Luxor4u works!

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Dave

Luxor4u works!

Post by Dave » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:13 pm

I got back last Thursday after a week in Luxor and thanks to this forum I had an even better time than normal. Brian Yare and others gave recommendations of places to eat on the West Bank and I tried them out. I tried' Nile Flowers' which only opened in February but due to the lack of trade the owner could only offer me roast chicken. ( I was his only customer that night)The food was not great but I would go back as the owner made such a big effort and was such a nice chap. When the tourists return, the menu will improve.

I tried 'Africa' again and agree with others that its not as good as it was a year or so ago. I followed advice from this forum and tried the top recommendation, FAYROUZ. I was very pleased with the extensive menu, quality of food, the atmosphere and the excellent service. It was comfortable eating in the gardens despite being a hot day.

I enjoyed Fayrouz so much that I returned the next night and once again it was fairly busy. By coincidence the next table was occupied by a group of English ex pats from this forum who kindly invited me to join them. I had the pleasure of the company of 'Helsx' 'Hatusu' 'Moonstone' and 'Living in Luxor'. It was great to be able to pick up so many tips on where to go to in Luxor and to learn about life in general in the area. Again the food was excellent and it didn't go unnoticed ( Moonstone) that I ordered rather a lot due to there being so many nice things on the menu. (That's my excuse etc. !) I had a wonderful evening, thanks.

I tried 'Blue Sky' but it was in darkness and appeared to be closed. I also went to 'Tutankhamun' but it was empty and I decided to try again on my next visit when hopefully there will be more people about.

As a result of the advice from the LX4u members at Fayrouz I went on a great walk over the hills above the Valley of the Nobles and found the Thoth temple by Medinet Habu which is in the process of being restored, great. I even went to a bar called 'Genesis' down past Karnak, recommended by L.I.L.. Not quite my cup of tea, I will leave L.I.L. to 'strut his stuff on the dance floor'. The advice I got before and during the visit from members played a major part of a great holiday, thanks again.

There is much talk of safety in Luxor but for my part I found it fine. This was my 3rd visit since Oct last year and it has changed. Many of the young men seemed to have acquired motor bikes which they use to race around the streets sounding their horns constantly. There are numerous new cars in Luxor which made me wonder if bank accounts are being emptied before the day of judgement! The Police have no interest in enforcement so the drivers are doing just what they want. I love to explore the side streets and I never felt uneasy or unsafe even late at night, I found Luxor completely safe.

The lack of tourists is the biggest change in Luxor, I have never seen it so empty, the result is a little more hassle from people trying to earn a living. There seems to be a few more people begging in the streets but not nearly as many as you find in most European cities. This is all a very small price to pay for the chance of a lifetime to experience visiting some of the worlds most popular monuments without the hoards of other tourists around you. My advice is book a visit and book it very soon.

Dave

Lisak

Post by Lisak » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:50 pm

Glad you had a great time Dave. I was over in June and couldn't believe how quiet it was compared with previous visits.

Glad you managed to meet with some of the posters on here...nice to put faces to names isn't it?

I really enjoyed my meal at Nile Flowers and found the owner extremely helpful and friendly. We had a better choice than you had, Beef goulash and chicken shawerma (there were also a couple of fish dishes too) I did recommend to him to get a small blackboard outside to say whet the daily dishes were, which might attract more people in.
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:05 pm

Thank you Dave

Luxor4u was setup to give people visiting and coming to live in Luxor the information they need, many people visiting Luxor have read our forum and enjoyed a better holiday by knowing more about the life here, lots of people have also moved here and picked up valuable information before making their move to Luxor (thanks to members who visit and live here for that information) :)

Nancy

Post by Nancy » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:44 pm

Where is Nile Flowers? I will try there when I go in December. I have booked my hols from Birmingham but thomsons have taken flighs off from there, seems they will land the Manchester plane to pick us up, my friend will go from Manchester but the other day I was looking for prices for her, and it said nothing avalable for dec 14th could it be that everyone plans to go at that time? 8)

Lisak

Post by Lisak » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:04 pm

As you cross the river and get off the ferry (or motorboat), turn left and walk along the Ramla..

When you get to the Masala hotel, (not very far along) stand facing it and look left. The restaurant is upstairs above a little shop. There is no menu, they change every day depending on what he can buy.

Wwe ordered and didnt even think about asking the price...when the bill was being bought, myself and Shareen were contemplating on how much it would be, and we were pleasantly surprised. 80 le for 2 inc drinks I think it was.

Mimimay

Post by Mimimay » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:51 am

Maybe if the prices for flights and packages to Luxor came down a bit more people would be tempted to go ! Been looking to go back to see how my MIL is and with the prices it looks as though it will just be Mr M and not all of us :(
They seem to manage 'cheaper' holidays to the Red Sea :(
Different eyes see different things......different hearts beat different strings Image

Nanny Ogg

Post by Nanny Ogg » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:31 am

We went to the Nile Flowers the other evening after coming back from the East Bank, we got settled at our table only for the man to come back and say sorry the chef had gone home, it was just after 11! Now I am really disapointed he had! We went to the hotel next door, think it was the Masala! I ordered spaghetti bolognese and Elomda order grilled chicken! wish I had too as my meal was terrible the meat was grisly, no tomato sauce and the pasta had been boiled into submission! Also we were sat in gardens which were very nice but I got bitten to death!
Will have to give the Nile Flower another go a bit early in the evening though!
Do or do not there is no try! Yoda

Lisak

Post by Lisak » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:56 pm

Oh no Nanny Ogg, what a shame.
I also ate at the Masala and had a delicious meal there, really well presented and well cooked. (do agree about the gardens, you definately need good insect repellant there.

Nanny Ogg

Post by Nanny Ogg » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:05 pm

Lisak it may have been because we were late but we waited ages for it and I ended up eating the potatoes in tomato sauce that came with Elomda's meal! Should have had the pizza like I was going to have but he talked me out of it by saying think of the syns and you keep moaning you're putting weight back on! :lol:
Do or do not there is no try! Yoda

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Post by BBLUX » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:21 pm

Namoosa are always a problem outside near the river.

Food at 11pm! I know most shops are open until around midnight but most restaurants finish cooking around 9pm.
Maybe the little Koshary places or chicken shops might be working but I remember one night we tried to get a chicken on the way home at around 9 and they were nearly all gone.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:42 pm

Great Post Dave thanks for sharing...

Masala Hotel restaurant UUUMMMHHHH!!!!!! Went there once long time ago, ordered chicken curry and a Tandoori, we got a Beef Curry and a Club Sandwich, did we ever go back???????

Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Bearded Brian » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:08 pm

If your namoosa bite turns into a bump don't ask an egyptian to feel it - he'll be looking for an elephant as 'feel' is egyptian for elephant.