foreign media soon....

ASWAN, Egypt: The Edfu-Mara Alam Road connecting Aswan and Red Sea governorates is once again open for traffic, reported Aswan Security Chief Ahmed Deef Saqr.

Saqr also denied reports that Wady Abady residents stopped tour buses carrying 360 tourists – detaining 12 of them – during demonstrations.

Wady Abady residents were protesting because irrigation water has been leaking and damaging the residents’ homes.

Many tourists were afraid to make the trip to Luxor because of security concerns in Upper Egypt, said First Assistant to the Egyptian Minister of Tourism Hesham Zazoa.

“These incidents harm the tourism sector particularly because many of the tourists videotaped the event and sent them to be published in the foreign media,” said Zazoa. “Many also called their ambassadors to intervene and help them return to their hotels in Marsa Alam.”

Some tourism companies are canceling overland trips and instead are arranging flights from Hurghada to Luxor in order to maintain revenue, he added.

Zazoa called officials at the national security office, the tourism police and other security organizations in Aswan governorate to help quell the crisis and allow tour buses safe passage.

A meeting will be held with the Egyptian Minister of the Interior in order to draw up new security procedures to continue to protect tourists and tourism.

The Aswan security chief, the Secretary of the Ministry of Irrigation, the Edfu governor and other governorate security leaders convened at the demonstration and discussed strategies to end the crisis.
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:47 pm

Wonderful another boost for the tourist industry.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:49 pm

It is certainly a lot of tourists, whether they were going to Edfu for a quick temple visit or to Luxor. This sort of thing will seriously impact tourism. Much the same as the earlier protests at Qena and on the rail service to Cairo.

I hope that TPTB can sort it out once and for all, ...

Shareen

Post by Shareen » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:56 pm

Its certainly sad that the media are already blowing this up out of proportion. Hostages is such an emotive word! We think hostages means terrorists. Not some farmers complaining about their water being cut off for most of the day so that they cannot irrigate their fields.
Hostages means "in captivity" in some way, not stuck on a bus because the road is blocked.
Does this mean that being stuck on the M25 for hours on end because there has been an accident and the road is blocked constitutes the local council taking us hostage?

Yet again, the media are causing more problems.

Shareen

Post by Shareen » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:57 pm

Do you think this means the return of the convoys? Mind you, 340 tourists must have been a convoy

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:02 pm

They should instal a convoyer belt.

But seriously, being detained for several hours in a coach when the outside temperature is about 100F is being a hostage in many people's terms.

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:14 pm

Shareen wrote:Do you think this means the return of the convoys? Mind you, 340 tourists must have been a convoy
Just what I was thinking. :) While freedom to travel independently is the preferred option, convoys would be the obvious (and hopefully) short-term solution to assure tourists.

But 300 plus tourists in one place is in itself a good sign, as most Egyptian business people feel there aren't that many in the whole country.
Carpe diem! :le:

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:23 am

There were two issues

1-Water flooding homes
2-DRINKING water provided only ONE HOUR per day during the entire month of Ramadan.

In the absence of any elected or even appointed local government or members of parliament to whom they could address their grievances, I don't see what choice the farmers had but to do what they did to bring attention to the one of the country's most serious problems. It might have inconvenienced some tourists but access to clean water is the most basic of human needs so I think they were completely justified. Without it, one dies. No one dies if they don't see Karnak.

It doesn't necessarily mean there was a convoy. They all could have departed at different times but reached the same roadblock.

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:01 am

It strikes me that there must have been other traffic held up as well.

In any other country it would have been reported that "Due to to a local dispute about water supplies, a group of farmers blocked the road at ****. Among the stranded vehicles were several coachloads of tourists on a day excursion. The traffic was allowed to flow freely again after a few hours."

Being held hostage must be a terrifying experience, and in no way equates to being held up in traffic, no matter for how long or in what temperatures. To even compare the two circumstances is utterly ludicrous!

If this was Egyptian reporting; it is an absolute disgrace! It just shows the level of their concern for their fellow Egyptians who rely on tourism for their livelihood or for the poor farmers whose seemingly desperate situation is sidelined by the more dramatic story regarding foreign tourists!

SHAME!

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:52 am

I totally agree with TB & Shareen, sensationalist media reporting :x

We got caught up in the protest outside Luxor & had to leave our car (& shopping) in Karnak a month or so ago, when all roads to the West Bank were closed, but I certainly wouldn't say we became hostages :roll:

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Post by BBLUX » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:06 am

The Luxor road blockage mentioned above was also related to a water shortage. Apparently there had been little or no water in that area for 3 days and no officials could be contacted. It had the desired result and their water was restored. At no point did we feel we were "hostages" and I did see several tour buses caught up in that action.
Sensational reporting by someone with an agenda. I'm not pointing at you Glyph but the media that used such emotive words.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

TonyC

Post by TonyC » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:41 am

BBLUX wrote:Sensational reporting by someone with an agenda. I'm not pointing at you Glyph but the media that used such emotive words.
"With an agenda" seems a bit sensationalist to me (a trade insider!). It was just a website hack hurriedly translating into tabloid journalese what little information he had. No excuses for the "reporting" and obviously he and his bosses calmed down a bit when they had more information – it became "road blocked" and "traffic hold-ups" later.

But there's no "agenda" there – though there might be for people repeating the original and adding their own comments. We're all "citizen journalists" now!
Last edited by TonyC on Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

TonyC

Post by TonyC » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:03 am

Teddyboy wrote:In any other country it would have been reported that "Due to to a local dispute about water supplies, a group of farmers blocked the road at ****. Among the stranded vehicles were several coachloads of tourists on a day excursion. The traffic was allowed to flow freely again after a few hours."
It's a lovely view of reporting, but other countries' media websites would have been just as sensational when reporting "as it happened"! Later, they would have taken stock and rewritten their reports, as happened in Egypt. A decent newspaper might have come up with TB's example, but we live in a brave new world where "information" must be "Now, Now, Now!" I always approach newspaper reports with caution; I approach internet reports with EXTREME caution. It's a pity so many people don't.

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:34 pm

TonyC, you are right, of course!

Shareen

Post by Shareen » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:17 pm

I now have permission to repeat what actually happened. My friend was in a car, not a bus, but there were coaches, mini buses and cars involved. The road was blockaded and there was no way through. My friend and her companions waited for a while, but nothing was moving. At this point, her taxi driver rang a friend, who arranged to meet them the other side of the blockade.
A security man walked my friend and her companions through the blockade to a family home where they experienced true Egyptian hospitality, before the taxi finally made its way to them and continued their journey to Luxor.

In her own words....

"I didn't feel in danger at any time!! Really and they were not shouting or anything they just blocked the road and it took about 2 hours not 8!!!!
You can mention me, no problem it's better that the people know the real story!!xXx And for the record I didn't see any farmer with guns, only the security guy that broth us to the other side of the blockade. "

Now wouldn't it be good if the media could now report on the real situation. Not the best of situations, but certainly not the hostage situation they initially reported.

TonyC

Post by TonyC » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:55 pm

Shareen wrote:Now wouldn't it be good if the media could now report on the real situation. Not the best of situations, but certainly not the hostage situation they initially reported.
Not much chance of that, I'm afraid. It's yesterday's news ... just fish'n'chip wrapping, as newspapermen would say! Actually, "the media" doesn't seem to have taken much notice of the "story" – there was just that one early report on Youm7. Hunt Google for it, and L4u is the only other site carrying reports of hostages! Probably very little harm done to the tourist trade.