Ferries

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Ferries

Post by Major Thom » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:34 pm

There has been plenty of rain today in Luxor so the river may well be up a little.....

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:05 pm

It has rained a little hardly enough to raise the level of the Nile.

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Post by BBLUX » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:26 pm

New Ferry?? that is one of the old vehicle ferries from way back. I remember crossing on one of those back in 2001. Also used the same type near Minya a few years ago. Nothing new there at all.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:41 am

Well went across today and when I got to the ferry landing the "new" ferry was docked taking on passengers. The ramp to get on the ferry is quite steep and seats are placed opposite the entrance, some elderly ladies were sitting there. I decided that since there were no seats left on the ferry I would wait till the next. I refuse to stand all the way across clutching hold of the rails or sitting on the open engine housing.Whilst I was waiting a motor cyclist came along and tried to get his bike onto the ferry, because of the steepness of the ramp he had to increase his speed, very very nearly did he run into the old ladies sitting there. The new ferry is an accident waiting to happen. Old decrepit and with the seats not being fastened down dangerous. As I was waiting for the next ferry to pull in I got into conversation with some other ladies and we discussed the ferry they agreed that it was awful but said well you know us from upper Egypt we don't complain.
The cost of the ferry has increased and the service offered has diminished.
Whilst I am in moaning mood, the village is to have the pavements renewed, they have been dug up for sometime and now large slabs of concrete have appeared and laid randomly all along the road. Obstacle course to get into the shops.
It's about time the people from upper Egypt did start to complain.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:03 pm

Oh,......how awful.

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:45 pm

On Luxor News Live Facebook page, photos of one of the "Pharaonic" ferries involved in damage and injury to motorboats. Google translate (as usual) is not clear on details.
Carpe diem! :le:

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:06 pm

BBLUX wrote:New Ferry?? that is one of the old vehicle ferries from way back. I remember crossing on one of those back in 2001. Also used the same type near Minya a few years ago. Nothing new there at all.
Oh it's back to those old ferries, I remember the evening ferry on the upper deck, there seemed to be a huge long pole that laid on the floor, being that the upper decks was always in the dark, certain tourist ladies dressed in their evening crinoline would ascend to the upper deck, perhaps for the first time, as many often noted, where suddenly, unceremoniously trip over the damn think,...........that told the regulars on that ferry,.........everything.

The very small ferry always operated after 1 a.m. Until about five, sometime I would full asleep on the old bench next to the engine room, quite smashed. Wake up about 4, to find a blanket over me that was alive with cockroaches, for God sake. I always ensured I got rid of every one, long before I got home,...........get them in yer house, then you got them for life,.........yer might as well move out.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:45 am

Egyptians refrain from complaining because they know its a pointless exercise, no mater how many shout.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:45 pm

Dusak wrote:Egyptians refrain from complaining because they know its a pointless exercise, no mater how many shout.
One of the best one line jobs I have ever read on this forum, and to know how true that statement is,............you have to live there.