Naproxen

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

denisegr
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Naproxen

Post by denisegr » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:43 am

Does anyone know if naproxen is available in the pharmacist and does it have an Egyptian name pls, many thanks

Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles,
but it does ruin today's happiness.
-anonymous

saraahmed
Egypt

Re: Naproxen

Post by saraahmed » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:07 am

Called Naprosyn here.Easily available in pharmacies.

denisegr
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by denisegr » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:00 am

Thank you very much
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles,
but it does ruin today's happiness.
-anonymous

Kim

Post by Kim » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:19 pm

Also Naprofen 500mg tablets, sold in boxes of 10

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Post by BBLUX » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:12 pm

Yes, Naprofen 500mg is what I buy and it is readily available. I have to cut them in half to get to the 250mg dosage I am on but that is easy enough.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:08 am

Good for joint relief after drinking too much red wine!

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:55 am

I was having to take 500 MG Naproxen tablets but ran out when I was in Austria a few months ago.
I went to the Pharmacy in Klagenfurt and they offered me Ibuprofen in the standard 200 MG form, and I said thats no good, I need something stronger, so she offered me 600 MG tablets, which I promptly bought as I was in agony.
Went next door to a coffe shop and took 2 of them with a cup of coffee and was in much less pain within an hour, after the second dose 4 hours later, my foot was right as rain and it hasnt bothered me since.
cost was about 2 Euros for a pack of 10 x 600MG tablets.. They looked like Naproxen too, except they were pink instead of brown.

My Wife who is a Nurse went absolutly ape telling me that dose was far too much !
( My reply: "it works, I'm not dead so whats the problem wench"... ? ) 8)

So, Strong Ibuprofen does seem to be a viable alternative to the prescription Naproxen 500 MG I was taking, infact it was much better.

I find it odd that you cannot get 600MG Ibuprofen in the UK, well certainly not over the counter without prescription.. :tk

Horus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Horus » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:03 pm

You can get proper tablets for Gout JL :D :lol: :lol:

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:15 pm

Yes, I am so old I am even suffering from Dickensian era illnesses.. :D
Too much port... Wot.. :wi

I'm sure its a conspiracy in the heavens to prevent me visiting the lake at Klagenfurt, which is what I intend to do each time I go there. I had planned to go there that day in my free time..

The town is lovely though, They have a Dragon in the Square, or Worm ( Lindwurm) as they call it...

'kin glad we dont have worms like that in my compost heap. 8)

The Pharmacy was named Head of the Worm, due to its location in the square, not difficult to find...

I will be stocking up on those tablets again when I go again after the summer.

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:10 am

You can get 800mg Ibuprofen in Luxor. Most useful when all else fails. I'm sadly giving up red wine for now as I had too much last week which resulted in horrendous left knee pain. Naproxen felt with that.

I gave up port years ago because of gout, which certainly proves the theory that it's an old man's drinking disease!

Horus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Horus » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:05 am

On a serious point for you guys, it is because you have raised levels of Uric Acid. Some years ago I was getting some terrible pain in my Achilles tendon and over the bridge of my foot. As I do a fair bit of walking I assumed that was the problem and suffered it for years. I eventually saw my doctor and that is what he diagnosed "you must be joking I sad" Gout? He then told me you can get gout at any age and it does not always mean a red painfull big toe. A quick bloodtest proved his diagnosis and he started me off on a low level dose of 'Allopurinol', they adjust the strength over a couple of blood tests until your Uric Acid drops below a certain level and you then take that dose every day of your life. He told me that this would ensure it never returned again, so far apart from the odd twinge it has never returned, so worth getting it checked out. :up

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:39 am

Thanks for the heads up Horus, :up

My pain was in the arch of my insole on my right foot. Like you I do loads of walking and had been walking about a couple of nights before and got caught in a real downpour while looking for somewhere to eat.
( the smoking ban hit temporarliy in Austria and caused lots of places I usually frequen to close, in hindsight the ban got lifted with less severe restrictions )

I only had my causal clothes and trainers on which i wear for the flight. I put my condition down to having freezing wet feet for a few hours, plus the walking I had been doing to and from the Data centre wich was about 2 miles away..

So far it has not returned, and if it does, I will get it checked out.. :tk

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:18 pm

I read with interest the various ailments that various people are suffering from on this forum. I see that many need anti-inflammatory and pain relief drugs, and notice that some are quite powerful, and can easily cause big problems when secreted, though I would not want to comment on any one individual case.

When we look at the problem of Osteoporosis it is weakness in the bones, that causes pain in the hands, though more importantly in the legs, in general hip and knee. The new modern thinking in the NHS these days is to move away from drugs, instead to teach the patient about weight, diet and exercise, however it is not that simple.

Ask some one their waist size, and they will give the measurement of their present day trousers, which more than likely fit four to six inches below their waist, when I fact, the waist measurement is just above the 'belly button'. Diet is also very important, not just less food, but the right food.

When we come to exercise, often it is said that people walk every day, but the question is for how long, at what speed, etc. it's like the machine without oil, it will still move, not so well, and eventually may grind very slowly, and inefficiently, some my say painfully, until it stops. Many in the medical world these days, believe that if we can put back the 'oil' into the limbs, then this will greatly reduce the need for drugs. What I mean by the 'oil' is to strengthen correctly the various muscles that are needed to be strong, before the person can carry out daily tasks successfully. For example: A person who walks a lot may still have very weak calf muscles, correct regular non-walking exercise will certainly improve pain free walking. Many hospitals in the U.K. have dedicated physiotherapy centres that give one hour weekly sessions over six or seven weeks, that teach the various techniques to improve the various muscles. ( Recommendation must be made through your G.P.)

P.S. - The problem is, most doctors these days, do not like to tell their patients that they are fat, eat crap food, and sit on their arse all day. :wi.

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:40 pm

A quick bloodtest proved his diagnosis and he started me off on a low level dose of 'Allopurinol', they adjust the strength over a couple of blood tests until your Uric Acid drops below a certain level
Does that mean you're back on the 'source'?

Horus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Horus » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:20 pm

Like yourself I enjoy a bottle of Shiraz or Merlot and it has not had any effect on or stops me from enjoying a tipple when I fancy one, I'm not guzzling it every day mind you. :lol: :lol: If you are asking if there is any prohibition on drinking red wine or alcohol when taking the treatment then no, obviously overdoing it would probably negate the efficacy of the treatment and contrary to popular belief you do not have to be old or overweight or to eat rich food to suffer from it. All of those things will exacerbate it if your body produces excess Uric Acid and to a degree life style can and will have a bearing on that, but a slim built teenager could suffer the same thing and do.